Humax box set up advice

SavorettiMoretti

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm setting my father in laws humax box up for him and need some advice on the cabling set up.

I have sky and my set up is:

Aerial to sky box
Rf2 signal to powered splitter in loft
Aerial signal to each bedroom with magic eye

I also have a hdmi extender and hdmi matrix sending a hdmi signal to the kitchen

He would like the same setup but with a humax box, can this be done?

Hi all,

I'm setting my father in laws humax box up for him and need some advice on the cabling set up.

I have sky and my set up is:

Aerial to sky box
Rf2 signal to powered splitter in loft
Aerial signal to each bedroom with magic eye

I also have a hdmi extender and hdmi matrix sending a hdmi signal to the kitchen

He would like the same setup but with a humax box, can this be done?

Yes it can but you need an extra box with a TV modulator and a duplication of the magic eye remote control.

Triax TRI Link KIT Modulator View Control Freesat FTA SKY | eBay

You don't say which humax box you are referring to. If it does not have a scart socket you mayl need a cheap phono to sca adaptor.

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks for the reply. His current humax box has actually died so was just going to buy the same one but if there is a better option which will make this set up easier then open to suggestion.

It might be an advantage if you told 'us' which Humax box he has. I assume it is a freeview terrestrial box as you have not posted in the satellite section?

HUMAX HDR-1800T

I'm not too bothered about the magic eye in every room as the only requirement for this is in the kitchen and with this I can purchase the same cat6 hdmi extender as mine but with ir control included.

I thought the humax boxes had a similar rf2 out as the sky?

Is it essential that he has access to recorded programmes in the kitchen?
Your Sky setup is so that you can watch Sky elsewhere. You don't need to do it the same way if the answer to the first question is 'No'. Just use the KISS principle and stick a freeview set or stb for £25 in the kitchen on the end of a bit of coax from a splitter behind the main TV.

Yes he wants to be able to watch what's on the humax box in the kitchen whilst the box is in another room. I've ran the cat6 cables so I can extend a hdmi signal from the box to the kitchen

HUMAX HDR-1800T

I'm not too bothered about the magic eye in every room as the only requirement for this is in the kitchen and with this I can purchase the same cat6 hdmi extender as mine but with ir control included.

I thought the humax boxes had a similar rf2 out as the sky?

Only Sky boxes have the rf2 out with magic eye capability. The Triax Tri Link unit will give you magic eye remote control, but it's an expensive option. A standard TV modulator and a remote infra red extender will do the same. A video sender (may be unreliable) will provide pictures and audio and has infra red remote control. You could use a TV modulator and just use a video sender for remote control.

I believe the HDR-1800 has a media server for the recordings so a cheap media player box (or most other computing devices) should be able to stream the recordings via a home network.

It has a dlna server, but only SD recordings can be streamed, unless you use Foxy to decrypt HD recordings by copying to USB and then replacing the encrypted version on the hard disk.

I just assumed that mean it'd downsample recordings to SD quality. Are you saying it'll completely refuse to stream anything recorded in HD quality?

I just assumed that mean it'd downsample recordings to SD quality. Are you saying it'll completely refuse to stream anything recorded in HD quality?

I don't have the box, I have the HDR FOX T2 which will stream HD to a 2nd HDR FOX T2 (It has a DTCP-IP server).

Digital Transmission Content Protection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But yes that I believe is the situation regarding HD. However there is a way (using Raydons Foxy) that will persuade the box to decrypt HD on copying to USB. Once decrypted you can use the recording on pretty well anything (including uploading back to the box). It's not a quick procedure though. You should also be aware that Freeview-HD uses AAC audio so without conversion of the audio, the player must support AAC audio.

Last edited:
Any chance we can get back on topic. Thanks for the suggestion about streaming over the network but it's not something I'm looking for.

Any chance we can get back on topic. Thanks for the suggestion about streaming over the network but it's not something I'm looking for.

Not sure what you mean by on topic. I would have thought your OP was answered in post 2. Only when it was ascertained you were referring to a 1800T were alternatives suggested, I would have thought that was very much on topic.

Original post is about cable set up

Original post is about cable set up

No reason why the current setup using hdmi over network cables won't work assuming the 8000T works OK with the hdmi splitter you have for the kitchen TV. Only you can test that. You have the answer for other TV's using Sky rf2 out and magic eyes. Not sure what else you need to know.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom