Humax Foxsat HDR: HDD is not formatted. Formatting will start

DistortedVision

Established Member
Reaction score
My Humax Foxsat is displaying error 'HDD is not formatted. Formatting will start' after prelonged 'Boot' being displayed on the display panel followed by 'Custom FW v4.0.8'. I just power down the box as I do not want to lose any recordings.

I'm using Raydon’s Media and File Server Bundle for the Humax FoxsatHDR – Release 4 and I've tried reinstalling it which is sucessful but the issue persists.

Anyone please advise how best to proceed so I avoid losing any recordings. I know I could remove the HDD and recover the recordings with a PC but I'd prefer not to have to reformat the HDD.

Many thanks!

PS Apologies that this has been posted elsewhere but I've not received any replies and I need to sort it out urgently.

I suspect the hard drive will need to be removed and checked in a PC. However, it may be too far gone to recover the recordings.

Took the HDD out and can see all the partitions, directories and files in Windows. Copying everything from the HDD and then going to run Seagate Seatools to check the drive but I know its out of warranty.

Put the original 320Gb HDD in the Foxsat and its working perfectly. I was thinking about upgrading the HDD anyway but if you saw my other thread I cannot find a list of compatible models.

Many thanks!

I'd suggest using a recent Linux live CD, and running e2fsck against the four partitions on the hard drive.

Your Windows software might be able to read them, but it may not fix any problems in the filesystems.

Surely if the disc can be read on a PC, the format is wrong for the HDR?

Surely if the disc can be read on a PC, the format is wrong for the HDR?

Presumably the OP has a EXT3 driver installed like EXT2FS.

My suggestion would be to run Seatools for Windows (long test) to check drive integrity and then "e2fsck against the four partitions" as Nowster suggested to fix any file system errors.

if you can copy any recordings off first that would be good in Windows "Presumably the OP has a EXT3 driver installed like EXT2FS" as GLT thinks.

Good luck. :)

Thank you everyone. Yes I have EXT2FS installed.

I've run e2fsck on all four partitions - they were quite a few on the main partition which has the Video directory which contains all the recordings. I'm just copying all the files from it before I run Seatools on the drive.

I've copied and pasted the console session showing the outcome of running e2fsck on each of the partitions:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105925038/e2fsck.txt

Last edited:
did you manage to get the data in the end? I have the exact same problem and this message appears all the time. i called the company and said with great nerve, "there is nothing we can do, this happens to every 3 machines out of 100.... I am now searching for a place to send my recorder in case they can manage to get the videos. When I press record, the message "there is no space, please erase videos before recording" or something like that. Do you think that I will manage to get the data, as you did? did you do it yourself or you went somewhere? and if yes, and you are too in London, could you share this info? :) I am getting crazy here, the recordings were for research purposes and now I am nearly having a heart attack. Also, do you know the type of HDD this stupid box has? I was asked by several people today, they need to know before i sent the box for repair... I am willing to pay whatever, for these data.. i have checked the manual but cannot find on the type of the HDD.. any advice would be extremely appreciated...

Take the top off and remove the plugs from the HDD and main board then replace them, it could be a bad contact if you are in luck!
Use a Linux live CD or install EXT2FS on a PC and save your recordings, you will need a USB/ESATA caddy to pop the HDD into and space on your PC HDD or another USB drive. I had this happen a couple of years ago, saved the recordings then reformatted, its been fine ever since! so dont grab for the razor yet.

Hi Natsin,

Yes I did recover all the data. I ran e2fsck in Slax Linux to repair all the partitions. I then copied all the data in Windows which has EXT2FS installed.

The Seagate Pipeline 1Tb HDD reported faulty in Seagate SeaTools. The original HDD is a Seagate Pipeline 320Gb.

One point of advice. I was having problems running e2fsck with the HDD in an external caddy. No idea why. Everything fine when connected internally using SATA cable to the motherboard.

Guys thank you soo much for the advice. It is really nice to see that people are willing to share information with others and take the time to write to a stranger- I am new to this forum :) . I will pass your advice and suggestions to the "data recovery company" I am going to pick in order to retrieve the data. I have no idea about technology, I found this wonderful forum after searching on the web- the moment the guy from the company told me that "there is no way you can retrieve the data. Do the format"!!!!!. With the little knowledge i have, I understood that by following his advice and doing the format, there was no hope of ever getting anything back.. I did a mistake, though, when describing the recorder, as I was having a panic attack at the moment :( . I have a 500 gb recorder, not a 320 gb one. I suppose the suggestions apply again, with the exception of the Seagate Pipeline, as I probably have the Seagate Pipeline 500 gb..? All the other advice, I suppose, remains the same. right? Again, I am grateful for your time and kindness! Wish you all the best!

Natsin,

I really wouldn't waste your money paying a Data Recovery Company. Recovering your recordings is straightforward. You only need to execute a single command (4 times) in Linux. The risk of you losing your data is low.

Guys,

I followed your advice, and with a knowledgable friend I took the disc out and checked it out. The disc seems to be worn out. we downloaded a program (like the one the data recovery companies have) in order to correct the file system...but it would not work. I would like to ask you: do you know any programs that I can download from the internet that would be suitable for the seagate hard disc? This is my last hope for getting back the videos and this has to do with my PhD project- it is not just recording for entertainment purposes. Any help at this point would be lifesaving

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom