humax duoviso - problems

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by ash005, Dec 31, 2006.

Tags:
  1. ash005

ash005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    i have had this for approx a month now and on the whole its a great bit of kit

but.....

every now and then it 'chirps' in i high pitched way wether it is on or on standby

the remote is useless, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes when i press the volume up button it changes channel and every now and then it just decides to change to channel 302 no matter what button you press

then the hummax remote sent my cd player bonkers!

has anyone else had similar problems or is it just me with a buggy machine

would an update help?

any advice would be appreciated

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    The occasional chirp is from the hard drive.

Try bouncing the remote signals off the ceiling rather than pointing direct at the machine.

3. Tondene

Tondene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ,Ive had the same problem with my humax but the chirp seems to come from the tv. as the humax is inside a unit with a door so I use a pronto remote with RF sender however when i use the original remote with the door open some times i get various chirp noises, but these do come from the TV. I only get the noises with the original remote and sometimes if i use the TV remote for volume the channel changes, on the PVR. So all i can decide upon is that the coding on the Humax remote has some problems, i also find sometimes that the codes set in the pronto sometimes do not work. I guess the code has to be the problem but sorry dont know how to rectify it i persevere. Regards Tony

4. ash005

ash005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    yesterday the machine was driving me mad, almost constant chirping

then the record icon disapeared off the menu!

i had set it to record a radio prog, which it didn't

ended up unplugging it - that seems to have settled it down a bit although there are still some buttons that dont work on the remote e.g. the recrded prog list, it did work then all of a sudden it stopped

i also keep getting a message on the screen every now and then saying something like disc format error - not happened since restart though

its a good machine, but the (almost) constant chirping & dodgy remote really get on my nerves and may result in me returning it

ash .

5. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Your machine is broken, though it may just be a loose hard drive cable.

If you feel competent to open the case reseating the drive cable may fix the problem, if worried about your guarantee call Humax (don't email - they ignore email) and ask for clearance to try it. Otherwise take the machine back, it won't get better.

The remote may improve with fresh batteries, they seem to ship knackered old ones with just a few weeks life in them. The remote is the least powerful I've ever seen so don't expect much improvement!

6. crammedin

crammedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Ash, your PVR cant see the disk. Which is why sometimes you cant see any disk related items in the menu (like the record menu) and why when pressing the playlist button on the remote control it doesnt show the playlist which is on the disk. While it has a problem with the disk,and god knows what else, you wont be able to use the pVR to record reliably. You need to get it swapped out either with the retailer or Humax. If the retailer is a shop you can walk into then that would be much quicker.

Re the chips, this might point to reception issues and not just a dodgy box. You could get your arial and downleads checked out but a quick initial test is do you get any pixelation or picture breakup too?
    What is your signal strength and signal quality figures when on an ITV, a BBC, a Sky and a Music channel - and do the figures fluctuate?