Humax Fox T2 not receiving a signal

ceperman

Standard Member
I've been a happy Humax HDR Foxsat user for years, and so I bought a second-hand Fox T2 for one of my Freeview TVs with some confidence. But it's not picking up the aerial feed - I get the message "the receiver is not receiving a signal or the signal is too weak" and I've tried with all of the coax leads for my 3 TVs which have perfect HD pictures. My TV aerial has a booster so I can't believe the signal is too weak.

I might have believed that the Humax was faulty, but I bought an HDR-2000T as my first attempt at a second-hand HDR, but this gave exactly the same message. I assumed that box was at fault and I returned it, but now I'm not so sure. I'm guessing that the firmware has some common bits between them and whatever the issue is they both have it.

I'd investigate what the Installation menu option had to offer but it's password protected and - surprise, surprise - I didn't get the password with the box.

Any ideas on how to get around either of these problems would be great! Thanks.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
What is the aerial? What is the booster? How much gain?

How is it then split to feed multiple sets? (Amplifier? or passive? Make and model if an amplified splitter?)

Location (approx): ideally a postcode within 100 metres of a shop, pub, church etc,. to estimate transmitter, distance and signal level.

Humax can be quite sensitive and will overload giving signal distortion but has a similar result to too little signal = 'no signal'.

Use the various TVs' built in metering to check levels (makes and models can be relevant as not all TV meters are created equal) and report back.

{e.g. My Panny TV reported 10/10 both before and after a 10x power increase at DSO as it is post automatic gain and error correction controls. My Humax PVR was more useful showing something like a 10% increase in S level iirc.}

Are the tuner inputs stacked one above each other or side by side (there was a hardware change at one point in production)? It's probably irrelevant to the issue but it might not be?

ceperman

Standard Member
Impressively, Humax support responded almost immediately to a request for help, with the instructions to reset the password (go to settings, highlight system information, on your remote colour buttons, press - red - green - yellow -blue- green - yellow - blue, then you can reset the pin). With that, I could do a factory reset that performed a re-tune, and channels appeared. I needed to update the firmware from the original 2012 version then re-tune again to bring in the HD channels. All fixed.

So the error message is quite misleading, it's not that there's no signal, just needs re-tuning.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
So the error message is quite misleading, it's not that there's no signal, just needs re-tuning.
Not at all misleading. = No signal on the already tuned frequency(ies). Get that whenever we take ours away caravanning (and when we come home again).

Basic install method is to tune in any such device.

I assumed you'd tried that. :facepalm: But you are spoiled by the Foxsat auto tuning updates during the overnight housekeeping routine.

Does anyone change the default password from 0000 on these boxes?

ceperman

Standard Member
Well, I guess if I knew it meant that I'd not have found it misleading ;). And of course re-tuning would have been my first option if I'd had the pin. Even if I didn't understand the message I've have been 99% sure it needed to be re-tuned anyway, and that would have fixed it.

It would be thoughtful if people selling second-hand kit like this did a factory reset for you. Then you'd have no problems ... and not have to see all that dodgy stuff they'd left on the HDD 😡

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
If the OP is served by Bilsdale or one of its relays then a re-tune might be necessary, as everything is a mess, with only partial service from some existing and new, temporary local masts. Here in Harrogate we’re still waiting…

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
If the OP is served by Bilsdale or one of its relays then a re-tune might be necessary, as everything is a mess, with only partial service from some existing and new, temporary local masts. Here in Harrogate we’re still waiting…
Not applicable. The box was pin-code protected. All working since Thursday.

NB CLem, you chose to live in the especially difficult reception part of the Harrogate area that requires use of Bilsdale which caught fire recently. Other parts not very far from you can also use other transmitters. (Emley Moor, Belmont, perhaps Pontop Pike.)

A temporary mast install (currently in progress) might help come this Friday 27th August, but may still not help for your difficult location. Arqiva's work to get some service to as many as possible has been pretty tireless I think.

I know you have freesat for live and internet for catchup TV... which some others do not.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
@Rodders53 : Yes, curse me for insisting on living in a part of Harrogate that gets rubbish TV reception! That’s the case for a lot of Harrogate though. For the Bilton area, it’s Bilsdale or nothing. For other parts, it’s Emley or nothing.

As it happens, I had a guy call at my place earlier in the week to swing the aerial connected to my TV distribution system round to point to Emley. Signal strength is about 65% with 100% quality. According to the aerial guy signal strength is about 50dbV (?), good enough for decent reception, although SQ is slightly lower on the HD mux. Sadly, COM7 is MIA, which apparently is the case for a lot of households that get TV from Emley Moor in Harrogate. A masthead amp. may have bought in COM7, but as I have access to BBC4HD on Freesat, all is not lost, although the enforced DD5.1 on C5HD and QuestHD is tedious. Before the DTT switch over was complete, reception from Emley needed a masthead. Just why I never thought of Bilsdale at the time that I had the TV distribution system installed escapes me.

I suppose that I’m lucky that I’m in part of Harrogate that does have a decent signal overlap, especially as I have no clear line of sight to either Bilsdale or Emley.

As for 27/28/whenever, I agree with you. I don’t think that the planned 80m temporary mast will help me get a usable Bilsdale signal. I think that it will be MIA until the 300m mast is back on line. Even then, I suspect that the service levels may not be the same as they were before the fire.

Going forward, I will keep one aerial pointed at Bilsdale and one at Emley, and use Freesat to fill in the gaps as necessary. The fire does beg one question though: why are transmitter sites, apart from Crystal Palace, not equipped with backups? Emley has been taken out of action on two occasions in the past. Given the importance of TV recently, with so many people relying on it, I think that changes are necessary. I read somewhere that HMG has been sniffing about this very topic. Strange that it coincides with Arqiva’s plans to sell off its mast business …

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom