humax 9200 hang due to bbc?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by jonbu, Mar 27, 2006.

Tags:
  1. jonbu

jonbu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased a humax 9200 on saturday, and since then (two days!) I have had two complete hangs of the machine, requiring a power cycle to get it going again.
    I phoned the support line, and they reckon it was the fault of the BBC, by transmitting too much information on the interactive commonwealth games programmes!
    Whether the beeb is violating freeview protocols or not, in my opinion the humax device should have software robust enough to cope with this (put it this way, my digital telly never hung up when viewing lots of commonwealth games stuff prior to this purchase).

So,
    1. Did any users of any pvrs see lots of hang ups this weekend (whether humax, topfield or whatever)?
    2. does anyone who knows about freeview broadcasting think the beeb were doing something screwy?
    3. should I just return the humax as not fit for purpose and get a topfield or something?

Thanks.

2. Bat-man

Bat-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Not on my Digifusion 200
    All different channels so shouldn't cause problems.
    Yes.

3. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    The 9200 has had these sorts of lockups on various channels for the last 5 months, Humax have finally 'noticed' the MHEG engine is broken because the BBC are triggering the bug pretty reliably (every day for some of us). We're an estimated 3 months away from any sort of update and on past experience it would be optimistic to expect them to hit that target and actually fix the bug.

Send it back, the Topfield can at least disable MHEG.

4. Chrismb

Chrismb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just waiting for delivery of a Humax.. ah well... Funny thing is, I did get my TV to lock up using BBC interactive at the weekend with CW games a number of times (Once and then the rest to test). Just pressed i (information) while using interactive and the picture locked up. Needed switching off and back on again to clear. TV is Tosh 37WLT58.

5. cheesyboofs

cheesyboofs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a great bunch you guys are.

Unfortunately I have just purchased a PVR-9200T and it is locking up once a day, the box is only a week old. So I came on here and thanks to this post got strait on to Humax Tech-Support and said look I've just bought this box and it’s locking up daily. I have been on the AVForums and it would appear its something you know about? Apparently it’s something to do with MHEG. I said is a fix coming VERY soon or do I take it back to John Lewis? He said no don't take it back we have a BETA release fix that we are testing right now as this fault is the highest priority and the fix should be released with-in the next two weeks!!!!

So I don't know now, it really is a great product but I ain't going to be made a fool of.

6. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    That's just BS from Humax. We're currently on beta4, beta1 was in Dec2005 and not one fix has been released from any of the monthly betas to date. You should read this thread http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=357232 and notice it doesn't fix the MHEG bug and is so buggy it cannot be released to normal customers.

Humax have in fact only just started work on fixing it, a difficult job since they didn't write the MHEG engine and not helped by failing to find the cockup when it also happened on ITV,C4&Five at various times in the last 5 months!

Call Humax back and get a firm date for a fix backed by compensation when (not if) they miss it. Do it while its still easy to return the box. At an absolute minimum get a guarantee you'll receive beta firmware.

7. tringa

tringa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my box since January and it has been perfect... until the last 3-4 days when it has started locking up regularly; usually exactly on the hour or half hour (not every hour you understand, just always happens at an hour change).

Spoke to Humax, bloke rather wearily gave me the same tale about BBCi and the Commonwealth Games. A fix in 2-3 weeks etc etc.

It is interesting that it has only just started to happen though, so maybe there is some truth in what they say... or maybe not. :rolleyes:

8. cheesyboofs

cheesyboofs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm starting to get a picture of what a bunch of retards these people are, I mean, why can't they disable some of these offending features until they get them fixed, at least we would have stable TV. I tell ya its ironic, the only reason I went Freeview was because my hookie N*T box kept getting nuked, so I though I'd go straight and get a Freeview box, but I wanted one that wouldn't be obsolete in three months time…. I wish I hadn't bothered! Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

9. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    The MHEG explanation is true. And it hasn't just started, its just much worse *this time*. They didn't take the same bug seriously months ago because it didn't crash boxes every day, it looked like only a few people being affected so they just left them to suffer.

The 2-3 weeks claim... they don't have an OTA slot booked and aren't likely to get one in a hurry. Only people with PC's+the right lead+internet access and looking in the right place could possibly install a fix that quickly. They've deliberately leaked 'update in a few weeks' messages since Nov2005 without ever delivering one and they've messed up the current test version so badly it can't be released. I find it impossible to believe these cowboys could get a fix together and properly tested that quickly, they've had five months to fix known bugs, yet not bothered to deal with even the trivial ones or actually cocked the fixes up.

10. cheesyboofs

cheesyboofs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tell ya I’m really quite furious, my Pace N*L box use to freeze coz it use to over heat, I had to run it with the lid off. My girl friends Sky box locks occasionally plus she has a £50 freeview box where the sound constantly cuts out (picture perfect) so I though I’d splash out on an expensive freeview box so wouldn’t get moaned at, why’s it done this why’s it done that!
    When I think how much I HAVE to pay by law in TV license, and now they say you must go digital coz were turning off analog in 2007 ………. Oh don’t get me started, even if I take this thing back to John Lewis what else is there…..needle craft!

11. thxultra

thxultra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My Mums box has worked perfectly for 6 months until the last week when it has lock up a few times so there would seem to be some truth in their excuse

12. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,188
    Same thing here. My 9200t has been fine for 4 months or so, as in perfect, but the last week i get the odd freeze on BBC 1 (maybe 2 as well?) which seems linked to any BBC programm with the "red button" for interactive stuff.

Apparently the previous MHEG issue with ITV got a partial fix by people complaining to ITV, who did something their end, and the current MHEG issue and BBC interactive isnt limited to only the 9200t, with owners of other boxes reporting similar freezes. Guess all we can do is complain and suck it down, or swap to something else.

13. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Same here, didn't lock up for weeks and now its daily.:lease:

14. Chrismb

Chrismb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm now really looking forward to receiving mine in the next couple of days:(

15. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    This is an exact replay of the great Topfield MHEG crisis of I think it was about last August. They did manage to fix the problems and in the mean time they released the disable feature; mentioned above (I am still using it; just because I hate interactive). These boxes are actually very similar so Humax should be able to fix it.

16. Smith2004

Smith2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I've had my 9200t since mid December and only had one lock-up, but since the weekend its been locking-up at least once a day.

17. Jimali

Jimali

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only received my 9200 on Friday but have already experienced this problem. I emailed Humax support and here's the response I got today....standard guff I suspect?

"The customer service department has been inundated with queries such as yours over the past couple of days regarding the freezing of the PVR9200T.I shall give you brief explanation of what is happening . The interactive MHEG engine on your PVR has been causing software conflicts mainly caused by the interactive content of the commonwealth games . We have been communicating with the BBC and have a software update coming out in the next few weeks to rectify this."

18. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Someone over on Digital Spy may have discovered a kind of workround until Humax come up with a solution.
    Basically dont watch any BBC channels live; but you can record them. Do not know if this works (I do not have a Humax) but it sounds very similar to the workround that was used on the Topfield last year when it had a similar BBC MHEG related lock up problems. On the Topfield you could use chaseplay instead of watching live. Watching via a recording might have the same effect.

19. Chrismb

Chrismb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is everybodys 9200 freezing using bbc? I have just had mine delivered today and will set it up when I get back from work and see because if it is then it's going staight back, as the John Lewis next to where I work has 2 FVRT200's in stock.
    Does anybody use a 9200 with an integrated DTV so you only record from it rather than watch live freeview through it?

20. ctid123

ctid123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just got back from 4 days on the road and found my box hung for the 4th time in 3 weeks I was suitably unimpressed to also find that the hang also hits all functions and timed program recording is also lost so all of the tv I had programmed to record over last few days are lost.

I am away for next week and having read these threads I have been wondering whether the following will work to avoid losing programmed recordings: if the hang is due to MHEG information can I avoid that by leaving the HUMAX set to receive RADIO while I am away ? Will digital radio channels also pull in MHEG and cause the box to hang ?

Perhaps I should simply ask.....are there ANY standby states that I can leave the 9200T in that will avoid this issue or do I have to go back to programming my old Sony VHS with Video Plus when I am away next week ?:mad:

21. Damon

Damon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You can set it to power on and off at whatever time you like every day and also to a specific channel but avoid BBC. I have mine set for 5:30 pm (now on itV not BBC due to locking up) to get the epg by the time I get in and switch off at 1:30am in case I leave it switched on. But it should go on and off depending on your timed settings though. You know don't have to leave it switched on for it to record your schedule just set it and then hit the power on your remote, it won't even come fully on to record them.

22. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,310
    Sadly, I suspect that, having chosen this particular machine (instead of, say a Topfield or Fusion model) then if something is really important to you, back to your VCR (as a backup) it is.........

You could probably also minimise the risk by using a plug-in timer to cycle power on it each night, say, at an unimportant time.

23. ctid123

ctid123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Humax Tech called me back this afternoon. He claims that they will have a fix on their site next week. I know others have heard that before.

He said I could leave the machine in standby and that SHOULD avoid the MHEG issue.

Next week I think I will double up with the VHS and acquire a timer switch to reset the box with....great idea...although sad that it is needed !

24. kjp6uk3

kjp6uk3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I bought my Mum a Humax 9200 in January for her 70th birthday - she told me that it has been hanging up 2 or 3 times a day recently after performing (reasonably) faultlessly before (only the occasional lock-up previously).

I looked at the mess of a Humax download section and saw that they have not done any updates since Oct 2005.

Is it better to wait and do an over-the-air update whenever/if it is released? Or to do it via a PC?

From the reviews before I bought this machine, I was hoping for a much better, reliable product than has been delivered by Humax. I would not recommend this PVR at the moment until it is 100% reliable. Locking up several times a week is not acceptable.

Cheers

Kevin

25. jchm

jchm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'm surprised by this thread. My 9200 remains perfect and has never frozen or locked in the 3 months I have had it. :confused:

26. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Please DONT DO THIS. All radio channels feature MHEG and its been reported causing problems since the machine launched (as did BB4 and some of the games ITV&C4 played launching their new channels, reports Humax seem to have ignored). In the short term leaving it on five seems safe, theres no MHEG. Standby should work but it breaks radio recordings and can cause clipping of the start of programmes, test it first.

Humax are claiming Mar 31, personally I suspect an April fools trick.

27. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    You want this fix as soon as possible, its going to be weeks till they get an OTA slot and the crashes haven't stopped with the end of the commonwealth games so its unlikely to get better. Its likely this bug caused several previous spates of crashes on other channels and obviously it could happen again.

28. Mike Austin

Mike Austin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How is that going to work? Can you predict when it will hang up? What about when you are using it?

I got mine in November and had just one hang shortly after installing the update. It has worked perfectly OK until a couple of weeks ago when it hung 4 times in 48 hours (once when it was on standby, I think).

29. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,310
    It doesn't know when a hang-up is going to happen and it won't magically prevent them.

What it will do, though, is reset the machine (let's say) daily at 0400 (or some such) so that yesterday's hang up doesn't affect today's recordings.

And, just possibly, if the hang-ups are in part precipitated by memory leakage (a common failing in computers generally) then cycling power regularly may just possibly reduce their likelihood.

30. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    My Hummie hung 3 times yesterday! Humax seriously want to get this fixed ASAP! :mad:

Here's hoping that tomorrow a fix really is released!

Gavin