Humax FOXSAT HDR Copying to USB

thanks for the help.

i can't play the file though so maybe something is wrong with it.

vlc says

"No suitable decoder module:
VLC does not support the audio or video format "undf". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this."

Very strange even my lowly laptop will make a fist of replaying BBC HD using vlc, it's a bit choppy though.

Try this, switch to non-freesat mode and tune to BBC HD. Turn off the hdr for about a minute. Reboot the hdr and now make an instant recording (it has to be longer than 30 sec about 45 sec is fine).

Now copy this to a usb and try replaying it.

If you extract the 3 files from this 17mbps clip you can try playing the .ts on your PC and if you copy all 3 to usb you should be able to play back on your hdr (note the picture quality at 17mbps)

4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download RobinHoodHD.zip

Thanks for helping graham.

i've recorded a snippet from BBC HD on non-freesat mode as you said and although it doesn't play properly on my low spec laptop it does open with vlc and its obvious it would play if my laptop was able to cope with it.
The same applies to the robin hood clip you supplied.

i've copied the problem file (doctor who bbc1 hd) back to the humax and it does play on there ok so the file must be ok.
In file manager on the humax the copied doctor who file on the usb stick has got a symbol next to it that looks like a round circle with a red cross next to it.

i suppose it must be protected but i thopught you were allowed to copy them just once.

Thanks for helping graham.

i've recorded a snippet from BBC HD on non-freesat mode as you said and although it doesn't play properly on my low spec laptop it does open with vlc and its obvious it would play if my laptop was able to cope with it.
The same applies to the robin hood clip you supplied.

i've copied the problem file (doctor who bbc1 hd) back to the humax and it does play on there ok so the file must be ok.
In file manager on the humax the copied doctor who file on the usb stick has got a symbol next to it that looks like a round circle with a red cross next to it.

i suppose it must be protected but i thopught you were allowed to copy them just once.

The symbol means that it's encrypted and has been copied once.

The symbol means that it's encrypted and has been copied once.

so does that mean that the only way to play it is on the humax ?

i was hoping to convert to mpeg2 and put it onto a DVD so my daughter could watch it in her bedroom.

so does that mean that the only way to play it is on the humax ?

i was hoping to convert to mpeg2 and put it onto a DVD so my daughter could watch it in her bedroom.

Yes it does. Only way is to record the hdr output to a dvd recorder, or re-record a repeat in SD

Yes it does. Only way is to record the hdr output to a dvd recorder, or re-record a repeat in SD

Is it encrypted because i recorded it in freesat mode using the timer set recording, in other words would it have made any difference if i had manually recorded it in non-freesat mode ?

I'm just trying to find out for future reference what is the best way to record HD broadcasts in order to be able to view them on my pc.

thanks for the help

Is it encrypted because i recorded it in freesat mode using the timer set recording, in other words would it have made any difference if i had manually recorded it in non-freesat mode ?

I'm just trying to find out for future reference what is the best way to record HD broadcasts in order to be able to view them on my pc.

thanks for the help

If you had followed the instruction to enter freesat mode and then reeboot, it would not have been encrypted. You have to start the recording manually although if you press record a second time you can set a duration

If you had followed the instruction to enter freesat mode and then reeboot, it would not have been encrypted. You have to start the recording manually although if you press record a second time you can set a duration

so recordings don't have to be done in non-freesat mode as long as they are done manually, is that correct ?

i'm a bit confused, what instructions do you mean ?

so have i got these steps right :

step 1. enter freesat mode and then reeboot, select channel and start the recording manually

When recording has finished

step 2. enter non-freesat mode and then reeboot and copy files onto USB memory stick

Last edited:
so recordings don't have to be done in non-freesat mode as long as they are done manually, is that correct ?

i'm a bit confused, what instructions do you mean ?

so have i got these steps right :

step 1. enter freesat mode and then reeboot, select channel and start the recording manually

When recording has finished

step 2. enter non-freesat mode and then reeboot and copy files onto USB memory stick

See my post 09:58 yesterday

Nearly when you go into non-freesat and reboot it reboots back to non-freesat not freesat mode. You wait for the recording to start and press instant record. Press it again to set the recording duration. You can't have a freesat mode recording reservation within the recording period. If it's further away than 15mins it will stop the non freesat recording, switch back to freesat mode to make the recording.

When the recording has finished you will still be in non-freesat mode. It does not matter what mode you are in to copy the non encrypted recording to usb

i think i've got it now.
After reading your post regarding 'the dodge' i was thinking that you had to do the non-freesat reboot thingy when you transfer/copy the files over to the usb memory stick.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/11717089-post214.html

I see now that the importance of the non-freesat mode reboot is when you are actually recording the tv station, if this is the case then all my HD recordings will be no use to me because i recorded them in freesat mode using the timer function. doh

At least i know for next time, assuming my understanding above is right.

Sorry but i'm not very techy and find it hard to grasp things like this :)

Last edited:
i think i've got it now.
After reading your post regarding 'the dodge' i was thinking that you had to do the non-freesat reboot thingy when you transfer/copy the files over to the usb memory stick.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/11717089-post214.html

I see now that the importance of the non-freesat mode reboot is when you are actually recording the tv station, if this is the case then all my HD recordings will be no use to me because i recorded them in freesat mode using the timer function. doh

At least i know for next time, assuming my understanding above is right.

Sorry but i'm not very techy and find it hard to grasp things like this :)

You have it right :smashin:

I have been copying SD recordings to my pc for a few days quite successfully and hd appeared to work fine as well until I went to watch it. The video converted easy enough but for some reason there were audio descriptions on all HD recordings. Any tips on how to remove the audio descriptions?

I recorded many videos on humax usb drive to take with me on holiday only to find that they can't play on a mini media player I have just bought. Could someone please guide me to best and free media converter I can use. Since my usb drive files can't be seen on Vista but are visible on linix. It looks like I have to download a linix based media converter. But once these vidoes are converted, could I then have them copied to a usb drive with fat32 which is compatible with the mini media player. Your help is hugely appreciated.

I recorded many videos on humax usb drive to take with me on holiday only to find that they can't play on a mini media player I have just bought. Could someone please guide me to best and free media converter I can use. Since my usb drive files can't be seen on Vista but are visible on linix. It looks like I have to download a linix based media converter. But once these vidoes are converted, could I then have them copied to a usb drive with fat32 which is compatible with the mini media player. Your help is hugely appreciated.
Try installing Ext2 IFS For Windows

Still haven't solve my problem with HD though. Doesn't matter too much as I am converting to lower than SD. I just recorded a load of HD over Christmas that is clogging the hard disk.

That software only allows you to access your ext formatted files. It does not let you play videos recorded on humax unfortunately.

I have managed to copy Freesat HD files to an attached USB Ext3 hard drive. I didn't need to go through the non-Freesat route - I just copied them from Freesat. I can play the file on my Windows 7 PC using Windows Media Player, but although I can see the video, I can't hear the sound.

MediaInfo gives the following information:
------------------------------------
General
ID : 2050 (0x802)
Complete name : K:\Heir Hunters_20110309_0954.ts
Format : BDAV
Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
File size : 148 MiB
Duration : 2mn 22s
Overall bit rate : 8 701 Kbps

Video
ID : 5400 (0x1518)
Menu ID : 6941 (0x1B1D)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : 27
Bit rate : 7 896 Kbps
Width : 1 440 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : MBAFF
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.203
Stream size : 134 MiB (91%)
Color primaries : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
Transfer characteristics : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio #1
ID : 5401 (0x1519)
Menu ID : 6941 (0x1B1D)
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Codec ID : 6
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 192 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : -1s 27ms
Stream size : 3.26 MiB (2%)
Language : English
------------------------------

Any ideas on how to get the sound working on the PC? I notice it is AC-3 rather than the MPEG Audio of the SD files - which do play properly on the PC.

I dropped the HD file into Corel VideoStudio and saved it out as an AVC HD file and that does play the sound as well as the video. The converted file is also AC-3 - so why won't the origonal sound play?

My experiments were done with small recorded files, which were easy to transfer. I did try transfering an episode of Eastenders in HD and, although it did copy, the Faxsat crashed and rebooted after about 26 mins were copied - 1.54GB. The incomplete HD file does play, but no sound again, as before.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Ray D

Any ideas on how to get the sound working on the PC? I notice it is AC-3 rather than the MPEG Audio of the SD files - which do play properly on the PC.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Ray D
The HDR doesn't write headers properly in its .ts files (or something like that), which doesn't matter for playback on the HDR itself.

I sometimes get this lack of sound on playback in Win7, and the solution is to run the file thru tsMuxer, a small free utility - works for me.

What settings do you use in TsMuxer? I tried it with the default settings and it produces a video file which isn't recognised by either WMP or MediaInfo.

Cheers,

Ray D

What settings do you use in TsMuxer? I tried it with the default settings and it produces a video file which isn't recognised by either WMP or MediaInfo.

Cheers,

Ray D
I just use the defaults, it tells me the file doesn't have any frame rate set (I presume this is one of the "missing" bits not written by the HDR), inserts 25fps, and very quickly muxes it, and is then playable in WMP, and VLC.

I'm not at home, so I can't tell you the exact settings, but as I said, I didn't change any.

I've just tried passing the HD files through VideoReDo version 4 and remuxxing. Works a treat and they can be edited at the same time :)

Cheers,

Ray D

As a novice Forum User, I think I should probably start a new thread. BUT I don't know how to do that, and some of the posts on this thread seem relevant.

I have had the Foxsat HDR since they were first available, our area having been an early switch over to digital, and am very happy with it.

Except, I keep stuff a while and generally run with the drive 90% full, which occasionally means that I lose a recording (cos it has got to 100% full) and cannot keep stuff long term as I would like to.

Reading posts on this thread, it looks as though I might be able to connect a USB Hard Drive - I have just looked and there is 1 USB socket at the back of the box.

Can I connect a hard drive this way, and record to it and play from it?

If not, someone refers to copying to USB storage. Could I copy to an external HDD and then copy back to play?

And does this work from standard Foxsat features, or do you have to use software add ons? If the latter, that would likely be beyond me, so is there any other solution for overcoming my shortage of long term storage space?

THanks for any help.

As a novice Forum User, I think I should probably start a new thread. BUT I don't know how to do that, and some of the posts on this thread seem relevant.

I have had the Foxsat HDR since they were first available, our area having been an early switch over to digital, and am very happy with it.

Except, I keep stuff a while and generally run with the drive 90% full, which occasionally means that I lose a recording (cos it has got to 100% full) and cannot keep stuff long term as I would like to.

Reading posts on this thread, it looks as though I might be able to connect a USB Hard Drive - I have just looked and there is 1 USB socket at the back of the box.

Can I connect a hard drive this way, and record to it and play from it?

If not, someone refers to copying to USB storage. Could I copy to an external HDD and then copy back to play?

And does this work from standard Foxsat features, or do you have to use software add ons? If the latter, that would likely be beyond me, so is there any other solution for overcoming my shortage of long term storage space?

THanks for any help.

You can connect a USB device which can be a hard disk in a USB caddy - this is a standard feature. This also allows you to copy files from the HDR to the caddy but not to record directly to it - at the end of the copy process (not quick) you will be asked if you want to delete the original. You can play files that are on a USB device - you do not have to copy them back to the internal HDR drive.
If you have a esata connection on you PC finding a caddy with one also will also allow viewing from your PC.
There is also a setup option to delete files automatically when the hard disk is full.
If the filesystem on the CADDY disk is FAT32 (Normal) then there is a 4GB limit that the filing system will not let you exceed (Some HD recordings may exceed this).

having gratefully read this thread I have made some progress....if I put in a usb stick the green button is not greyed out , so I presume I can record ok [ the only usb stick I have is too small ]

but what I want to use is a small HDD ; I have formatted it and turned it into FAT 32 , set all to 0's , no partitions , plugged in , recognised

no green button like with usb stick , can't download

what have I done wrong

having gratefully read this thread I have made some progress....if I put in a usb stick the green button is not greyed out , so I presume I can record ok [ the only usb stick I have is too small ]

but what I want to use is a small HDD ; I have formatted it and turned it into FAT 32 , set all to 0's , no partitions , plugged in , recognised

no green button like with usb stick , can't download

what have I done wrong

You have to have one device selected in both panes e.g. hard disk on left, USB on right.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom