1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humax 8000T vs Thomson 4000

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by sambobo, Sep 5, 2005.

Tags:
  1. sambobo

sambobo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi, i want a cheap pvr and im torn between the humax 8000 (for £130) or the Thomson 4000 (for £150). the humax seems like the most reliable PVR but that seems to be only because it has such basic features (can you even watch a preveous recording while making a new one with the humax?) on the plus side it is supposed to be very cool and quite.

the thomson however seems to have pretty much every feature i could ever want from a pvr but seems to have a few bugs (the yellow light of death to be the most concering) and seems to be very noisy and hot.

what would anyone recommend between these two, ive looked at the sagem and fusion boxes but they also seem to be buggy or noisy and seem to lack certain features.

what are peoples experiences withe the humax and thomson (spec the thomson as the humax has been covered on this forum many times)

thanks

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Tech support on the thomson is non existent. I have contacted them several times about buggy software and all I ever get is an automated response.
    As a system it's not bad. Most of the time it's stable and I haven't lost a recording yet. The picture is good. Features are good and it's easy to upgrade. It can be a bit noisy. Would I buy another one? No. Purely for the fact that the Tech support is worse than useless.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    My Humax has been 100% reliable in the three or so months I've had it; more than I can say for either the Pace Twin I had or Panasonic machines I tried briefly.

Yes it's basic. To a degree, it's limitations are similar to those of a VCR - and we lived with those for years...... Perhaps it's its simplicity that gives it its reliability.

4. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,276
    I can echo those comments about the Humax.

Mine was an upgrade from a VCR. The ability to pause Live TV, record for hours on end and playback with no loss of quality, I'm well chuffed.

OK, next i'll want twin tuners and a bigger HD but for what Humax does, it does very well. :thumbsup:

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Something that's often overlooked and VERY handy is your good old fron panel LED display that at lest showw the channel number you are on.
    The Humax has this, the Thompson doesn't and was one of the crucial factors that swayed me towards the Humax. It's barmy for a PVR NOT to have one and Thompson is one of the few that doesn't!

6. Spanglemaker

Spanglemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I went through the same choice 4 or 5 months ago. In the end I went for the Humax. The ability to watch a previously recorded prog whilst recording another wasn't a show-stopper for me as I also have a freeview box and DVD/HD recorder - just needs a little advanced planning.

Plus points for the Humax:
    Larger hard disk
    Reasonably bug-free, never missed a recording
    Grid-style EPG
    Quiet
    Looks and feels well-built

Drawbacks
    Can't watch previous recorded prog whilst recording another
    When watching currently recording prog, playback stops when the recording stops and have to find position again
    EPG not always fully populated

All depends on what is important to you.

If I was buying now I'd probably wait a while for the new Humax dual tuner 9200, I believe it was advertised on QED for about £180 which isn't too much above your budget.

Chris