Humax Foxsat 320gb trying to watch a prerecorded prog

mikal83

Novice Member
Reaction score
Not too sure IF this is the right thread but....I hAVE just bought a 320 gb Foxsat Humax and am now in Spain. No freesat signal so tried to watch a recorded programme. Wouldnt let me. A box just come up with
Press on and "boot" comes up in the info window, then a box which says.
notice
No channels are currently available. Press <OK>
To search for chanels.
Press search for all its worth as the dish isnt connected cos i could get a signal In Pamplona and I tried for over an hr clear clear skies! When Ok is pressed it goes to the Setup box. Press "media" and a small sort of "no entry" icon flashes up in the far top right................and thats it!

Not too sure IF this is the right thread but
Does a topic entitled 'Multiple Recording and Viewing With Humax Freesat+ PVR's' sound like the right place for a question about not being able to receive freesat in Spain?;)

I have a shedload of progs recorded on the PVR part of the reciever but as I am out of a signal area wifey says, no worries lets watch that film we recorded the other night.
Well if I can find out how to watch anything pre recorded. All I get is a tune in box and if I exit that, the setup box. Every time I press the media button, the pvr light comes on but a small "no entry" icon comes up in the top right hand corner....Help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Strange one that Mikal. Just disable the sat feed to my foxsat and the media button works as expected. Sorry can't offer any more advice.

oh well. Its a as we have a lot of films/stuff from Discovery etc and I am trying every button etc to press. I just know that someone who comes on these forums has the answer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a thought, presumably you have already attempted a factory reset or preformed a retune? in which case this has caused the box to lock you out as no channels have been stored. My first thoughts were that you just lost reception in which case the effect would be similar to the scenario as posted in my first response. If so any chance a friendly neighbour could help out by using a feed to get you back to having stored channels?

I have had something like that when the PVR was used in single lnb in our caravan and I was trying to tune in the sat in the different mode.
As I recall I just had to wait for a bi t / cancel tuning for the box to play recordings.
Your mistake was in retuning, or resetting the box, I think.

Perhaps I wasnt clear enough. I have no sat at all, theres no signal where I am. So am trying to just watch pre recorded progs on the PVR part with nothing connnected

Can you get to the menus ? Are the recordings HD or SD. (or do you have the CF installed and nowsters patch) ?. Is there a home network where you have the box ?. Are you prepared to remove the drive and connect it to a PC using a usb cradle ?

Keriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike Graham my head just exploded. OK hd or SD errrrrm dunno, prob HD. CF?nowsters?.
I am in a caravan in Spain. Remove anything......rather not.
All I get after I switch it on is BOOT in the window, then it says to tune it in, If I press OK it goes to the setup page, but as I cannot get a signal, I am not connected to anything at all. tried media but it just doesnt want to play....sorry If I am a bit dim here

I was just suggesting that your post is not in the right place. It would possibly have been better to start your own thread, as your problem is nothing to do with the subject of this thread.

There have been changes to the freesat 'footprint' recently narrowing it down to more concentrated on the UK and a lot of people on the continent, including Spain, have lost their freesat coverage. There are at least a couple of existing threads on the subject and the general census of opinion is that a larger dish is needed. Has your reception of freesat in Spain been over the last two or three weeks. If longer ago than that, it's almost certain that your problem is what I just said.

Coverage in Spain has been reduced drastically recently. I just said that in the other thread where you asked the same question.

In the early days some years ago I did try this out with a Foxsat-hdr. (disconnected the lnb cables and booted the box). All that happened was the box reported no signal. Exiting from the message gave access to the media list, so existing recordings could be played back. I haven't tried this after a long period of not being connected to a working lnb, or a box that had never been set up on a working connection in the first place though. Only thing I can suggest is try pressing exit rather than OK to try and gain access to the media list.

I was just writting the first thing I thought of ..and TJ1 The sat dish IS NOT CONNECTED IN ANY WAY, so wtf has "coverage " got to do with it! I have pressed , exit/media/every combination of button to no avail. Media where you access all your prerecorded progs just wont come up. My ?? is still as b4

@CPN. Is the content relevant? Other than it begs the question "How do you do that?". And yes, I do know that you can't normally get Discovery on a Hummy freesat box.
@mikal83. YES, I KNOW THAT, but is not the lack of signal the cause of not allowing you to proceed with the setup to enable you to get at the recordings?

Last edited:
That, my friend, is a darned good question and one I was about to ask of him too! ;)

Could have been imported using AV2HDR. Raydon posted a screenshot of a Dave recording on a Foxsat-hdr prior to the release of AV2HDR :)

I just know that someone who comes on these forums has the answer!
Presumably it's the same as a Sky machine - only works when a satellite connection is made.

Presumably it's the same as a Sky machine - only works when a satellite connection is made.

Nope, they work just fine if you don't trigger a Freesat tune/retune. Sounds like OP already has so it may be need a connection to the dish to get patch this point.

Nope, they work just fine if you don't trigger a Freesat tune/retune. Sounds like OP already has so it may be need a connection to the dish to get patch this point.

100% sure this was the case originally, however not tried it on later firmware upgrades. My test was initiated by a poster who could only get a satellite signal during the winter months and wanted to create a summer viewing library (Leaves on the trees knocked out the signal in the Summer). The poster never came back and said it didn't work.

Well, I've had a little play with mine.
The Foxsat-HDR doesn't need a valid satellite signal to play recordings. BUT it does need a stored previously tuned channel or two to work. As long as it has that it is happy enough!! IF one has done a Factory Reset - which erases all stored channels - then it won't do anything until something has been tuned in! (NB a freesat tune on its own doesn't delete stored channels if no channels are found / saved.)

The Foxsat will tune to other satellites and
that might be worth a try for you (assuming you have the dish and cable handy) to get out of the boot-up-install-tune loop?
Use the Manual Tune option for that.
Or take the box to a working dish to tune in something.
Then never do a Factory Reset ever again!

But the OP has not got it connected to a dish. He's told us that several times in no uncertain terms.
The point that I was trying to make was that if he didn't have a signal will it hang the startup routine which it apparently does.

But the OP has not got it connected to a dish. He's told us that several times in no uncertain terms.
The point that I was trying to make was that if he didn't have a signal will it hang the startup routine which it apparently does.

From memory, it simply says no signal at tuner 1 provided the channel list file is present. Pressing exit or OK completes the bootup.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom