Humax Foxsat HDR custom firmware how to video help please!

mrminibus

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a Humax Foxsat HDR and for many years I have wanted to load the custom firmware but it looks complex.
I have searched for a step by step video and just can't find anything to follow, can some kind person please point me in the right direction?

All the instructions are in the download. Basically you flash it in the same way as you would update the box firmware by copying a file to a usb stick.

The Foxsat needs to be connected to a home network. Once installed you access it using a web browser by entering the Foxsat IP address on your network.

I can PM you a link to download the archive from.

Read the first post in the long thread. There's a readme file with instructions in the CF download .rar file. Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR - Release 4 - PART 6

1) Connect -HDR to your home router via the ethernet cable connection. It needs to download files from the internet to install after the initial one off a USB stick:

2) Download the custom firmware http://hpkg.tv/foxsat/raydons_Media_and_File_Server_Bundle_for_the_Foxsat_HDR_release_4.1.3.rar and extract the files to a small usb stick or sd card in a usb reader

Read the readme for how to do the rest of the install. It's simple enough.

3) To give you ability to not encrypt future HD recordings on the -HDR follow these instructions Humax Foxsat HDR custom firmware: Mediatomb HD playback

4) Read the user manual installed on the -HDR via the Web IF

EDIT X-post with Graham but with very similar advice :clap:

Thank you Rodders53. I will get onto it now. One thing - Do you know where I can get the original firmware if I manage to cock the system up and have to try to install the custom firmware from scratch for any reason?

Thank you Rodders53. I will get onto it now. One thing - Do you know where I can get the original firmware if I manage to cock the system up and have to try to install the custom firmware from scratch for any reason?
That's extremely unlikely. You installed and have been using the CF 4.1.2 for many years.

Only issue can be with usb stick recognition fail (when nothing happens) - small sticks are best. I've successfully used SD cards in a USB reader.

But Google* will find you the original firmware and loader software ... One place is Humax Foxsat HDR Firmware/Software Upgrade Problems

* Other search engines are available

Great. I have the original small memory stick I used when I first installed the CF so I'll use it again. Thanks for your help.

Great. I have the original small memory stick I used when I first installed the CF so I'll use it again. Thanks for your help.

You will not need it the Humax settop app in the latest CF archive is stable and has been since the last update in 2016 to fix a non recording capability for the red button olympic channels during the London Olympics. And in any case the intermediate updates are no longer transmitted OTA.

There is small problem with the channel editor package that lets you add non freesat channels to Freesat mode and set manual recording reservations and particulary with Channel 4- HD.

If you have a terrestrial Freeview-HD recording device you will not need this anyway.

There is a couple of temporary fixes neither of which is completely satisfactory.

Sorry to revive an older thread - please let me know if I should start a new one!

I have a Foxsat HDR running U7.54 and 1.00.21, and I can choose from the Settings menu to switch to Non-Freesat channels and manually punch in the channel number for Channel 4 HD (5203 or something like that).

My parents have the same receiver running U7.53 and 1.00.21, but the option to switch to Non-Freesat channels isn't even in the menu structure.

Would upgrading to Raymon's CF make this option available? My parents don't need the Media Player stuff so it would just be the custom firmware that I would be installing....

What you are doing has nothing to do with the CF.

There's no non-freesat menu option 'cos they haven't tuned the box in manual mode first.
Page 46 of :rtfm:

But you are gonna have to be there or very very carefully hand-hold them through the needed steps and only tune in the C4HD transponder (plus other wanted non-freesat ones) - otherwise it's far too many channels to find the ones you want afterwards!

What you are doing has nothing to do with the CF.

There's no non-freesat menu option 'cos they haven't tuned the box in manual mode first.
Page 46 of :rtfm:

But you are gonna have to be there or very very carefully hand-hold them through the needed steps and only tune in the C4HD transponder (plus other wanted non-freesat ones) - otherwise it's far too many channels to find the ones you want afterwards!
OK now I feel a bit sheepish - as soon as I read this I remembered how I had set mine up (it was a long time ago) - next time I go round I will do the manual set up. Thanks!

OK now I feel a bit sheepish - as soon as I read this I remembered how I had set mine up (it was a long time ago) - next time I go round I will do the manual set up. Thanks!
Hah!
I forgot that too fairly recently when I did a cleardown full reset to try to cure my CF -HDR 'forgetting' C4 HD regularly. Spent ages wondering why that menu option was missing! :blush:

I've given up on C4 HD now and record it in SD.

Don't know if this will help you, but I have my Foxsat HDR set to power on at 12:30 pm and off at 12:40 pm each day, set on CH HD (5001)
I get zero missed recordings on CH HD, whether the power on/off is the reason why I'm not sure, but it seems to work.
Of course the recording has to be a manual timed reservation, but other than that, and the potential for human error setting the correct time & day, all works fine for me.

Sorry to revive an older thread - please let me know if I should start a new one!

I have a Foxsat HDR running U7.54 and 1.00.21, and I can choose from the Settings menu to switch to Non-Freesat channels and manually punch in the channel number for Channel 4 HD (5203 or something like that).

My parents have the same receiver running U7.53 and 1.00.21, but the option to switch to Non-Freesat channels isn't even in the menu structure.

Would upgrading to Raymon's CF make this option available? My parents don't need the Media Player stuff so it would just be the custom firmware that I would be installing....

I would agree with the previous poster - it's not really something that I would advise trying to talk somebody through remotely, especially one's parents!

OTOH, if you can safely get physical access to the HDR (bearing in mind that you will also need to give it a connection to the Internet during the process) then it should be pretty straightforward for you to install the custom software and then use it to add C4 HD to the Freesat channel list (so your folks won't have to switch to non-Freesat mode to view it).

hopefully someone can help ,i have a humax 1000s freesat box and had c4hd in non freesat mode but it seems to have moved,both 11126 and 11127 show c4 hd and 4 seven as channels found but its not hd.

Thanks for the reply,box has always been 1080, picture is sd looks awful,no hd on the logo,pcm stereo,I don't get it,

Attachments

• PXL_20210419_161844166.jpg
    PXL_20210419_161844166.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 168
  • PXL_20210419_161914605.jpg
    PXL_20210419_161914605.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 126
  • PXL_20210419_161954592.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210419_161954592.MP.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 109
It's a problem with your kit/setup or plain old finger trouble?

Factory Reset the sat box?
Rescan in non-freesat mode to add only that Tp.
47 is SD 4HD is --- erm HD.

As evidenced by digitalbitrate snapshots and all the $ky viewers who are not complaining.

C4 in freesat mode is SD only, PCM stereo and you can't see C4HD unless in non-freesat mode on a 1000S. Suggesting finger trouble and watching in freesat mode to me?

Just to prove it's OK I've just scanned the Tp on my Foxsat-HDR and it's 100% in HD, 1080i, DD, has the 4HD logo and is showing an upscaled Frasier
My Foxsat keeps 'forgetting' the channel otherwise I'd use it to record the better programmes via Custom Firmware.

Hi guys, sorry to ask a slightly different question... I've tuned in ch4 HD in stb mode. But the switching between freesat and stb mode is slightly annoying.

Does raydons custom firmware keep all the stuff I have now and add ch4 HD to the epg to be able to record or is it just not that easy 😢😢😢

CF has it's own thread - worth a scan-read through. to get a feel for it. As well as the CF you should install nowster's patch.

C4HD is not added to the EPG in freesat mode. You use the CF 'channel editor' plugin to make C4HD visible in freesat mode. Then you need to set recordings on C4 SD; then edit the reservation to point to the C4HD version and then make it a daily/weekly/ timed recording. No series linking or accurate time recording.
Or just make manual timed recording reservations of the channel.

But it does allow C4HD to be recorded and watched without switching from freesat to non-freesat mode.

Hi All,

Just as a bit of a thank you to the great community supporting these devices with custom firmware and forum discussions. I did a bit of a 'quick and dirty' video on how to install the custom firmware.

All feedback/comments welcomed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom