HUMAX 9200t V21 FREEZES SINCE UPGRADE

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Tinderbox (UK), Jan 21, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi.

I have had 3 freezes since v21.

The last w.as this morning, I set a recording from 600am till 900am.

when i check it at 930am it was still recording.

I tried to stop the recoding, but the 9200t would not respond to the remote control or the buttons on the front of the machine.

so i had to use the power switch on the back.

anybody else have any freezes with v21

I only had v15 for a week before the upgrade and i had no freezes.

regards

John.

2. crammedin

crammedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    There is an NHS stop smoking advert on Channel4/related channels that is interactive (press red) and which started last week. Sometimes the MHEG code in the advert broadcast can cause the PVR to stop responding, other times the machine deals with the advert OK. Company responsible for the MHEG code and manufacturer are talking so it will be interesting to see what happens.

3. laffmeister

laffmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've had the same prob with freezing. any solutions? can the upgrade be uninstalled?

4. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Last time we had MHEG problems the workround was to not watch live, use chaseplay on the buffer or a recording. Pressing Green (to kill interactive) might work. Otherwise you'll just have to wait for a fix, I'm not convinced downgrading firmware will help, I don't think the MHEG engine was changed in recent versions and you definitely don't want the very old (1.00.08 and earlier) versions. We rarely watch live TV on the 9200 though so wouldn't see many MHEG lockups.

My lockups so far have all been while playing radio recordings after starting a USB connection.

5. crammedin

crammedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Yes the upgrade can be uninstalled and different versions put on to replace. See the FAQ section on hummy.org.uk. Although in this case changing the software isnt going to help because its not software version dependant. For the time being I think its best to avoid leaving the machine for long periods unattended on one of the channel 4 group channels, just in case the NHS advert comes up and in case the box decides it cant handle it. Yes Interactive (MHEG handling) is disabled on the Humax if you watch a channel in timeslip (say 2 or 3 seconds behind live) so that could work too.

6. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi.

just to confirm

I have had 3 locks-ups since v21.

1: Was when using pressing the picture in picture button while recording.

2: I removed the USB cable when the 9200t was ON.

3: Recording sky news, caused a over-run and a lock-up.

I cannot attribute any of the problems above to channel4 or E4 and i watch a lot of both channels.

regards

John.

7. crammedin

crammedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I dont think those 3 different occasions are anything to do with the MHEG issue with the current NHS no smoking ad.

8. SATM

SATM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Having completed the download,did you activate the default setting as per Humax's e-mail?

9. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    Just for the record....i have had one lock up since the update(was rewinding through the buffer while recording another channel),but have had about 3 before that, in the 11 months since ive owned my 9200, so i dont think it is a problem exclusive to the latest update.

EDIT.
    Make that 2 lock ups since the update now.
    I have just been watching The Simpsons on ch.4 using chaseplay, and the screen froze, but the audio continued for a second or two, before it too froze. As usual, the only way to cure it was to flick the switch on the back.

Hmmmm....almost as many lock ups in 1 week,as ive previously had in 1 year. :(

10. SuperMinko

SuperMinko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had my first lockup this week too...

Just watching live Sky Sports News and everything froze. I wasn't recording anything at the time.

I'm guessing this isn't the MHEG problem - strange these all start to happen after an update...

11. paul4

paul4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had no freezes, however .....

I've had one recoding which showed (obviously) in the recording schedule but not in the recorded programs screen during recording. When the recording finished it never appeared in the recorded programs list - so it vapourised?

I've had one non-recording which failed apparently to a conflict, but there was not one - nothing was being viewed nor recorded at the same time.

All in all it is many times better than the last time I updated, but if the requirements of a PVR are to record, as mine is, then two failures in the first week or so do not make me happy.

paul4

12. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    1.00.21 has been doing some pretty strange things here with timers. I've had one of my weekday repeat timers (Star Trek on Virgin1) 'vanish' twice now, not showing in the EPG yet still being set the 2nd time. I found that out when I recreated the timer yesterday and it clashed with itself! Last nights recording recorded as 'That 70's Show', from several hours away in the schedule.

Did you find a recording from the time of the failure? Older firmware dropped recordings when it tried allocating a tuner and failed, but that means there had to be something else recording and you'd find it. Humax have had their 'friends' drop hints new software does better, maybe its resolving collisions with phantom recordings?

13. crammedin

crammedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Found out today that the NHS ad is on Sky News and Sky Sports News as well. Saw one at 07:20 and one at 09:00. Suprisingly the machine coped OK and handled it. But I guess it could explain the lockup>runaway recording mentioned yesterday. Hmmm

14. paul4

paul4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No Paul, nothing at all

paul4

15. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    That's worrying, a recording shorter than ~20sec will be discarded but all reports of short recordings so far are around 1-2min. I wonder if the new 'tries harder' EPG code is corrupting things?

I'm already convinced the extra processing I assume it must be doing is causing my increased rate of failures and lockups during USB use (that's on top of the radio lockups BTW). And that's with Playback disabled!

16. paul4

paul4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I don't like all this series event/single program stuff, especially as the default needs to be changed every time. If I want to record a program then I'll record it.

Don't like track changes thing either. Reminds me that it might be worse than the PDC stuff on VCRs which only worked on some (UK) channels and it dependeed on how it was implemented - start priority, stop priority - which caused me to miss many a recording, although I have to say that was, of course, single tuner series recording so vastly different.

I'd have preferred a single-click adds x mins to start/end time and take my chances.

Can't have it all, but prefer things that work :)

paul4

17. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    No freezes as yet, but I do have the latest loader 4.09 and did do a system reset after installing the latest update.

Having said that it'll be locked up by the time I get home!!

I do love my Hummy though - revolutionised the way I watch TV.

18. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    But we already have that, although it cant be a single click, because it makes sense to be able to specify how long.:)

19. paul4

paul4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought of OTR in my VCR, one click adds 15, another click 30 etc

Could have been each click adds 5 - in my perrrrfect spec :)

paul4

20. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    Ive just had another unusual thing happen for the very first time.

When i came downstairs this morning, i could hear that the fan on my Humax was running. Very strange, because it was off, and i knew it wasnt recording. :confused:
    As usual, the remote had no effect, so i had to use the switch on the back. I done this and it briefly came on, then went into standby. After that i was able to turn it on via the remote, and all was fine.

All these freezes and lock ups are starting to become a bit of a nuisance, and i have to say, they have become much more frequent since the recent update. :(

21. paul4

paul4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last night 'er indoors was watching a 1hr recording but the bar was at the 'end' showing 26 mins of 26 mins, and she couldn't FF to pass the adverts. Continued to watch the rest of the 34 mins no problem.

When finished she checked and it showed 60mins. Went back to the start and it behaved (on 32x and 64x) throughout the full 60 mins.

These strange occurrences (since the upgrade) are getting tedious.

paul4

22. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    On older firmware that was a sign the file system had a problem. Since it finally decided there really is 60min there its most probably just another random glitch in v21, however I suggest you keep a watch for other file weirdness just in case. Things like deleted programmes reappearing, names changing or recordings showing the wrong content.

23. v CJ v

v CJ v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    I've turned mt auto updates off, and i did this from day one (aprox 3 weeks ago)

Unless these updates are confirmed 100% ok, i'll be sticking with the old versions.

Anyone know what the new updates provide? Am i missing anything? Does it really matter?

24. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    Missed my first series link with accurate recording tonight - Never Mind The Buzzcocks. It recorded ok last week,and updated correctly in the schedule for tonight, but never recorded. :(
    In contrast, 2 other programmes recorded perfectly last night using series link and accurate recording, so im thinking this could be a situation similar to(although not as bad)what PDC was in days of old.
    Looks like im not going to be able to trust it......

Edit.
    Just to add insult to injury at missing my scheduled recording of Never Mind The Buzzcocks - i notice it has rescheduled its self for next Thursday.

25. robtek70

robtek70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I have had about a dozen lock-ups since I put the upgrade on. It did occasionaly freeze up before but no nearly so much. Also every now and then the the handset doesn't control the Humax and I have to switch the machine off and on again with the back switch. It is not the handset it self as I have a spare one and that doesn't work either.

26. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Unless I'm imagining it the most vocal of the Humax beta testers have gone silent in the last few days. That usually means they're busy testing something. Let's just hope this comes quicker than the v20->v21 bandaid did, that Humax give v23 to enough people for proper bug hunting and that they stop pretending only Playback is important.

And fix the damn overlapped tuners design error, not carry on fudging round it (badly) :mad:

Meanwhile the 2nd tier are continuing with 'Carry On Astroturfing' ;)

27. Dermay

Dermay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also had 2 lock ups since the upgrade, in the 2 years previously i had no lock ups at all.

My last lock up yesterday was when i was chase playing a programme which we recorded whilst getting our tea ready.

The programme just locked up when i tried to start it, and the recording ceased.i had to power of before i could start the recording again.

I had activated a default after the upgrade. I hope that this is not the start of a larger problem.

28. luke vader

luke vader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's happened half a dozen times to me since the upgrade. Did the default reset after installation.
    I'm also wondering wether my new sony RDR - HXD870 dvd recorder might be having an effect on it. I have my main outdoor aerial in the PVR, then looped to my sony dvd recorder.
    It's probably just paranoia.

29. goose51

goose51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13

This has happened to me also in the last couple of days. Turned off the 'Auto update' function and also cancelled a series record i had programmed. will turn the auto update back on to see whether it was this, then if all's well i'll set a series record to see whether that was the problem. will post an update tomorrow.
    No other problems to report since the update though!:thumbsup:

30. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Another highly suspicious event: just check 'My Family' from a few days ago, the 9200 thinks it recorded 14 minutes, playing it shows 30 minutes. In older firmware that was a 100% guarantee the file system was crosslinked. Given how flaky 21 seems I don't know if that's true this time but I'm worried.

I'm beginning to wonder if there's any point keeping v21, the overlap bug fixes are fixes for brand new Playback features, not the ones I've been waiting 2 years for and they don't seem to work on autopad timers anyway. The Playback features the sycophants expect me to be grateful for don't work on radio or half the TV I use and Humax cancelled the features and bug fixes I have been waiting for in favour of Playback. A worthless gift is not something to be grateful for.

Worst of all its become clear bugs in their Playback code are leaking into the older stuff and disabling playback doesn't disable its bloody bugs.

The choice I'm told I have isn't a choice at all, I can have bugs with new features or bugs without them. I can have Playback, whether it works or not, whether the broadcasters cooperate or not, what I can't have is simply fixes for well documented Humax screwups. That Playback sticker truly is more important to the Humax beancounters than making the bloody box work properly.