Humax Foxsat HDR - Installation help please

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by JTM555, May 10, 2018.

1. JTM555

JTM555
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have bought a second hand but hardly used Humax Foxsat HDR which I am trying to install. This is my first PVR, so no previous experience at all. I have an old tv with a scart connection, so I have put the lead from the sky dish into the Humax (only have a single satellite cable at the moment) and a scart between the tv and the Humax. I changed the postcode to mine and searched for and saved the channels but when I try to go to the next step i.e, Finish, to complete the installation, it just takes me back to the postcode page. What am I doing wrong? Is it me or is the box faulty?

Is it because I haven't done loop through (don't even know what that means or does) which it says to do in the booklet but when I looked up connections on the internet, it didn't mention needing to use loop through if connecting with a single cable only and as I managed to get up the installation process, I assumed the way I had it set up meant it was working. Can anyone tell me what I need to do (in very simple terms) please?

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,087
    You need a short cable from tuner 1 out to tuner 2 in. You can make your own with a short length of coax and two screw on f connectors.

Google how to fit a f connector.

This is because the software assumes tuner 2 has a feed from tuner 1. This allows two channel recording and 3rd channel viewing with some restrictions compared to two cable working.

However it shouldn't stop you setting up the box, the only effect is it will let you make recording reservations that are not possible because tuner 2 has no feed.

If you have access to the menus try a reset to factory defaults (default pin is 0000). This should then go into setup.

3. JTM555

JTM555
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much for your reply :). As it happens, I had switched the box completely off in annoyance at my repeated, unsuccessful attempts, when I turned it back on to try again the picture just came up on it's own and everything seems to be working ok, so I didn't need to do the reset but thank you anyway.

Thank you also for the info re the loop through, that was very helpful and well explained :thumbsup:, I will have to get that sorted but at least I can use it in the meantime, I had a feeling it was something to do with the recording.

There are some strange foreign recordings still on it (I got it off ebay) not naughty:laugh: just foreign talking programmes so I wondered if it's come from abroad. The seller told me it had hardly been used, just to test a satellite connection, but there are a number of these foreign recordings over a few months. Would it make any detrimental difference to the box, if it is from abroad, in the way that it operates or anything over here?

4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,087
    They were probably made using non-freesat mode with a dish aligned on a different location to 28.2E. The Foxsat-hdr can be used with multiple lnbs or a motorised dish. They will make no difference to using the box. You can just delete them if you don't want them.