Humax Aura Signal Problems

pdoherty76

I have recently purchased the all-singing all-dancing 2TB version of the Humax Aura box, for a wallet busting £279. They aren't cheap but they are a great bit of kit. Everything works well and I am very pleased. It really is like an all in one solution for all your home entertainment.

But there is a catch. There seems to be a problem with the signal quality. With my aerial plugged into the Aura, I get about 60% signal quality and most channels work fine but some of the weaker ones are pixellating like Sky News.

But the same aerial, when plugged into my new Toshiba TV gives 100% signal quality and all channels work fine. In fact, when I plug an aerial pass through cable into my Aura and connect it to the back of the TV, the TV still reports 100% signal quality. How can this be?

Also the signal strength on the Aura is in the 70s but in the 90s on the TV. So this must be a box issue rather than an aerial issue.

I really do not want to even consider sending the box back to amazon. What can I do, if anything? And is anyone having the same issue?

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Mines coming tomorrow and I've got the Manhattan t3-r to compare it with so I'll check the signal level on both to see if the aura shows a lower signal quality and has pixelation issues. Pretty sure there are similar reports on the Humax aura unofficial forum btw so it is slightly concerning..

mikej

That doesn't surprise me because my Humax HDR-Fox T2 PVR is exactly the same.

I'm currently watching BBC2 HD and the signal strength is 100% using the TV's tuner (connected through the Humax) but only 75% on the Humax itself. Both display fine though, with no pixelation.

I put it down to different tuners having different sensitivities and seeing as the scale is a bit arbitrary anyway, you wouldn't expect to see exactly the same numbers on each device - it's just a guide. Drop below a certain value on my Humax though (around 50-60%) and it doesn't pick those channels up at all.

pdoherty76

I'm going to buy an attenuator to see if dialling the signal down a bit helps. I keep reading that Humax tuners don't like too strong a signal. If that doesn't work then I don't know what to do.

pdoherty76

Just tried the attenuator. Turned the strength right down as low as 5% on the Humax box then turned it up in 5% increments. Makes no difference. Humax does the same thing as before but the TV is perfect on every channel no matter how low the strength goes.

ozz77

Novice Member
Same problems with signal here too.

I set up a pc monitor outputting the aura next to my Sony tv outputting the same free view channel using the aura rf loop through. The Sony didn’t break up at the same time as the aura so there must be something iffy going on with the aura somewhere.

The box has gone back 😕

pdoherty76

Well this is really strange...

I just took the Aura upstairs to plug it into a different aerial, a small loft one that has been there for at least 15 years, and all channels worked perfectly. So I took the box back downstairs and plugged it into the original aerial and now every channel shows a rock solid 100% quality and 90% strength, with no break up at all. Just like the TV was doing.

I really can't explain that. But it all now appears to be working. Hopefully it stays that way.

I agree there is something iffy about these tuners. And when you are paying nearly £300 quid for a freeview box it should be spot on. But everything else about the box is so good I really want to avoid sending it back. It does have a two year warranty which I have registered so if there continues to be aerial problems I can claim under that anyway.

pdoherty76

Spoke too soon. just set 3 things to record at once and the signal quality has nosedived again. Losing patience with it now.

pdoherty76

Perhaps there is hope on the horizon. Apparently the latest beta software dated 22/3/21 lists pixellation issues as one of it's fixes. So I am going to hang fire and see what happens.

ozz77

Novice Member
I’m willing to give it another try. The box has gone back for a refund but I will monitor this and myhumax forum to see if this gets resolved. Apart from this problem the rest of the box is spot on and would have kept it. The UI speed is a breath of fresh air as past humax pvrs have been laggy has hell.

ShaunIOW

I bought one of these boxes a week and a half ago and so far have been impressed although there have been some issues, but the signal and pixelation ones mentiond here aren't amongst them, looking at my signal test atm and it's 100% on both strength and quality and I'm not in a strong signal area and even with a hi-gain roof aerial I cannot get some channels like BBC4HD, Forces TV, freesports etc that aren't on Com's 1-6. I get the same channels on both the box and my Hisense TV, although I did get an SLx TV Four Output Amplifier 27820HSR With Integrated 4G Filter in the hope it might help me get the missing channels (it didn't) but I've left it connected as it's handy to plug in the Humax, TV and a DAB+ radio.

The issues I've had so far are sometimes when I turn on or go to live TV I get a black screen with no sound although I do get the now and next banner and i either have to use the freeplay button then live tv or turn off/on again (sometimes this also gets a screen with just interference on it so i have to turn off/on again), and I've noticed that sometimes when I watch apart of a recording and go back to it, it resets to the start.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
The interference thing is likely to be an HDMI negotiation issue. I sometimes get green screens/snow for a few seconds when my old Humax Freesat box starts up.

Signal strength/quality meters on PVRs and TVs are very much a guestimate. Only a professional meter will give you precise readings. If you’re not getting any break-up, which can arise with either too little signal or too much (tuner overload) don’t worry about it.

geochr

Novice Member
I’ve had my Humax Aura for 6 weeks now. I’ve just had to give up and call Curry’s to return it. I just can’t get the signal quality. There Is pixelation on lots of the channels. I’ve swapped out the HDMIs, made sure they were away from the co-ax......nothing has helped.

geochr

Novice Member
I have recently purchased the all-singing all-dancing 2TB version of the Humax Aura box, for a wallet busting £279. They aren't cheap but they are a great bit of kit. Everything works well and I am very pleased. It really is like an all in one solution for all your home entertainment.

But there is a catch. There seems to be a problem with the signal quality. With my aerial plugged into the Aura, I get about 60% signal quality and most channels work fine but some of the weaker ones are pixellating like Sky News.

But the same aerial, when plugged into my new Toshiba TV gives 100% signal quality and all channels work fine. In fact, when I plug an aerial pass through cable into my Aura and connect it to the back of the TV, the TV still reports 100% signal quality. How can this be?

Also the signal strength on the Aura is in the 70s but in the 90s on the TV. So this must be a box issue rather than an aerial issue.

I really do not want to even consider sending the box back to amazon. What can I do, if anything? And is anyone having the same issue?
Did you get this sorted? I’m having the very same issues

geochr

Novice Member
Aura returned to Currys. Just bought a Manhattan T3R 500Gb. No issues with this box so far. A bit disappointed that I had to return the Aura as it is packed with features but hey ho

winston2010

Those signal strength and quality readings are useless. % of what? No one tells us and different manufacturers use different references. To be meaningfull signal strength should be quoted in dBµV and quality should be bit error rate.

Having said that and reading these posts it does seem the Aura has some problems.

brian s

Distinguished Member
I received my Aura yesterday after having quite a few problems getting my hands on one. I'll go into those details later. It was a doddle to set up and it did it's own firmware update. The trouble was it wasn't displaying the channels and there was no information on the tv guide. There was a screen that showed what was on several channels together with a still image but I just couldn't access them. I switched it off a few times and still couldn't get anything. While I was scratching my head and thinking about trying to find a trouble shooting guide BBC1 suddenly came on. Checking the guide it was working fine and still is. I set up several recording to test the unit and it worked fine.

After reading this thread I decided to check the signal strength and it was only showing the signal on tuner 1 which was 92% strength and 100% quality. I started recording 3 channels and checked again but it only showed the tests for tuner 1 and 2. Tuner 2 was also 92 and 100 but tuner 1's strength had gone down to between 66 and 70. I'm not sure why it's only showing 2 tuners and why the strength has gone down on 1. It also has a curious message "Staying on this screen may affect recordings and streaming."

I'd tried to get the unit locally on Monday. Checking online my nearest Currys was supposed to have it in but they didn't have one. They didn't have any Humax units in store. Checking around it seemed the nearest one was some 60 miles away. So on Tuesday I looked on Humax's own site. They offered 5% off and free next day delivery. Their site was pretty sluggish and when I attempted to order it the site wasn't giving me a payment details option. I tried a couple of times and got my wife to check that it wasn't just me going mad. I started a live chat to try and resolve the issue but they couldn't help and promised a call back after 4.00 pm. Annoying as there was a cut off point of 3.00 pm for the next day delivery. I tried again later and the site worked so I got the order in.

The next day I got an email from APC Overnight giving a 2 hour window for delivery. Unfortunately that 2 hour window kept getting put back through the day so I ended up being stuck in the house all day. When the van finally arrived it parked up outside it stayed there for a while. I waited at the front door with my mask on but it then drove off! I want to the gate and he'd driven to another house and made a delivery there but took ages about it. He drove back and he got in the back of the van and was there for another age. He couldn't find my package. That'll be why he drove off to make the other delivery. He asked what I was expecting. Of course when I told him it didn't help him find it. Eventually he found it. Clearly he was totally disorganised and that will be why the 2 hour window was constantly being put back. I've never had this problem with a delivery before and I was less than impressed.

Bri

A1944

Bri: The fact that you are only seeing two tuners for three recordings may not be that odd. You have to be quite selective as to which channels you select.

To see three tuners, ideally you need to have recordings of three channels on different multiplexes.

Try again recording BBC1 SD (Ch/LCN 1), ITV SD (Ch/LCN 3) and BBC2 HD (Ch/LCN 102).

Last edited:

brian s

Distinguished Member
Bri: The fact that you are only seeing two tuners for three recordings may not be that odd. You have to be quite selective as to which channels you select.

To see three tuners, ideally you need to have recordings of three channels on different multiplexes.

Try again recording BBC1 SD (Ch/LCN 1), ITV SD (Ch/LCN 3) and BBC2 HD (Ch/LCN 102).

Cheers I'll give that a go

Bri

lostinspace

I had one for about 4 hours. It didn't even pick up C51 where BBC4HD etc sit.

Humax have been around long enough to have sorted out the tuners on their boxes and it's a disgrace they haven't. If it's a case of too mcuh signal, then an attenuator should have been built in.

Like others on here my TV shows full strenght and quality on that mux but the humax couldn't even find it.

The other reason I wanted one was to get Atmos from Disney=, but Humax couldn't even tell me whether it had that function (it doesn't). Nor could they say if/when it ever will.

Gavtech

Administrator
Regarding the above post and the numerous others regarding reception difficulties... a great many of these problems are highly likely to be due not to tuner problems , but to HDMI interference, especially given that the resolution of this box has gone up by several orders of magnitude on typical previously available boxes.

To that end I would urge those who are having problems to do a few things to check out the possibility.

Firstly do not use existing HDMI leads if you are, for example, replacing an existing box.
Use the supplied lead, or a lead specifically designed for these high resolutions.

Secondly - if reception problems are experienced, turn the resolution of the box down in settings to the lowest resolution.

If reception improves under those circumstances, it is proof that your installation is suffering from HDMI interference and you will need to take some remedial action.

Thirdly - keep your HDMI and UHF leads as far apart as possible, and use well-screened UHF leads to prevent the HDMI leaked interference from leaking back into the system and saturating the tuner.

JeffonAV

Novice Member
Like many others here I had the problem of pixelation and missing channels. My TV and other Manhatan T1 (at 1080P) had no problem detecting and showing all channels without pixelation. The Aura showed poor signal strength percentages 10 to 15 % I think. I have an aerial booster near the aerial in the loft, with adjustable boost, so I turned the boost up too maximum. The signal strengths were then around 80% or so, and auto tune found all the channels; and the pixelation is now occasional. We like the Aura but will be sending it back as the pixelation, though occasional, is not really acceptable, and it is only at 1080P, same as the other box.

lostinspace

I went for a Manhattan and a Roku for the apps.
Well pleased as I get Atmos via the Roku.
And it worked out much cheaper than the Aura.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton