Humax 9200T and Toshiba HD Ready TV w/ Built in Freeview

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by stuartianmac, Feb 3, 2009.

Tags:
  1. stuartianmac

stuartianmac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I recently acquired a Toshiba HD-Ready LCD TV, and connected it up to my Humax 9200T. I was shocked at how rubbish the picture quality was. It waqs better with a CRT telly. They are connected via SCART and I tried all the various modes that the TV could Humax could output (S-Video and all the rest), to no avail. The Humax does not have an HDMI-out socket. When I use the TV's inbuilt freeview decoder, the picture is perfect; pin-sharp, no blockiness. Now I have the notion that the problem is something to do with the upscaler software in the Humax as compared to that in the TV, because clearly it is standard non-HD digital being piped into a HD-ready TV. If it is this, then I guess there is absolutely nothing I can do, however I wanted to post on here to see if my evaluation is inaccurate. I contacted Humax about this and they failed to reply. Humax has latest S/W update.

Does anyone have any ideas on what can be done to sort this out, if anything?

Thanks
    Stuart

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Connect the Humax TV out socket to a fully wired 21 pin scart lead and connect the other end of this to a scart socket on your TV capable of RGB reception and ensure in the TV menu that this scart input is set to RGB.

The TV itself upscales and FREEVIEW transmissions are not HD neither from the Humax or your TV.

Your aerial connection should be in to Humax and out from Humax to TV.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  3. stuartianmac

stuartianmac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I am pretty sure I did that already. I will check the cable, but it sounds like the basis of what I have tried.

4. nvingo

nvingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    Also check the scart plug in the PVR9200 is in the socket marked TV not that marked VCR.

5. stuartianmac

stuartianmac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

The scart is in the TV socket. The signal is there, and I can watch TV fine, its just a slightly blocky, grainy picture. The colours looks OK, its just not anywhere near as sharp as with the inbuilt freeview.

6. nvingo

nvingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    Just as a test, disconnect the aerial from the TV (no really) whilst monitoring the output from the PVR, also with the aerial inserted select an analogue channel before selecting the PVR input and see if there are any dark bands or ghostly text on the image. It may be that the TV analogue tuner output is on the scart cable alongside (therefore interfering with) the signal from the PVR.

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,296
    As well as the other connections and settings mentioned, have you set the TV output on the Humax to be RGB ?

8. stuartianmac

stuartianmac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The aerial cable is plugged into the Humax, not the TV unfort

9. stuartianmac

stuartianmac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yea I tried that too. Maybe its just the upscaler and I am stuck with it?

10. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Modern TV's have independent settings for each viewing source, you probably just need to tweak the the SCART input settings. The defaults usually seem set to 'enhance' inputs, that unfortunately is more likely to 'enhance' Freeview artefacts than do any good. Anything purporting to improve the picture (vivid colour, sharpness and so on) is a candidate, try disabling those options.

Make sure you compare using the same channel, quality varies enormously across Freeview channels. Some channels are an insult to the eyes (and the content isn't good either;))