• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Humax Foxsat HDR - Different Front Panel Display!

spark001uk

Standard Member
Unbelievable!! I've trawled the net for ages and found absolutely no mention of this. So now i'm mentioning it!

Is it just me or can anybody see the blatant misrepresentation in almost all the images of the Foxsat HDR on the web? What i'm talking about is the display - in virtually all the photos i've seen, it shows a lovely dot-matrix VFD (vacuum fluorescent display) behind a black front panel. What i saw when i actually received one, was a tacky looking backlit LCD display shining through a clear cutout in the front panel!!

Someone's got to have noticed this! Anyone?? :)

Attachments

• hudiff1.jpg
    hudiff1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 254

RoadBlock2000

Standard Member
This looks just like the VFD display I have in my Antec Fusion PC case. All the promotional pictures showed a well contrasted display but the reality is just like your picture. It may be worth contacting Humax to voice your concerns?

Ghostleader

Unbelievable!! I've trawled the net for ages and found absolutely no mention of this. So now i'm mentioning it!

Is it just me or can anybody see the blatant misrepresentation in almost all the images of the Foxsat HDR on the web? What i'm talking about is the display - in virtually all the photos i've seen, it shows a lovely dot-matrix VFD (vacuum fluorescent display) behind a black front panel. What i saw when i actually received one, was a tacky looking backlit LCD display shining through a clear cutout in the front panel!!

Whooa!, that really is completely different looking from the promo shot, it's like the Vacuum display isnt mounted right & theres excess LED light bursting through all ways & making the text looking washed out. I have owned the Fortec Passion+ & own the Technomate 6800HD+ & the VFD display is very good & looks like the promo shots on their site's etc.:)

logiciel

Yes, they're both fine on mine, but does anyone ever actually use them?

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member

Can't say I have... mine doesn't look as bad as the one on the photo but there is a difference. Either the original is a rendering or it still has the protective strip along the front screen, that would reduce the brightness and may photograph darker than it actually is.

A tinted piece of clear plastic placed inside the front panel may be a quick DIY fix?

spark001uk

Standard Member
A tinted piece of clear plastic placed inside the front panel may be a quick DIY fix?

Yes, a guy on another forum did a really nice looking fix HERE , but the post is so old i can't get hold of him to find out exactly how he achieved it!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom