Humax 9200 and the future of PVR's...

N

nickbrace

Hi all,

Reading through these threads lately its a wonder why anyone bothers with the PVR's......so I wondered to myself - am I the only one who loves there 9200 and have had barely any problems??

I've had 2 occasions when the machines crashes and I have to reboot, other than this its been perfect - these times were using radio and interactive when the Olympics were on. I love the menu's (viewing of more than 4 channels data would be nice yeh), I think its easy to use, Humax support phone number has been first class (unlike Panasonic and other major manufacturers!) and I personally think its great value for money!!!

I was wondering...............when do you lot think a PVR will be released that can record from 'external sources', ie - satellite receiver?? Thought there would be people who know the 'market' alot better than me and when things get released - it would just be nice to have some idea of when this might happen, ie - coming months, 2007, etc???

When I was on the phone to Humax the other day I asked them about a machine that could record from external sources and they said one was in the R&D phase but has been put on hold 'for now'.....?! Maybe this just means they dont want to release it until other products have been released first!

Dune

nickbrace said:
Hi all,

Reading through these threads lately its a wonder why anyone bothers with the PVR's......so I wondered to myself - am I the only one who loves there 9200 and have had barely any problems??
I don't have any issues with mine but I have not had it very long. It seems to do what it says on the tin and is quiet. The EPG is a big step up form the rubbish on my old Thomson 2300. Now that really was a useless bit of kit.

Dave

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Recording from external sources: You can either buy a used TiVo or you can buy a HDD-DVD recorder. Both of these will serve the purpose of acting like a PVR for an external source. You can even get machines that will set timers and change channels on the slave satellite box. And the HDD-DVD option comes with the added bonus of being able to save off anything you want to keep. Oh - and you can play 5 inch discs on it.

As for two crashes - that's two to many. Sorry, but I personally don't consider it satisfactory if a machine cannot, with 100% reliability, perform its primary function. So I'd find it hard to attribute the word "perfect" to something with a fundamental failing.

N

nickbrace

LV426 said:
Recording from external sources: You can either buy a used TiVo or you can buy a HDD-DVD recorder. Both of these will serve the purpose of acting like a PVR for an external source. You can even get machines that will set timers and change channels on the slave satellite box. And the HDD-DVD option comes with the added bonus of being able to save off anything you want to keep. Oh - and you can play 5 inch discs on it.

As for two crashes - that's two to many. Sorry, but I personally don't consider it satisfactory if a machine cannot, with 100% reliability, perform its primary function. So I'd find it hard to attribute the word "perfect" to something with a fundamental failing.
I guess you are right about the 2 crashes but I have never had a product that did nothing wrong.......just some more than others!

I realise you can get HDD-DVD recorders that can record from external sources as you never understand why I want just one machine to do everything :D I am probably going to get the Panasonic EH-60 as it does everything BUT its got a single tuner...........so I thought before buying it I would see what people think about when PVR's with external source recording might come on the market.....

One unfortunate aspect of a DVD-HDD Recorder is the cost - the Panasonic for instance is £400.......my Humax 9200 cost £229 and I doubt once they add external recording that it would go as far as £400?!

K

kennyd

"As for two crashes - that's two to many. Sorry, but I personally don't consider it satisfactory if a machine cannot, with 100% reliability, perform its primary function."

Well I know what you mean but the point was surely about overstating issues and thereby giving a misleading impression about a machine (interesting that so many private individuals, just like professional journos, favour drama over accuaracy).

I'm no engineer but I doubt any machine is 100% reliable. Certainly the PC you wrote your note will be less than 100% yet you still find it useful. And if I could sell you a machine for predicting lottery results I bet you'd be delighted even it had only .01% reliability! So how reliable does a PVR need to be before its stops being worth having?

N

nickbrace

So back to the thread and what is was mainly about........when does everybody think a PVR might be released that can record from external sources??

I wish I had never mentioned my '2' crashes now as all the replies are focusing on that.........there are soooooo many posts moaning about PVR's and I didnt want this to be one of them.

K

kennyd

Switching is the issue. Your PVR can't easily change channels on someone elses box.

TiVo does it using an IFR transmitter. The codes for driving different boxes are kept up to date by techie user groups and made available over the net.

I expect other manufacturers are shy of the complexity and costs in matching this kind of self help effort and will wait on a common standard emerging.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
nickbrace said:
when does everybody think a PVR might be released that can record from external sources...
To which the answer is - depending on what, exactly, you mean by "PVR" they exist now and have done for several years.

Why do you keep asking pretty much the same question over and over again in new threads? Do you hope that, by doing so, someone will magically conjure up the device you want?

If, so, allow me to oblige. Build yourself a Home Theatre PC and you can equip it with whatever cards and tuners you want, and whatever software you want, and it will do everything you want it to.

N

nickbrace

LV426 said:
To which the answer is - depending on what, exactly, you mean by "PVR" they exist now and have done for several years.

Why do you keep asking pretty much the same question over and over again in new threads? Do you hope that, by doing so, someone will magically conjure up the device you want?

If, so, allow me to oblige. Build yourself a Home Theatre PC and you can equip it with whatever cards and tuners you want, and whatever software you want, and it will do everything you want it to.
I have never asked about the future of Humax 9200 machines, I have though discussed HDD/DVD Recorders in detail - if you want me to explain the difference to you then just let me know.....likewise if my posts are boring you then just ignore me :D

Also - I have found the device I want, its called a EH-60 Panasonic HDD/DVD Recorder.........as I said though, this subject was completely different as its about 'PVR's'...

rhubarbe

Banned
You need a ReelBox, Nick. Lots of people on here like dissing it but the fact remains that it is the only thing that even attempts to do all thet you (and I) want in a PVR.

Take a look:

www.reelbox.co.uk and bear in mind that the DVB-T tuners are not here yet but are imminent, and the software, thoug still in development, works for most basic functions.

ReelBox Lite is £549. Ignore Avantgarde at £850, you don't need that.

N

nickbrace

rhubarbe said:
You need a ReelBox, Nick. Lots of people on here like dissing it but the fact remains that it is the only thing that even attempts to do all thet you (and I) want in a PVR.

Take a look:

www.reelbox.co.uk and bear in mind that the DVB-T tuners are not here yet but are imminent, and the software, thoug still in development, works for most basic functions.

thanks bud - I will check it out. I really appreciate you trying to help :thumbsup:

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Indeed. But then you've already had exactly that answer somewhere else.

Here, in fact. I suppose you had good reason to ignore it then.

I

in2deep

nickbrace said:
So back to the thread and what is was mainly about........when does everybody think a PVR might be released that can record from external sources??

I wish I had never mentioned my '2' crashes now as all the replies are focusing on that.........there are soooooo many posts moaning about PVR's and I didnt want this to be one of them.
My Topfield has been 100% perfect in the 2 weeks I've had it :)rolleyes: ), and I'm very happy with it, especially the ability to record 2 things simultaneously and watch a 3rd thing.

It would be the icing on the cake if it could record through the scart sockets, and maybe it'll come. In the meantime, there are plenty of devices that will do that very thing, as you've no doubt seen.

(Trying to keep a positive flow going here.....;) )

Of course, you can build a PC with Media Center if desired, complete with digital tuner, big hard disk and so on, which many have done - I'm even experimenting with such a setup myself.

Moaning is the British disease, so nothing to worry about - people love to complain, and sometimes it makes the products better for the rest of us! :D

There, all +ve ..... :smashin:

N

nickbrace

LV426 said:
Indeed. But then you've already had exactly that answer somewhere else.

Here, in fact. I suppose you had good reason to ignore it then.
:boring:

N

nickbrace

:smashin:
in2deep said:
My Topfield has been 100% perfect in the 2 weeks I've had it :)rolleyes: ), and I'm very happy with it, especially the ability to record 2 things simultaneously and watch a 3rd thing.

It would be the icing on the cake if it could record through the scart sockets, and maybe it'll come. In the meantime, there are plenty of devices that will do that very thing, as you've no doubt seen.

(Trying to keep a positive flow going here.....;) )

Of course, you can build a PC with Media Center if desired, complete with digital tuner, big hard disk and so on, which many have done - I'm even experimenting with such a setup myself.

Moaning is the British disease, so nothing to worry about - people love to complain, and sometimes it makes the products better for the rest of us! :D

There, all smashin:
I have read good things about the Topfield!

Tell me about it - I grew up in the States (British though) and I still struggle sometimes with the constant moaning and groaning - thats what I meant by my earlier post :rolleyes:

I appreciate the positive post bud :D :smashin:

N

nickbrace

rhubarbe said:

Take a look:

I had a look and its impressive......BUT more money than I want to spend - unless I could get one thats a few months old, etc on eBay but I checked and there were none - although a few in Germany........is it a German company??

rhubarbe

Banned
Yes, it is a German company but if you buy one from germany you'll have to send it back to germany for repair (it has a 3 year warranty) because the UK distributor isn't going to want to honour warranty on a box he's not sold.

Also, the software that is being developed in the UK for the box won't run on non-UK boxes (this may change in future), so I should buy a UK box.

£549 a lot of mone? Yes, of course, but work out what a similar specced HTPC would cost, then tear up this sums and work out what a completely silent HTPC would cost because a noisy PC under your TV will have only negative WAF.

How much is a decent twin channel PVR and a DVD recorder? And you'll still have analog on the DVD.

I've done the maths for what would have been HTPC MKIV and I get it to £650+

My Typing is appalling this morning.

Cyril

Novice Member
rhubarbe said:
I've done the maths for what would have been HTPC MKIV and I get it to £650+
Yes, a decent quiet and twin-tuner Windows Media Centre is still 900 quid upwards. For non-PVR reasons (i.e. my job) I will be getting Vista when it comes out, so I willl probably be using that along with TiVo for my PVR needs by the end of the year. TiVo will handle SD and Vista/Xbox 360s will do my HD.
The comparitively low-ish price means a reelbox will also be on my shopping list, though I think it will be quite a few years before it can replace one of my TiVos. A very useful add-on nevertheless. Hopefully a more powerful HD 1080p capable box will be out by then :)

rhubarbe

Banned
That's the beauty of the ReelBox: you just pull out the NIMs and replace them with HD NIMs as and when they are avialable. Similarly with the DVD; Blu-Ray or DVD-HD, or whatever in the future, you just take out the drive you don't want in there any more and replace it with one that you do.

I believe that you will even be able to replace the main board with the Avantgarde board so you don't have to stump up the £850 for the Avantgarde just the cost of the main board. Add more memory, bigger HDD.... There is even room insdide the case for two HDDs (though not the IDE connector for it).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom