Humax Aura 1Tb going back due to power issues

Mgordon28

I took delivery of this machine from Richer Sounds (excellent service) just after Easter to replace a Sky Q system. I set it up with a 2018 32" Samsung TV to figure out its bells and whistles work. My physical location had issues with HD channels from Crystal Palace which Humax tech support sorted promptly. Come this morning, goodbye Sky. Disconnected Humax box and connected it to big 2019 Samsung. Humax immediately sorted itself out, played happily for 30 minutes, all bells and whistles working. Turned it off, feeling smug!

Tried turning it on an hour later to show wife. It refused to start, saying No power although box showed blue. Tried several things without success, eventually pulled plug. Waited anon, restarted, back it came. Turned it off again, same thing happened. At this I phoned Humax tech support again. We tried everything, including factory resets, no joy. Advised to back it. This I have done. Again, excellent service from Richer Sounds who are replacing it asap.

Just done a bit of reading and apparently this is a know issue, and has been for a while. Be advised this device is first generation and it seems a bit buggy and there is no hard reset pinhole or button, nor is it recognised anywhere in Humax literature. It is such a shame that such a potentially fine piece of kit is doing a wobbly.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
I took delivery of this machine from Richer Sounds (excellent service) just after Easter to replace a Sky Q system. I set it up with a 2018 32" Samsung TV to figure out its bells and whistles work. My physical location had issues with HD channels from Crystal Palace which Humax tech support sorted promptly. Come this morning, goodbye Sky. Disconnected Humax box and connected it to big 2019 Samsung. Humax immediately sorted itself out, played happily for 30 minutes, all bells and whistles working. Turned it off, feeling smug!

Tried turning it on an hour later to show wife. It refused to start, saying No power although box showed blue. Tried several things without success, eventually pulled plug. Waited anon, restarted, back it came. Turned it off again, same thing happened. At this I phoned Humax tech support again. We tried everything, including factory resets, no joy. Advised to back it. This I have done. Again, excellent service from Richer Sounds who are replacing it asap.

Just done a bit of reading and apparently this is a know issue, and has been for a while. Be advised this device is first generation and it seems a bit buggy and there is no hard reset pinhole or button, nor is it recognised anywhere in Humax literature. It is such a shame that such a potentially fine piece of kit is doing a wobbly.

Have you got the latest public release firnware Apr 12 2021

Press the FVP button. Move to the cog icon and press OK. Go down to Freeview Play Preference and press OK. Scroll to System information and press OK.

Post Application Version and Update Date.

There is also a new home screen from Google. Open Google Playstore click on my apps and update your apps.

After the update Press the FVP button move to the right (power) Click OK and reboot.

Mgordon28

Alas, the saga continues. New box arrived, set it up on 32" Samsung full HD TV. Perfect. Ran it for an hour. On and off: perfect.

Then moved it to Samsung UE55NU7400. Nightmare began. Started up, synced with remote. Off it went, with a 794meg firmware download which took two goes at completing due to "network issues". Finished downloading, installed update and that was that. Aura bricked.

Plug out, and after five minutes, it started up, blue light. Samsung could not see it on autostart so tried to set it up manually. Appeared on HDMI1 and could go no further.

Spoke to Richer and agreed to contact Samsung. Two hours later, no further forward except TV off wall, cables swapped several times to no avail.
Samsung thought it might be an issue with regard to UHTV compatibility but as could not get the thing to initialise, i was stuffed!

In the end, all techies gave up, the box goes back and I have to reassemble my lounge! Wife less than impressed.

Mgordon28

The latest plan from Richer to be delivered tomorrow is they supplied a Humax FVP-5000T 2TB box. This has been around a fair while so most of the kinks should have been ironed out. Ironically if the Samsung does not see this box, then the fault is with the TV! And, that too, is under warranty. What most of my techie friends have difficulty with is that the two devices just will not talk to each other, so you cannot even get started. If I had to guess, I suspect that the latest Humax FW download of 794meg introduced something that bricked it. We will never know. Watch this space. Meanwhile the snooker looks excellent on the TV and the 4k Firestick is behaving itself too. Thanks to all.

Mgordon28

Well, it came but would not instal. So I reset the TV and went into Manual mode and eventually is showed up. After that it configured itself sweetly until it came to accepting terms and conditions. Could not access the tick boxes!
Back to Humax, they knew about this. Reinstall it. It is a wifi hiccup. Sure enough it repeated the installation routine, found a software update, and then it did accept key presses.
First impressions are that it seems very clunky after the Sky Q box. The onscreen font display looks like a 1990s video monitor display but it does drive my Denon box's sound.
Have set up a few of the supplied apps and a few recordings and we see how it goes.
One final Humax point. I was told that an Aura turned up for them to test. They could not get it going. The implication was that this box was mine. I feel better.

Pat Human

Novice Member
I’m on my second Humax Aura. Today after working fine for 2 months, it just won’t start up. I get flashes of Android Home Screen but otherwise black. Tried unplugging and restarting 4 times. No joy. The flash’s were a clue. Swapped round the Hdmi leads and it works. So obviously an HDMI handshake issue. I was using the Hdmi lead that came with the Aura. But why suddenly an issue now?

Last edited:

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Cable moved to something that can cause interference? Cable becoming slightly unseated due to thermal problems? Cable worn out after passing too many electrons? :D At the end of the day, if swapping the cable has sorted the issue, just bin the old cable and carry on enjoying the box.

Pat Human

Novice Member
I meant I used same hdmi cables (maybe should get new ones with correct speed) but changed which device went in which hdmi port. Apparently 4K TVs can have problems with hdmi cables need resetting.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Not in my experience. I have a 4K TV and have never needed to swap any cables. I wonder if the issue in in fact sone sort of device issue, either with the Aura or the TV?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom