Humax Foxsat HD box error

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by alpdel, May 3, 2016.

1. alpdel

alpdel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Seeking advice!

My trusty Foxsat box has this morning gone into endless loop of boot up on standby. The device did try an "upgrade" overnight but since I bought it this has never worked but a manual search for new channels etc has never let me down.

When unplugged(only way to stop the search!) and restarted it just loops endlessly.

Google search suggests capacitor failure but i have zero ability with soldering irons even if it's a cheap fix for a very old box.

I did note elsewhere Channel 5 is rumoured to be going HD this very day, is it possible the two issues are connected? Or just sheer coincidence?

Will try leaving it plugged in overnight in case it works!

The box is used with my also trusty philips dvd/hdd recorder which has given great service and still going strong. Being able to record then archive on DVD is very handy for kids movies for young nieces!

Am aware such devices are no longer made.

What set up would I need to achieve same using a PC say to burn discs?

Had thought about the Humax HB-1000S and using composite out to the philips with scart adaptor.

But thinking pic quality etc be dire.

Any thoughts welcome.

2. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    You are probably right in your 'sheer coincidence' diagnosis.

3. Top Dog mids

Top Dog mids
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    alpdel to try and answer some of your points

If you are not happy doing the repair your self. Is there an electronics repairer near you? Be firm tell them that you are reliably informed that it is just the replacement of 2 power supply capacitors.

The PC part that you refer to. If you mean transfer the recordings to a PC for burning to DVD, I would start with raydons custom firmware. If you want a pure DVD file, there are several programs to convert .ts to DVD

The newer Humax devices lock the recordings to the box.

Which part of the country do you live in?

4. alpdel

alpdel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for replies so far much appreciated.

I stay in the sunny NE of Scotland. Sadly the boom in cheaper electronics has seen repair shops go out of business up here. People happier to just buy replacement than repair.

Although I write this and I too will be putting my Foxsat in recycle heaven soon but it has served me for almost 7 years so can't complain!

As for replacement I had hoped to have a set up which allowed me to continue archiving to disc using the Philips. But since it uses scart as its main method of connection am goosed given most new devices are ditching scart.

Due to poor reception Freeview is a no go, not a reliable enough signal due to interference from fog and large boats etc! Hence why Freesat boxes are my go to.

5. Top Dog mids

Top Dog mids
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Alpdel. The modern way of doing what you are doing with the DVD recorder, go to Amazon and search video capture + usb + scart
    The PC way described earlier will give better results though.

Ref repairing the Power supply board, is there any thing in the local paper? Where I live there is a local paper where local small businesses advertise trades & services?

If a repair is not an option have you considered a used replacement of the same model?
    PM me if one in my cupboard that is in perfect working order and complete would be of interest

6. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,330
    Why not sell it for spares/repair?

Does the Philips accept RGB and/or composite (CVBS) video signals via the scart (all 4 of my DVD recorders accept both - Panasonic, Goodmans and Samsung)? Scart can carry both signals and most modern STBs still have composite (CVBS) video outputs - usually as phono socket outputs so all you would need is a phono to scart lead/adapter.

7. Top Dog mids

Top Dog mids
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    davemurgatroyd2

Why not sell it for spares/repair?

A good all round idea. Sadly going by Ebay & Amazon to many people want even working ones for cost of a round of drinks

You then have the issue of how to get the recordings off. I believe the thread starter to be a novice

8. alpdel

alpdel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As ever thanks for responses. Although am sure the repair is dead easy I need to buy the tools(decent ones!); I'd be as well as investing the money in a new box with a guarantee!

Might sell the duff box on eBay to recoup cash!

Re my Philips recorder, I have double checked and yep I have a scart socket adaptor lying around which should work to connect to my new box!

Ps
    Am a novice on these boards but not a complete novice! I know some stuff albeit nothing like the wealth of knowledge other forum users have and that am glad I can tap into.

My skills it would be fair to say lie in using technology rather than stripping wires and soldering capacitors.

9. Top Dog mids

Top Dog mids
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    alpdel After many hours searching, I believe that I have found you a ready to fit power supply board that all you have to do is a swap out. The item is £20, I'd hope that delivery was £10.
    Just message them before you purchase to make sure it is what you expect.
    the website is called tv-panels the part is found by searching PW714S Their post code is GL3 1DL

10. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    Is there someone here who can confirm that it is actually likely to be the PSU capacitors causing these symptoms? Sounds more like a possible HDD problem to me and there's fairly simple (to some) ways of testing the HDD. And changing a HDD is considerably easier than changing the caps.

11. Top Dog mids

Top Dog mids
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    TJT1 the start of the thread says they did a google search.
    So by implication, has the thread starter tried the Foxsat with out the Hard drive?
    My recollection is that if the Hard drive is brown bread and the psu is perfectly sound, the Foxsat would function more than it does now

12. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    I agree, but the OP only mentioned his Google searches finding the capacitors. He didn't mention the HDD possibility, so I thought that I would.

13. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,112
    The Foxsat-HDR doesn't have the power supply capacitor issues that the Foxsat-HD most certainly does. The Foxsat-HD use the notororious CapXon capacitors. It's possible of course that this specific example may have a problem, but I would be looking at other issues. As already said the Foxsat-HDR will operate as a non recording box without the hard drive being connected. Disconnecting it would be a good place to start.

The issue is often confused, those not recognising the difference in the two models often Google the issue and come up with the repair kits for the Foxsat-HD failing to recognise it's a totally different box. Considering the age of the box, the HDD is the most likely component to fail. The HDD can be connected to a PC booted into Linux (using a drive cradle) and the file system checked for errors.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  14. alpdel

alpdel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Folks many thanks for all replies.

Top dog mids I cannot thank you enough. Looks the right bit, will check!

For reference my device is the bog standard box and has no HDD.
    I really should upgrade I know!
    When I move house later this year I promise I will!

15. Top Dog mids

Top Dog mids
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    alpdel, ref post #14, I'd be interested to hear how you do with that. Good luck with that
    Relative to replacing the caps, it is a good price.

Not being rude or heavy handed, I have my 1TB Humax Foxsat on Gumtree, if you are interested PM me

16. alpdel

alpdel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have took the plunge. Ordered part.
    Will hopefully see me through a few more months and once in new home will be able to get new box etc sorted.

17. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,112
    Foxsat-HD - almost certainly the power supply. TBH it's lasted longer than most. Usual symptom continously rolling loop on display when attempting to boot. Once fixed it's a good little box with a excellent sensitive tuner. Shame it never was able to record to a USB drive like the very good value HB1000S.

You may want to consider one as you get all the OD services as well as recording.

HB 1000s - Freesat - humaxdirect

18. alpdel

alpdel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Update

New power board received and fitted. Picture sharper than ever. Seems the CapXon capacitors have been replaced!

Thanks everyone for their advice

19. Top Dog mids

Top Dog mids
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    ***alpdel*** Well done, good on you.
    In the belief that you fitted the board your self, it's made you a better person, for meeting the challenge.
    A sharper picture as well, a most pleasant surprise

20. alpdel

alpdel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Indeed Topdog. Was no more difficult than adding RAM or changing a graphics card ina PC which I have happily done a fair few times!

Total cost was £24 delivered. Way pricier than a solder to the capacitors but when no iron etc etc worked out well in the end!