Humax 9200TB Starting recordings late

Maccaloon

Established Member
Reaction score
Just purchased a 9200TB this week from Humax Direct and have been irritated by a number of niggles already. It was very sluggish out of the box, but a reset appears to have quickened things (although the EPG is still VERY slow), but I've carried out a few test recordings and have found the recordings are starting too late, often after the opening credits....

Adjusting the start time in the settings means I'll end up losing the series link function, one of the reasons I bought the thing, so I was wondering if any owners have found a solution for the annoying problem?

Thanks.

Just purchased a 9200TB this week from Humax Direct and have been irritated by a number of niggles already. It was very sluggish out of the box, but a reset appears to have quickened things (although the EPG is still VERY slow), but I've carried out a few test recordings and have found the recordings are starting too late, often after the opening credits....

Adjusting the start time in the settings means I'll end up losing the series link function, one of the reasons I bought the thing, so I was wondering if any owners have found a solution for the annoying problem?

Thanks.
It is a known limitation of the Humax Freeview+ PVRs (the most serious limitation IMO). Humax are aware of the issue but have not seen fit to implement a cure. Maybe the hardware makes it impossible? Who knows?

You will find that the delayed start is related to whether the signal to start the recording of a programme (a status change of the transmitted EITp/f (Now/Next) to make the subject programme the current programme) is transmitted before or after the scheduled start time of the programme. For programmes which start after the scheduled time the typical delay is between zero and 10s. For programmes which start before the scheduled time the typical delay is between 30 and 40s but can be a much as 1m.

There are some detailed results of tests I did on this issue here. That posts mentions a link between the delay and the start time related to scheduled time. It was further testing (not yet reported in detail) which I did in collaboration with another user that confirmed this relationship.

If your are getting sluggish response and you have just purchased your unit this suggests you may not have the latest 1.00.23 software which cures this issue. This software was produced earlier this year but if yoiur unit has been out of service for sime time it may not have aquired it.

Colin

Last edited:
Thanks. You are correct, I do not have the current software on a machine purchased from them in the last week. It is running 1.00.21 and any attempt to look for a manual update says there is no new software, when there quite clearly is.

How am I supposed to update the software? I have to use a PC and now shell out money to buy a cable? :(

How am I supposed to update the software? I have to use a PC and now shell out money to buy a cable? :(
The search for OTA update will only find it whilst it is being broadcast. Due to the number of makes/models of Freeview receivers and the limited bandwidth available to broadcast software updates they have to take it in turns. Humax comes around again in about 3 weeks:
Software updates

Software updates for the following products are confirmed for next month:-
PVR9300T, PVR9200T, PVR9150T
PVR9300T: 20th - 22nd Dec: Version UPTTF 1.00.23 (8th time broadcast)
PVR9200T: 22nd - 24th Dec: Version UPTTF 1.00.23 (8th time broadcast)
PVR9150T: 29th - 31st Dec: Version UPTTF 1.00.23 (8th time broadcast)

I have had the same problems.

Its due to the digital switchover.

I tried to update to .23. Bought an RS232 cable and flooed the instructions on their website ...

Welcome to HUMAX [UK]

... doesn't work. my XP PC doesn't seem to be able to see the humax box so I will have to waith for the OTA broadcast update ... what a load of bllx.

Anyone any ideas why my PC can't see the humax via the RS232 cable?

I have had the same problems.

Its due to the digital switchover.

I tried to update to .23. Bought an RS232 cable and flooed the instructions on their website ...

Welcome to HUMAX [UK]

... doesn't work. my XP PC doesn't seem to be able to see the humax box so I will have to waith for the OTA broadcast update ... what a load of bllx.

Anyone any ideas why my PC can't see the humax via the RS232 cable?

Couple of points come to mind:

Is your cable wired: 2-3, 3-2, 5-5 ?

Also are you sure you have the right COMs port on your PC ?

To prove which COMs port is which perhaps the easiest way is to load Hyperterminal. Set a manual connection against a COMs port and then to loop back pins 2 -3 on that 8 way. Key presses on your keyboard should then be echoed back onto the screen.

If your trying to load the software and you get a failed load displayed on your 9200 then suggest that you try another download of the software from the Humax site. (my first download was corrupt, which I found when I downloaded for a second time and did a file compare)

However in saying all of that I have a 9200 with 0.23 software and it still FAILS to turn on in time to record a program. . . . with pre and post padding set to 0.

Of course once you set values in pre or post padding you loose series link.

IMO the Humax 9200 is not fit for purpose.

My solution to this problem - Humax slung back in the cupboard and using a Topfield tf5800t

I hope my post has been of use :)

However in saying all of that I have a 9200 with 0.23 software and it still FAILS to turn on in time to record a program. . . . with pre and post padding set to 0.

Of course once you set values in pre or post padding you loose series link.
If you use padding on a Humax Freeview PVR then you not only lose Series Record, you also lose Accurate Recording so you can't expect recordings to start at the beginning of the programme (as defined by the broadcaster). The recordings will start at the scheduled time of the programme plus or minus the padding and based on the system clock. This applied to previous software versions also.

Colin

If you use padding on a Humax Freeview PVR then you not only lose Series Record, you also lose Accurate Recording so you can't expect recordings to start at the beginning of the programme (as defined by the broadcaster). The recordings will start at the scheduled time of the programme plus or minus the padding and based on the system clock. This applied to previous software versions also.

Colin

Yes, exactly, I realise that. . . . . isn't that what the text says ?

The problem with the 9200 is that the Accurate Recording doesn't work properly. . . . . result you miss the beginning of a program.

On the basis that 90%+ of programs start at their booked time then your perhaps better to add pre and post padding rather than continually miss the start of programs. But of course no series link and it makes the 9200 really no better than a VCR from 25+ years back.

However Humax claim to support Freeview+, series link etc and in that mode (pre & post padding = 0) the product doesn't do what is says on the tin

In tests that I have done with my 9200 at 0.23 software (in accurate bookmark & series link mode - that is no pre and post padding) sitting alongside my Topfield 5800 the toppy (which also supports Accurate Recording and series link) has come on "on time" where as the 9200 had started recording after the program has started.

In summary:

(1) My 9200 has never really worked properly

(2) With both a Humax 9200 and a Toppy 5800 I feel that I wasted money when buying the 9200 but the cost of the Toppy 5800 was money well spent. . .the product works each and everytime.

Last edited by a moderator:
I paid <£100 almost 2 years ago for my 9200T and - even with the 'late start' feature I'm generally very happy with it. The late start rarely loses anything important (we tend to skip forward to miss the 'previously on xxx' bits anyway!). It beats the Thomson TUTV box I had previously into a cocked hat as it is actually quiet when in standby.

As a 'geek' I'd have loved to have a Topfield PVR but the price put me off at the time I was looking; it seemed from what I read it wasn't particularly user-friendly out of the box but needed TAPs to be added which might not suit others?.

9200s go on ebay for around £45 to £65 plus delivery so you could recoup some of your 'wasted' outlay?

IMO the Humax 9200 is not fit for purpose.
It could be argued that "out of the box" the Toppy is not fit for purpose. If it was, why do so many users feel the need to improve it? IIRC the Toppy does not even have a Skip feature, which I consider to be an essential basic feature in any PVR.

Colin

It could be argued that "out of the box" the Toppy is not fit for purpose. If it was, why do so many users feel the need to improve it? Colin

Admittedly out of the box the Toppy only has basic functionallity but this does include series link and accurate recording. But isn't the purpose of the TAP feature to then let you tailor a Toppy to your requirements. . . .. I think it is !

IIRC the Toppy does not even have a Skip feature, which I consider to be an essential basic feature in any PVR.
Colin

Suggest, rather than being so negative to a Topfield product that you take time to look over the features that a TAP is able to provide. Such as with MyStuff.

The amount of "Skip" can be programmed against each of the R/G/B/Y buttons. The amount can be -ve or +ve, your choice. :smashin:

The start of a program is marked with a Book Mark and you can add or delete these, as you wish. And of course skip to the next book mark if you wish. :smashin:

Also when a % of a program has been watched (System parameter of the % is configured by YOU. . . . of course) the Toppy can then be further configured to ask if you wish to continue watching a recording from that point or skip back to the beginning . . . . . . . :smashin:

And these is an option by single key press to Skip back to the start of a recording at any time. :smashin:

Just how many Skips does one want? And if all of this is seeming a bit complex then you don't have to implement all of these features. :clap:

in summary with a TAP like MyStuff the user is able to configure a Toppy to be as complex or simple as they really what it to be. :thumbsup:

The bias of your recent posts has been noted by a number of members, including me.

Whatever the pro's and cons of this, or any other machine, it does not make it the universal answer for everyone.

Other factors need to be taken into account when making recommendations for others.

in summary with a TAP like MyStuff the user is able to configure a Toppy to be as complex or simple as they really what it to be. :thumbsup:
I don't doubt the Toppy is capable of many things not available on other PVRs but it does depend on installing TAPs which is something most people would not want to do IMO. This does not make it suitable for someone who wants an easy to use no hassle PVR.

Other PVRs may lack some features and have shortcomings but I don't believe that renders them unfit for purpose. It depends on the demands and preferences of the individual user.

Colin

The bias of your recent posts has been noted by a number of members, including me.

Whatever the pro's and cons of this, or any other machine, it does not make it the universal answer for everyone.

Other factors need to be taken into account when making recommendations for others.

if you are referring to my previous posts I don't believe you will find ANYWHERE a recommendation.

I've just told it as an owner of the 9200 as to how I have found the product. Both pre and post 0.23 software.

and the solution I have adopted and my option. . . . nothing more.

Really you can only cast an option on a product if you own or have own it.

Strange as it may seem, people don't usually post advising that they have found something a product doesn't do, when it in fact does.

However what does seem reasonability clear from posts, made by others, is that they are quick to pass judgement on a product that they have proberly never owned. Or if they have, they have never properly understood, for whatever reason.

Admittedly out of the box the Toppy only has basic functionallity but this does include series link and accurate recording.
Erm . . . I don't think so - my Toppy has never had series link! And it has never had an OTA software update either. As an 'out of the box' product, the Toppy is far inferior to the Hummy. Though the Toppy is slightly more stable than the Hummy.

But isn't the purpose of the TAP feature to then let you tailor a Toppy to your requirements. . . .. I think it is !
You may be perfectly correct - but for probably 99% of the UK Freeview-viewing population, adding TAPs is just way over their heads. I'm no computer geek, nor am I a computer ignoranus - but for the life of me - I just can't be bothered faffing around with TAPs.

As far as I'm concerned, a product should work out of the box, or be correctly 'updated' by autonomous OTA software updates - why do you think $ky Plus is SO popular, and there are so many complaints about Freeview Plus boxes?

Suggest, rather than being so negative to a Topfield product that you take time to look over the features that a TAP is able to provide. Such as with MyStuff.

The amount of "Skip" can be programmed against each of the R/G/B/Y buttons. The amount can be -ve or +ve, your choice. :smashin:

The start of a program is marked with a Book Mark and you can add or delete these, as you wish. And of course skip to the next book mark if you wish. :smashin:

Also when a % of a program has been watched (System parameter of the % is configured by YOU. . . . of course) the Toppy can then be further configured to ask if you wish to continue watching a recording from that point or skip back to the beginning . . . . . . . :smashin:

And these is an option by single key press to Skip back to the start of a recording at any time. :smashin:

Just how many Skips does one want? And if all of this is seeming a bit complex then you don't have to implement all of these features. :clap:

All the above is just utter gobbledegoop to the majority of TV viewers . . . .

if you are referring to my previous posts I don't believe you will find ANYWHERE a recommendation.

I've just told it as an owner of the 9200 as to how I have found the product. Both pre and post 0.23 software.

and the solution I have adopted and my option. . . . nothing more.

Really you can only cast an option on a product if you own or have own it.

Strange as it may seem, people don't usually post advising that they have found something a product doesn't do, when it in fact does.

However what does seem reasonability clear from posts, made by others, is that they are quick to pass judgement on a product that they have proberly never owned. Or if they have, they have never properly understood, for whatever reason.

Putting your points aside, since you have not taken the hint here - I was addressing the style of your recent posts, which appeared to have an agenda, were leaning toward the combative, and are potentially disruptive.

That is not welcome.

Understand that you are free to disagree with any member about anything... but there are ways of doing it without straying into impertinence.

Please take care to avoid doing that. Thanks.

Putting your points aside, since you have not taken the hint here - I was addressing the style of your recent posts, which appeared to have an agenda, were leaning toward the combative, and are potentially disruptive.

That is not welcome.

Understand that you are free to disagree with any member about anything... but there are ways of doing it without straying into impertinence.

Please take care to avoid doing that. Thanks.

Comments Not accepted.

Just telling my experience as the owner of the Humax 9200 -

I spent good money on a 9200 and found out that it didn't work properly and still it doesn't.

If anyone whats to purchase the same, to find out the same. . . . carry on.

And as the owner of a Toppy 5800 I am able to share my experience of that machine as well.

Please also note, still no recommendation made.

Good Evening

Comments Not accepted.

Just telling my experience as the owner of the Humax 9200 -

I spent good money on a 9200 and found out that it didn't work properly and still it doesn't.

If anyone whats to purchase the same, to find out the same. . . . carry on.

And as the owner of a Toppy 5800 I am able to share my experience of that machine as well.

Please also note, still no recommendation made.

Good Evening

So that you do not misunderstand, I was addressing all your posts of your recent visits not just the posts in this thread.

Also understand that I am not referring to anything you have said but to the way you have said it and why. Motive and style.

The request is to take care on the matter, as it may simply be inadvertent on your part.
There may be no intention on your part but a number of us noticed it.

Please review all your posts and reconsider that point.

I have a Humax PVR9200T and a Topfield 5800t.
On purchase of the Topfield and installing to it the MyStuff 6.2 package (including firmware), I passed the Humax onto my parents to use.
I set it to record their series, and it does so except when the HDD is filled when I remind them to delete what they have watched or will not watch.
The Topfield works the way I want. Would I suggest my parents use one? Yes, but only because I am here to work it for them.
Will they get one? No, because it is obsolete (no HD), and the path is towards having a (possibly Humax) Freesat HD recorder. Freesat to enable the choice of local programmes that cannot be received via terrestrial, and for those periods when terrestrial signal is compromised by atmospheric conditions.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom