Humax 9200T Upgrade - Arrgggghhhh: Help

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by joe90, Aug 25, 2006.

Tags:
  1. joe90

joe90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Guys,

Thought this would be easy! (doh!).
    Setup:
    Brand new Humax 9200T.
    Sony Vaio Laptop.
    USB-RS232 Cable & Female-Female gender adapter & driver (Huge Pine)

Initial load of driver and cable aligned LT connection to COM6! Com1 & 2 giving errors and 3 & 4 "used"

Realised that internal modem was on conflicting COM port. Realigned internal modem to COM6. Deinstall driver software. Roboot.

Reinstall driver .. now on COM3

Loaded oak and neo software.

Tried to run them both as per instructions here and hummy site - nothing "talking" !?

More info:

Current config...

Hardware Version: PVR9200T Rev 1.0
    Software Version: PGXTF 1.00.04
    Loader Version: a4.08
    System ID: 3020.0000
    Update date: 29 Mar 2006

COM3..
    port settings:
    bits/sec=115200
    data bits=8
    parity= none
    stop bits=1
    flow control=none

Original errors on Wdn4oak:
    Error accessing Communication port.. Please check your Comm port. (Error: 2)

and later (Error:5)

I have no idea what these errors mean?

The LT does have a Bluetooth Virtual Com Port installed, but I don't think that is affecting anything.

Any of you guys techno-capable to lend a guy some needed advice. :lease: HELP!

Other than that the unit is working perfectly ... would just REALLY like to update to latest software and loader.

Joe

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    You need a null modem cable. The will give you the female/female connection. Null modem is TD/RD wires crossed - not a straight connection that a gender adaptor will give you.

Otherwise you can probably adjust your comm port without reloading the drivers. You normally do this in the properties for the comm port in the device manager - its often under advanced port settings in the advanced tab.

3. joe90

joe90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Ian,

Do you know which properties in device manager need to be changed?

Thanks,

Joe

4. crammedin

crammedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Joe, I think it was someone on hummy.org.uk that was using a USB to Serial lead but he had problems until he connected a null modem cable (female to female) to the USB to serial cable. Sorry if this is what you are already doing and I misunderstood. Son_t made someobservations using a USB to serial adaptor in this FAQ (I dont know if it will give you any more pointers though): http://www.hummy.org.uk/invison/index.php?showtopic=473

5. joe90

joe90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hmmm....

Interesting.

Thing that I can't understand is that a normal null modem cable is a female - female connector which inherently has the wires crossed internally. ie hardware driven.

What happens in the case of a usb - 9 pin male connector? Are the wires still crossed, or does the sofware sort it out? How does the usb side of things know what to do with the wires?

And what would happen if you buy the former cable and then plug it together with the latter cable? ie USB - RS232 (male) <=> RS232 (female) - RS232 (female).

Do you think that this would then rectify the problem?

Joe

6. crammedin

crammedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I dont have one of these so dont really know how it works or how to trouble shoot it. But there are people with only USB ports and use a USB to serial adaptor to update hummy firmware. Hopefully they can advise accordingly. Its been covered before from memory a few times in the Humax PVR section on DS and on hummy.org.uk so maybe a search there can bring up some pointers - or try asking there as well as here.

7. son_t

son_t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
  8. netdudeuk

netdudeuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've bought this machine this evening and spotted two issues for me so far.

The Five guide is empty after today. Nothing showing for tomorrow. Why is this ?

Also, I thought that my USB cable would be ok for the firmware upgrade. As my notebook PC has no serial ports it looks like I'll have to buy this

http://www.dcs-online.biz/shop/product_info.php/products_id/6464

Does anyone agree or disagree with this choice (a local store) ?

plus I'll still need the serial cable. Maplin are looking for &#163;10 for their null cable so I may buy the connectors and make one myself. Does anyone know what handshaking, if any, is necessary ?

http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/info/RS-232_null_modem.html#noha

I've downloaded three files, WDN4OAK+.zip - which I assume is the actual downloader plus PGXTF10006_all.hdf and a409.hdf. It looks like the first HDF file is the firmware. What's the second one and do I also need to download that one ?

Thanks

9. crammedin

crammedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    The second file is an alternative loader that deal with some issues to do with the behaviour of the scart and RF out that can affect your TV viewing. If you have a problem with the machine taking a lot longer than 15 seconds to start up it can address this also depeding on the problem.

cablestar on ebay des the required serial cable for 99p plus postage.They also do a USB to serial convertor: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....PageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr12_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT See also: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=98192

By the way i posted about Five EPG data today also. Seems OK now though.:confused:

10. netdudeuk

netdudeuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I did a search for your username and didn't find anything about the EPG. Is there a way to re-download it ? I didn't set it up before 2000 hrs though.

11. crammedin

crammedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I must have posted on Digital Spy or Hummy.org.uk then. If you switch your machine off and on again the EPG should repopulate. Sue from digital Spy was told by a user that resetting the machine to factory defaults every few months can help. When Sue did this she reported that the EPG populated better again. There is now a post about populating the EPG on the Humax in the FAQ section on hummy.org.uk which gives some ideas.

12. netdudeuk

netdudeuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a serial cable from Maplin along with a USB to serial convertor and I applied both upgrades with ease (using the hummy.org.uk FAQ). I rebooted the box and now I do have the full Five guide although it took a while to populate.

Maybe someone would be kind enough to answer a couple more newby questions, please ?

There are two BBC ONEs at channels 1 and 800. The '800' one is the good one and is on Emley Moor while the first one is on Belmont. I manually changed the channel on '1' to match that showing on 800 and the signal quality was then reported as being 100%. But, I could find no way to save the change ! Each time that I went back it was on the original channel number. How do I get round this ? Neither the book nor common sense have helped me so far :)

Is there a quick way to watch a recorded program without having to go via the Menu route with the subsequent backing out once Play has been pressed ?

Also, the wife wants Top Up TV. I know that we need a CAM and the card. It seems that places like Dixons and Argos don't even sell the cards now. What's the cheapest way to get started ?

On the whole though I'm very pleased with the 9200T. It looks very well made, the picture looks good to me and the features are good as well.

Thanks

13. crammedin

crammedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I think the best way is to manually delete the TV and radio channels first before manually adding them again according to your chosen transmitter. This will get rid of the duplicates. Again their should be an FAQ on hummy.org.uk about the manual process. of adding channels. To delete all channels first you do that by going into the Menu and selecting EDIT CHANNELS. Select the TV group and delete all TV channels and then select the Radio group and delete all radio channels. Thhen do the manual adding of channels process as described in the FAQ.

For watching recordings there is the playlist. You can access the playlist by pressing the playlist button on the remote - but under the flap - go figure. If you go in via menus to the recorded programmes section you can do stuff to the recordings like rename them, edit them or delete them. There is a little preview window too but to see the recordings full screen you have to press Exit button. If you just want to watch recordings the playlist is probably better because despite being under the flap, the one button brings up all your recordings overlayed over what you are watching.

14. netdudeuk

netdudeuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that reply too Marc. It seems like the FAQ suggests a full retune but TBH I don't need all that. I don't mind the duplicates. All I want to do is make the BBC 1 at '1' be tuned in as the BBC 1 at '800'. I can manually change the number in the drop down list to match the '800's value but I can't see a way to save it. OK brings the list down again and BACK takes you back to the previous menu without saving. As I am typing I am now wondering if there is more to this than I initially thought. All I did was change that number. Do you then need to do a SEARCH as well to pick up the right BBC ?

15. joe90

joe90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi guys,

Quick update: Bought a proper null modem cable (F-F) from ebay (£2.50) and once connected to my usb-RS232 (M) connector the update went as smooth as can be :smashin: No problems whatsoever.

Now have loader a4.09 and software 1.00.06 on my machine. :clap:

Used the Neo software from the website to do the upgrade.

So, for those that are having problems - like I did (with a Laptop) it looks like you need a usb-rs232 cable together with the normal rs232 null modem cable.

I hope this helps someone else who ends up in the same predicament as myself when wanting to accomplish a machine update from their laptop.

Joe

16. grantsteve

grantsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I'm looking to upgrade the software on my machine too but fear I may be prevented from doing so because I'm a Mac user.

Does anyone know if I can do the upgrade with my Mac, the Humax site only appears to have Windose software?

17. crammedin

crammedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    No you cant. Well, someone did it using a mac here - would that work for you? http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=448877

18. grantsteve

grantsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Thanks

It could work I guess, but it looks like a major ball ache to do!

Is it really worth it?!

19. crammedin

crammedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Not knowing anything about Macs it does indeed sound like hassle which is why I started off saying "no". But it might be worth adding a question or two in that thread to mkstevo just to see. It does sound easier to check which PC you might have access to and connect your PVR to it with a femaile to female null modem cable, as it only takes about 3 minutes to do the official way