Humax Foxsat HDR chopped the end of the Olympic Closing Ceremony

Gadgee

Standard Member
Not for the first time has the Humax chopped the end of a program and a certain other person is spitting tacks having lost the last 5 mins of the closing ceremony!!

I am aware of the risk of pressing the red button to do an 'instant record' if the programme overruns but had thought that recording from the EPG would ensure that the PVR would take its start/stop times from the broadcaster's signal.

I have checked my Recording Settings and Start Time is set to Auto and End Time is set to 5 minutes after.

The information for the Closing Ceremony recording file shows the actual time to be 21:00~23:35 whereas the program was scheduled for 21:11 to 23:30.

Any ideas on how to avoid this happening in the future welcomed.

Anybody else have the problem with the ceremony?

Thanks in advance for any help.

GaseousClay

It's possible to make a reservation via the epg and then manually edit it, I think it's a yellow button option whilst viewing the recording schedules. Alternatively pressing the record button twice on an instant record offers the user a duration setting. Once the duration graphic appears just use the left and right cursor buttns to edit the values.

The problem with edited reservations and even buffered timings as you have found out is that if a program over runs the box wont make any allowances for it.

Last edited:

Gadgee

Standard Member
Thanks to the last two respondents.

To the chap who suggested editing the end time via the Schedule screen - can be done but don't fancy telling herself that she needs to dick about with end times for her recordings just in case they end late.

To the other chap (Repessac) - is yours a Humax Foxsat -HDR? Are you saying that you set the recording and it recorded to the actual end of the program? You state that your setting is 'accuate record (Padding =0) '. Does that mean you have 'Auto' set for both start and end recording times?

Looking at my Recording Setup screen, it was set to '5 Minutes After' so I have now changed it to Auto. Maybe the solution was as simple as that!!!

The Recording Setup screen gives the choice of 'Auto' or 1 through 5 minutes after recording End Time. Does that mean (say) 5 minutes after scheduled end time or 5 minutes after actual end time? Is the Auto setting to be trusted??

So many questions - time for bed.

Golf all day tomorrow so will pick up any replies tomorrow evening.

JIMMYBO

Novice Member
I set my Humax Foxsat HDR to Auto-record (via the EPG) simultaneously both the BBC1 HD and BBC HD 3D recording of the Closing Ceremony
This was scheduled to finish at 23.30pm

Both recordings carried on ok until 11.59pm when there there was an onscreen warning that the "Humax will switch off in 1 minute - OK or cancel?" - so I "cancelled" and the result was a completed 202minute recording on BBC1 HD and a 199 minute recording on BBC HD in 3D. The BBC HD recording definitely auto switched off before the BBC1 HD recording
I have no idea as to why the switch off warning appeared but both recordings are fine

REPASSAC

Does that mean you have 'Auto' set for both start and end recording times?
- Yes.

Some channels (not the quality omes) however just send teh change of running status signal at the scheduled time.

I recorded BBC 1 SD The scheduled end kept changing on my HDR.

JIMMYBO - you have autoshutdown set and have not pressed anything on the remote for the defined period. It would have turned off the HDMI output but carried on recording in standby.

Railway

I noticed that as the program was extended at about 23:55 the epg had the following program (The News) starting at 00:15 and an untitled program at around 00:00 to 00:15. I presume the Humax would not have known this was part of the Olympics Closing Ceremony so ended the recording.

The epg had previously extended the program to around 00:00 so the Humax was able to add this part.

I would put it down to the BBC not the Humax.

REPASSAC

I noticed that as the program was extended at about 23:55 the epg had the following program (The News) starting at 00:15 and an untitled program at around 00:00 to 00:15. I presume the Humax would not have known this was part of the Olympics Closing Ceremony so ended the recording.

The epg had previously extended the program to around 00:00 so the Humax was able to add this part.

I would put it down to the BBC not the Humax.
I went to bed at 00:09 - pressing I just before putting my HDR in standy showed a projected end time of 00:10. (BBC1)

Railway

I went to bed at 00:09 - pressing I just before putting my HDR in standy showed a projected end time of 00:10. (BBC1)
I think the BBC were playing "catch up" trying to predict when the program would end (I was doing the same :laugh:). They shouldn't have worried too much about the news as 75% of it was about the closing ceremony!

I think at one point they put in this dummy program to pad before the then scheduled news at 00:15 and this was the problem, previously the news was shown as starting at midnight for a while.

leeboy22001

I had the same problem on my HDR, recording the closing ceremony on BBC HD, the EPG kept extending and thought it would be fine when I went to bed about 12, but it did indeed miss the last 5 minutes or so ! not as bad as my PVR on my Panny Plasma, had recorded BBC 1 HD via Freeview HD, and that failed to record the whole lot because of the overrun !

REPASSAC

I had the same problem on my HDR, recording the closing ceremony on BBC HD, the EPG kept extending and thought it would be fine when I went to bed about 12, but it did indeed miss the last 5 minutes or so ! not as bad as my PVR on my Panny Plasma, had recorded BBC 1 HD via Freeview HD, and that failed to record the whole lot because of the overrun !
Accurate record or padding in use?

From Media (accurate record):
Sun Aug 12 20:57:03 2012
End Time Mon Aug 13 00:19:06 2012
Duration 202 minute(s).

JIMMYBO

Novice Member
Accurate record or padding in use?

From Media (accurate record):
Sun Aug 12 20:57:03 2012
End Time Mon Aug 13 00:19:06 2012
Duration 202 minute(s).
Same here on BBC1 HD

The BBC HD 3D recording timed out at 119 minutes
(Sun Aug 12 20:50 - Mon Aug 13 00:09)

nowster

Novice Member
I don't think so. BBC1 Wales seems to do its own thing from time to time and programmes recorded off there sometimes are missing the first few seconds. I suspect the other "nations" (Scotland and NI) are similar in their "Now and Next" behaviour. I would fully expect all English regions do follow London's timings slavishly.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom