• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

humax dolby digital

jetsetjimbo

Established Member
I've recently purchased a second hand Marantz SR8002 receiver which I have have working fine with everything other than full Dolby Digital signals from my Humax HDR.

It is connected via HDMI and the SR8002 appears to detect the DD signal (showing all the channels on the display) but only outputs to the front two channels. Prologic is working fine though.

DD works fine from the PS3 and the 360 just not with the Humax :confused:

I've checked and re-checked all the settings which appear to be correct (I think) and can't see what can be wrong.

I think the only issue with these receivers was with DTS-MA and thought DD should work without a hitch.

Any insight as to what the issue may be would be most appreciated as I'm pulling out what hair I have left! :rolleyes:

p.s. could a mod please change the title, I think I hit return a few too many times somewhere. :)

Last edited:

crosseyed

Established Member
If the Marantz decodes other sources ok, then the problem is with the Humax and it may be that the Humax is only 2 channel (stereo) or the programme being watched at that time is stereo only (not surround). You might have to read the manual.

jetsetjimbo

Established Member
I'm unsure and the manual for either Humax or the Marantz provides any clarity...

I have tried replaying a Later with Jules Holland I have recorded (which is shown in DD 5.1) and and the amp detects and outputs the full discrete 5.1 channels for that.

What I don't understand is that BBC One HD is currently showing Question Time (in Stereo Digital) and the amp detects the 2 channel digital signal and outputs it as Prologic.

BBC HD is showing Inside the Human Body, detected by the amp as as a digital signal having the full 5.1 channels yet it only outputting it to the front two, not as Prologic.

My old Denon would have played this in full DD 5.1 :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom