Humax FOX-T2 Pixelation

Bit Carrier

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I'm wondering if anybody on AVForums can help me. My parents Humax FOX-T2 pvr is suffering from pixelation on all channels.
The PVR is on a network with 3 other digital TV's which have no problems all feed via a wide band aerial, to a 4 way amplifier and cabled in high quality low-loss coax and from the PVR to the primary TV via a HDMI cable.
When checking the signal strength and quality on the PVR on various channels it is 40-50%. Whereas all the TV's are 100% for both signal strength and quality. I have tried the aerial direct to the PVR removing it from the network and still get very poor reception 40-50% signal quality. I brought the PVR to my house and it works perfectly so the problem is not with the Humax.
Has anybody else come across this type of problem and can offer any advice :lease:?

I think you have answered your own question. It is in the cabling or the connections in the cabling. have you tried it in another room in the house?

Plugging the feed direct from the Arieal into the pvr still reproduces the same problem, where if the same feed is plugged into the TV there are no problems, so i'm sure I don't have a cabling issue.... No, that's my next move, is to try the PVR in another room in case of any interference is affecting the box.

Check the more sensitive tuner in the Humax box has not stored the channels really needed in the list above channel numbers 800. This is down to more distant multiplexes getting picked up first by an autotune and the duplicates you really need finishing up at 800 plus

If Graham's suggestion doesn't work, try removing the hdmi connection (temporarily) and using scart... some hdmi cables have been know to 'leak' interference into the aerial cables.

{moving the hdmi and aerial cables apart may help as might swapping fly-leads and hdmi cables for alternatives}

If neither work the next thing we need to know is an approximate location (village/town/suburb name) and how long this has been a problem (e.g. has your transmitter just switched over?).

"..some hdmi cables have been know to 'leak' interference into the aerial cables."

The unscreened SCART lead from my Humax Fox-T2 radiates as much interference as the optional HDMI lead into the antenna input if it's moved very near to it. Not sure if the latter is screened or not. They also cause interference to an FM radio nearby.

luggsie

The unscreened SCART lead from my Humax Fox-T2 radiates as much interference as the optional HDMI lead into the antenna input if it's moved very near to it.
That's strange... No signals intentionally carried over SCART carry the super-high frequencies - that hdmi cables must to transfer the digital data - in the 450-850MHz band that we believe can cause interference to the aerial signal.

Does it happen if the hdmi cable is fully removed from both TV an PVR?

If yes' all I can think is that the interference generated within the device is being injected into the 'common/earth/ground' connection of the unit and leads and transferred that way.

Make up your own double-screened aerial leads to minimise the pick-up if it gives you trouble, using metal plugs throughout.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom