Humax 9200T sound drop-out after editing file

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Derrick_S, Apr 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Derrick_S

Derrick_S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Humax PVR 9200T works fine in every way as far as I can see, except one. If I edit a pre-recorded programme it creates problems on the soundtrack. For example, if I recored a prog to hard disk and then decided to delete the commercial breaks using the editing facility provided by OPT+ it is easy enough to remove the 4 minute segments of adverts. However, when I listen to the edited programme without the commercial breaks the sound level oscillates for a about 10 seconds during the bit of the programme that immediately follows each deleted segment. This change appears to be a permanent feature of the edited file. Anyone else noticed this? I can't believe that I've got the only machine that does it. Anyone found a way round it? Thanks for any help.

2. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    In TS format stream packets get split into much smaller TS packets and interleaved at the TS level, so arbitrary cuts tend to cut higher level stream packets in half and they have to be discarded during playback. The 9200 records slightly filtered raw transmitted TS data, edits just chop the captured data at video stream packet boundaries, without attempting to fix the other streams. You end up with disruption to all audio and data streams at the start and end of cuts.

The only way round it is to cut on a PC. Leaving a few seconds extra inside the cut is the only workround on the 9200. Its potentially fixable but realistically its never going to happen.

3. Derrick_S

Derrick_S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THAT is quite a reply. Thank you for taking the trouble.

4. Derrick_S

Derrick_S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, forgot to ask, can you recommend an application that will edit TS files on a PC and what does TS stand for? Thanks.

5. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    MPEG splits audio, video and other data (EPG etc.) into variable length packets, blocks of bytes. In a PS (Programme Stream) each packet holds enough data to decode a frame of video or audio. A TS (Transport Stream) splits those packets into smaller fixed size blocks, which need to be recombined to decode anything.

Your editing problems are because you need all the TS packets for each PS chunk but the TS packets arrive in a jumbled order and almost never have the 1st TS packet of each frame of video AND audio in the same place in the file. So any cut loses PS packets and causes dropouts.

To edit you need to convert from TS to PS format. I use ProjectX, it can also do simple cutting. I recommend demuxing and ProjectX will fix a lot of problems in DVB files. For more precise cutting Mpeg2Scnitt or Cuttermaran. Search for the many threads on burning DvB to DVD for more help.