Humax 9300 - Stuttering and skipping on playback

Daniel B

Standard Member
Hello all,

after a bit of advice, or suggestions really,

I bought a 9300 PVR with the 320GB hard drive, in around January 2010, so 16 months ago or so, and up until this minute it has been pretty much faultless, and I was completely won over by it.

Over the last few days I recorded all 3 episodes of Exile, and on the last two, whilst watching on playback, it has with no warning skipped forward, sometimes a few seconds, sometimes maybe 10, and then when it starts playing again the voice is out of sync.

I can rewind slowly and see all the scene, and this worked for episode two and was not too troublesome, but for the last episode, I had to do this about 5 times until I could see the 'hidden' scene, it was very bizarre.

Also, in case it was a specific area on the Hard drive, this cannot really be the case, as both episodes are on there, so are not occupying the same space.

The fact I can get it to play eventually, seems to prove that it is not the fault of the incoming signal, and it was not recorded like that at the time, so just seems to be a playback issue.

Luckily I bought it from Richer Sounds and took out the extended warranty, so I have that to cover myself, but just wanted to check if anyone had seen something like this before - a google search turned up little in the way of this.

Am I able to gain any technical support from Humax themselves, or must I go back to Richer sounds if this continues?

Many thanks

Dan

Gavtech

Administrator
Hello all,

after a bit of advice, or suggestions really,

I bought a 9300 PVR with the 320GB hard drive, in around January 2010, so 16 months ago or so, and up until this minute it has been pretty much faultless, and I was completely won over by it.

Over the last few days I recorded all 3 episodes of Exile, and on the last two, whilst watching on playback, it has with no warning skipped forward, sometimes a few seconds, sometimes maybe 10, and then when it starts playing again the voice is out of sync.

I can rewind slowly and see all the scene, and this worked for episode two and was not too troublesome, but for the last episode, I had to do this about 5 times until I could see the 'hidden' scene, it was very bizarre.

Also, in case it was a specific area on the Hard drive, this cannot really be the case, as both episodes are on there, so are not occupying the same space.

The fact I can get it to play eventually, seems to prove that it is not the fault of the incoming signal, and it was not recorded like that at the time, so just seems to be a playback issue.

Luckily I bought it from Richer Sounds and took out the extended warranty, so I have that to cover myself, but just wanted to check if anyone had seen something like this before - a google search turned up little in the way of this.

Am I able to gain any technical support from Humax themselves, or must I go back to Richer sounds if this continues?

Many thanks

Dan

You should at least report it to Humax. They cannot support you if they don't know about it.

But there are a few other things to say.
One is that there are so many changes going on in digital broadcasting, on a continual basis, that you should not be too quick to dismiss the incoming signal as being a potential cause of the problem. Encoding changes can cause decoding problems.

Secondly, the fault that you describe can also arise from buffering problems which can befall all modern digital receiving equipment and which can be due to memory buffers getting choked with corrupted data.

When this occurs, the standard method of cleaning it out is to disconnect the unit from the mains for a while to allow the corrupt data to dissipate.
Reconnection also forces a reset of the micro so any problems there are also cleared. You could try this.

Daniel B

Standard Member
Hi Gav,

many thanks for your reply,

I would definitely like to report it to Humax, just when I looked online it appeared to me that the humax direct support was only for units bought direct from them, and another site I found was for independent retailers.

Don't suppose you know what mail address I should use?

The reason I was fairly sure it was not a reception issue, is that if I rewound it at slow speed, I could see the entire scene, and if I did this enough times, eventually I could get it to play through without skipping - which is what made me think it was more likely to be a hard drive issue.

However from what you are saying, perhaps it is a buffering issue of sorts, so I will try the unplug from the mains socket - thanks for that!

I assume I just need to leave it unplugged for 10 minutes or so?

Cheers

Dan

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi Gav,

many thanks for your reply,

I would definitely like to report it to Humax, just when I looked online it appeared to me that the humax direct support was only for units bought direct from them, and another site I found was for independent retailers.

Don't suppose you know what mail address I should use?

I have not checked out any addresses... but there must be two different kinds of support.
There must be a retail support for direct purchasers but what you want is technical support which will apply to all owners and users.
I assume I just need to leave it unplugged for 10 minutes or so?

10 minutes might do it.
An hour minimum is better to be sure.
Overnight is best.

Good luck.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom