Humax 9200t replacment

bob1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my humax soon for something in black to match everything else.
I only ever turn it on to record something and the most annoying thing the the amount of time it takes to load up the epg , are all pvr's slow at this or is just the humax.

Can you recommend a replacement for the humax?
I'll only be using it to record from like the humax.

Thanks.

I take it the topfield loads the epg quick then, to be honest i was hoping to spend no more than £100 although i don't mind going second hand.

My post seems to have vanished :confused:.

I don't mind second hand like i said ,what are the older topfields like at loading the epg?

Are the newer humax's any quicker at loading the epg than the 9200t?

Are the newer humax's any quicker at loading the epg than the 9200t?

Don't know having only recently acquired a Humax 9200T - but as far as I can tell the epg only loads from scratch if you turn it off at the mains. Do you do this?

ALL boxes will take roughly the same time to populate the epg from the transmitted datastream.... Even if one was to store the epg on the hard disk overnight it would be 'wrong' at switch-on and need re-populating.

Otherwise on my 9200T the epg is displayed promptly and jumping days forward / channels up/down is quicker than my (old, admittedly) Sky box (with, admittedly fewer channels to support).

Don't know having only recently acquired a Humax 9200T - but as far as I can tell the epg only loads from scratch if you turn it off at the mains. Do you do this?
All the Humax Freeview PVRs lose the EPG if set to standby.

Colin

I always turn it off at night and its in standby when all the other gear is on, only ever get turned on to record.
I used to have a pioneer that populated almost instantly ,the humax is painfully slow at times.

I always turn it off at night and its in standby when all the other gear is on, only ever get turned on to record.
I used to have a pioneer that populated almost instantly ,the humax is painfully slow at times.
Was the Pioneer using the Freeview EPG? If so then if it populated almost instantly after being switched of then it must have been stored on the hard drive.

Colin

There was no hard drive on the pioneer is was just a freeview box.
Can anyone with a topfield comment on how fast the epg loads.

In some instances the Humax PVRs can be in active standby, either awaiting a due timer or afflicted by a bug which inhibits normal standby (probably by "thinking" a recording is due).
You can tell as it appears to come out of standby instantly - without displaying the loader progress bar. In this instance the EPG may be substantially populated already, or not erased at standby.

Any receiver that keeps the EPG during standby must store it in flash/non-volatile RAM with power to it maintained.
What happened to the EPG on the Pioneer STB if mains was disconnected?

I don't have a Topfield, but under ideal conditions tuned to just Mux1/BBC it should populate in the same time as a Humax - around 10 mins. That can be reduced on some twin-tuner PVRs if different Mux are selected on each tuner (and the firmware can make sense of both available EPG carousels), but I would not have thought by much.

Last edited:
I have been using a dreambox with a dvb-t tuner in for freeview for the last week and the epg populates in a few seconds when going to bbc1.
I'm not sure of how it works but i very happy with it, i still have the humax for now.

In some instances the Humax PVRs can be in active standby, either awaiting a due timer or afflicted by a bug which inhibits normal standby (probably by "thinking" a recording is due).
You can tell as it appears to come out of standby instantly - without displaying the loader progress bar. In this instance the EPG may be substantially populated already, or not erased at standby.

Any receiver that keeps the EPG during standby must store it in flash/non-volatile RAM with power to it maintained.
What happened to the EPG on the Pioneer STB if mains was disconnected?

I don't have a Topfield, but under ideal conditions tuned to just Mux1/BBC it should populate in the same time as a Humax - around 10 mins. That can be reduced on some twin-tuner PVRs if different Mux are selected on each tuner (and the firmware can make sense of both available EPG carousels), but I would not have thought by much.

The Topfield appears to load the epg quite a lot quicker than a 9200, suspect it's the way it populates the epg filling up the first days for most channels (perhaps using both tuners), I know in theory total load time should be similar but in practice the Toppy always seem to get their first. Done loads of tests by switching both on at the same time and choosing a time, channel and day, the Toppy always gets their first (sometimes by a considerable margin).

Neither is as fast as the freesat hdr though :D

Neither is as fast as the freesat hdr though :D
...given its transmitted on its own channel that's hardly surprising.

The downside is needing to switch tuning just to populate the EPG creates a whole new class of ways to screw up! On the Foxsat HD watching the current programme vanish for 20-30sec when I want the EPG never impresses ;)

...given its transmitted on its own channel that's hardly surprising.

The downside is needing to switch tuning just to populate the EPG creates a whole new class of ways to screw up! On the Foxsat HD watching the current programme vanish for 20-30sec when I want the EPG never impresses ;)

As far as the hdr concerned you can view the buffered epg without repopulating the epg at all (no tuner required). Press schedule then red. The comparison was based on pvrs with a hdd that can be used to buffer info. Can't see how a single tuner non recording (no hdd) is really relevant.

In any case from memory the HD can do the same thing.

Last edited:
Was the Pioneer using the Freeview EPG? If so then if it populated almost instantly after being switched of then it must have been stored on the hard drive.

Colin

Or enough NVRAM :D

The Topfield is quicker at loading the epg, also general channel and programme info as well, however its nowhere near as user friendly as the Humax. If you are a tinkerer you will enjoy the Topfield but you will spend a lot more time fiddling about with it than the time saved on loading the epg.

Well i have been using the dreambox for a couple of weeks now which is definitely a tinkerers box, the epg loads up instantly on freeview and using the two tuners(dvbt, dvbs) i have managed to record 7 channels at the same time, depending on the mux and transponder of course .
The humax hasn't been turned on since to record only to watch what i had on the hard drive.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom