Humax 9200 wish list

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Ayrton, Dec 28, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Ayrton

Ayrton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I love the Hummy now the problems with lock ups and file loss are behind us. One of the best features is the search facility, where you can enter keywords to hunt for the programmes you are interested in over the next 7 days.

However one of the problems with this is that it is limited to 7 days. I appreciate this is a broadcast limitation rather than the box. Nevertheless, unless you actively run a search on a regular basis it is very easy to miss something you might be interested in, especially if it pops up irregularly in the schedules. For instance I would have liked to record 'The Championship' goals programme that was on yesterday, it's not normally on at that time and I never thought to look for it. Missed it. (We don't win many away and to see the goals would have been nice)

So why can't they programme some sort of long term search facility so that a pop up warning comes up when a programme fitting your criteria enters the 7-days-ahead schedule. So I programme in the words 'The Championship' into my permanent search. A week ago the programme I have just missed would have entered the list. The box could pop up and say, 'I found this, do you want me to record it?'

I know some other boxes have the option to record a series. That would be handy but is missing on the Hummy at the mo. But for me this search method would be even better, because it gives you the possibility of having the box look for programmes you might like but that in advance you don't know the exact title of.

They have added a lot of stuff over the various versions, why not this? Doesn't seem too much of a stretch. Can anyone think of a reason why it wouldn't work? How do you get them to think about it?

2. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    This is coming next year.

3. AlanSmithee

AlanSmithee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the meantime the site below might be of interest to you. I must admit that I haven't tried it myself yet but I'm guessing it could e-mail you an appropriate alert, and there is a 30 day free trial period (plus the subscription is only £9 per annum).

http://www.digiguide.com/

4. Ayrton

Ayrton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for the responses guys.

The series link will be a boon but it doesn't quite scratch my particular itch. I use the search facility often but being a bit lazy I can never be bothered to type in very much of the word I am looking for. This gives me a longer list of possible matches but I don't mind that because sometimes the results are of interest. However I have noticed that sometimes the list returned includes programs that have already been on, usually in the last 24 hours I think, and if they are of interest then too bad, I've missed them.

It just strikes me that I ought to be able to have that search on permanent stand-by.

The digi-guide looks very interesting Smithee, I might well give it a go. It might be a sledgehammer to crack a nut for my purposes but nevertheless looks useful and as you say it only costs buttons. I suspect if the wife finds out about it the trial of such a product we will be buying it. However what I am asking for here is so straightforward, there really is no reason why the box itself couldn't do it.

5. JohnON

JohnON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a simple free Freeview guide for the PC which simply highlights any selected program any time it appears in the guide. It doesn't e-mail you or anything clever but it makes programs easier to spot as you scan through the guide.
    http://freeguide-tv.sourceforge.net/index.html

John.