Humax foxsat HDR, neither of use nor ornament

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by moggith, Feb 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. moggith

moggith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got one last week and couldnt wait to get it home-

Having shelled out a small fortune on a good quality HD ready Panasonic plasma, I was looking forward to see what my TV could really do,

BBC hd is awesome PQ , but there is nothing on worth watching, it doesnt start until early evening, then has nearly 2hrs of kids programs!

ITV hardly shows any hd content, and when it did the other evening I couldnt get it to work -constant banner saying page loading and that was it!,I have also read about other users not getting the red HD button come up at all!

the SD PQ is ok on some channels, and really awful on others -especially ITV, to the point where its like watching the screen through a net curtain (PQ all washed out and hazy)

compared to my trusty topfield on freeview, the PQ quality on SD is not good, and the EPG on the hummy is slow to scroll through? whereas by 2 year old toppy is lightening fast

The menus are cumbersome to navigate through, and take an age to load and scroll through

It often doesnt record stuff you have asked it to,and the remote has to be in direct line of site to work,

When it scans and adds new channels, you lose your recording schedule.

I must say how very dissapointed I am with this box and service it provides, I have been waiting a long time for this to come out, and then waited an age to find one in stock - and having finally gotten hold of one, I have since taken it back for a refund.

I have read so many good reviews on this box, but equally lots of threads on forums about its niggles and quirks.

For a £300 outlay just to watch a few programs, that possibly wont record anyway is a bit of a joke.

Before buying, have alook at the freesat homepage, there is a link to what is on in HD for the coming week - weigh up if £300 is a worthy spend to watch these programs -the lineup is pretty poor!

I know there are some great reviews and loads of really happy owners, and these are just my thoughts on my own owning experience, but I Just wanted to have a bit of a rant, and also to warn others that this may not be all its cracked up to be - and if you still want to go and get one, make sure who ever you buy it from will let you take it back if you are not happy with it

lets hope the service improves in the future! and that this happens quickly

2. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Very interesting......just returning a Metronic HD box with an audio fault, but the PQ was excellent on HD (as it should be) and pretty good on SD as well...not as good as my Hummy Freeview PVR (and thats very good) but very acceptable for the bandwidth available....very watchable at least!

Think I'll step off the FSHD bandwagon for a few stops....at least until there are a few more choices available.....could be a while, but might be worth it, after all its quite an outlay for something that is excellent on two occasional HD channels and just Ok on others :(

Best regards David

3. rbrian

rbrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I can't get Freeview where I live, so I can't compare, but the Humax HDR provides a much better SD signal than the Amstrad Sky+ it replaced. This may be because the Hummy is connected with HDMI, the Amstrad could only use Scart?

I agree the menu system is slightly more complicated, but everything I've set to record has recorded - it didn't always with Sky+. There are of course foibles, as there are with any new product - like not being able to delete anything when the box is recording. I expect most of these will be fixed with a firmware update.

4. moggith

moggith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes I agree - the SD PQ is far better than Sky SD, and again far better than analgue -

5. pgrayem

pgrayem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to get the red button for itv hd you need to be on itv london ch 977

because of space on the astra 2d sat itv cant offer hd in all regions

paul

6. Caz41

Caz41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I've had my box for 2 days and I'm very happy so far. I thought everyone knew there weren't many HD progs being broadcast at the moment. I'm looking forward to watching a few that I've set to record as when you search, the Humax will tell you what is available in HD which I think is great. I've found the menu systems fine, maybe not as fast as my Inverto, but then it's a matter of getting used to them after using my freeview PVR for so long. I think sometimes we get stuck in our old ways and need to give other things a chance. Picture quality is good in SD and fab in HD. My remote works very well so far, wondering if maybe those who have found this a problem have a faullty one.
    I got the humax so I could record from channels not on Freeview, for example, my 2 True Movie channels and I also love some of the old movies on the new channel Simply movies and the I love the Reality channel so will be recording lots from that too. I can't do any of this with any freeview PVR. It's a matter of what you enjoy and whether Freesat offers channels that you will gain from, and for me, it definately has. It also gives me an extra tuner when analogue is switched off next year as I will definately need this. So far, I have recorded around 10 progs, all have recorded with no problems and I only have one feed going in too.
    If the humax carries on performing as well as it has so far, then I am delighted with it and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys Freesat :thumbsup:

7. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Aw poo........now what do I do? :rolleyes::)

8. reghorse

reghorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ITV HD And red button ok here on Central,but i agree with Moggith that HD Content is Poor: very little on ITV, Kids programs and repeat after repeat on BBC.But because of poor Freeview here i wanted the Hummy for the EPG and its PVR. That side of it i cant fault.

9. IanS

IanS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    The comparative quality of the broadcast programming and the lack of HD content and timing of that content is no fault of the Foxsat though is it?

10. moggith

moggith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    totally agree- its just with the glitches on the box and the poor content, i fail to see how this expensive box can currently live up to its name and hype

I agree with a previous post, i will leave things a while - let hummy iron out the bugs and let our tv companies get their acts together before i put my hand in my pocket again.

also - i have just seen that Dexter isnt broadcast in HD on ITV either! - this is in HD in the USA

11. jamesy999

jamesy999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
  12. derek500

derek500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +497
    And it's in HD on Sky HD. It is also broadcast in DD5.1. The opening sequence alone is worth the HD sub!!

13. derek500

derek500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +497
    Did you not check the schedules to see what HD programming there is, before you bought the box?