1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HUMAX 8000T / 80gb

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by chumhill, Jan 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. chumhill

chumhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am having great difficulty tuning my existing sky box into my Humax PVR. Im trying to set a free channel to display what is on the existing sky box. The signal is going through and RF cable not scart into the PVR. I can usually pick the sky up on channel 38 but cannot manage to do it on the HUMAX. Please help

Thanks
    Ashley

2. rooster-x

rooster-x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The Humax will only be able to display Sky if you connect it via scart. Won't work through RF modulator as it doesn't have an analogue reciever. Note the Humax cannot record from Sky or any other external sources, just its own freeview signal.

3. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    The sky rf signal that you are sending into the Humax is analogue, the Humax will only decode and display digital rf signals.

Good lateral thinking though. :cool:

4. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys....and a happy new year to you all.

Rather than start a new thread about this Humax model, I hope you don't mind me jumping in here with a question. I am thinking about getting the 80g Humax to replace an old vcr that has just expired and I was wondering if it is possible to record archived stuff from the Humax to, say, a dvd recorder via the scarts? I can't see any reason why not but one of you may know different. If it can be done, is it just a matter of connecting the two by a scart lead and picking the imput on the dvd recorder and away you go? Just as you can from a dvd/vcr player? Hope so.

5. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Yes, it should be as simple as that.

The main scart gives out RGB as best quality and the VCR scart gives out s-video as best quality.

Just one note, some people reported that after a recent firmware upgrade, some recordings initially play back in mono. This is sorted by pressing the audio button, I think. A search through the threads should reveal the answer.

6. forrestgump

forrestgump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    firmware upgrade?????????where from IKKI?

7. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Either OTA (over the air), but I am not sure when the next is, or by cable from a PC. The frimware is available on the Humax site (Humax support).

I would expect a new 8000T to be up to date though.

8. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. Just one more thing; As this Humax is to replace an old vcr, which would be the best way to set it up. At the moment, the ariel signal goes into my cable box and from there to a signal booster which sends it 3 ways, one of which is to my plasma via a dvd recorder and 2 vcr's. With the Humax having freeview digi channels would it be better to have it plug in elsewhere? I still want to put it in line with the rest of my stuff but as I understand it I won't be able to record from my cable box onto the Humax. Maybe the best bet is to keep them seperate. Or is there an alternative out there to the Humax? Whichever, that old vcr is getting replaced.

9. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Give the Humax the best signal you can, so connect the aerial feed directly to the Humax, then on to everything else. The only exception would be if the Humax performance is improved by a booster. (A side effect will be that everything else with a UHF tuner will be able to receive the RF output from the Humax.)

10. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I could hook it up like this:

Aerial into the Humax then into the Telewest cable box and then the signal booster. The signal will be split 3 ways, one of which will go thru' a dvd recorder and a vcr to the tv. I won't be able to record cable on the Humax but the signal will still pass thru' to be recorded on dvdr/vcr. Mmmm.

Is there a pvr out there that acts just like a vcr?

11. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    You are trying to get enough signal strength and more importantly, good signal quality, try out different setups to see which gives the best performance. As long as these two factors are satisfied, it doesn't matter which order the devices are in for the RF feed from the aerial.

There are no Freeview tuner equipped pvrs that record from external sources. Someone, it may be Samsung or LG makes a vcr with a Freeview tuner and I think that Sony make a DVD recorder with Freeview tuner. I would expect to see HDD/DVD recorders with Freeview tuner and external recording facilities during this year.

12. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    By all means try different setups as Ikki suggests, but the further down the rf chain you connect it the greater the risk of signal degradation, intermodulation products, additional noise and interference.

13. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    maldonian

I'm sure that non-expert viewers of this thread would welcome definitions of the terms used in your post:

An explanation of how the order of the units that the RF signal passes through between the aerial and the tv may lead to generation of these phenomena (particularly with reference to the placement of the Humax box in this chain), would also be illuminating. :)

14. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Dear Ikki

You seem rather unwilling to accept what I have already said, so it seems unlikely you're going to accept anything else I add to it. In which case I suggest you take a look at the Digital TV Group booklet R book 2 (Installing Digital Terrestrial Television - Domestic Systems), which can be dowloaded in PDF from the DTG website (search for DTG R Book 2 in Google). In section 4.1 you will see the following recommendation:

"the following guidelines should be used where possible:" ... "install the DTT receiver at the front of any chain of devices fed by RF loop-through. This will avoid any loss or degradation of the signals that may be introduced by other equipment (see Figure 4.1)."

This is what I advised in my earlier posts.

Another guideline in the same section is: "make the best possible use of SCART connections to minimise the number of RF loop-through connections".

The basic problem at the moment is that the DTT signals are much weaker than the analogue signals, and in a typical situation some multiplexes will be even weaker than others. Strong DTT signals are going to be accompanied by much stronger analogue signals that can produce intermodulation products in any amplifiers they pass through (including any loop through buffer amplifiers). Plus each modulator in the RF chain adds another strong analogue signal to the mix. Weak DTT signals are particularly susceptible to some forms of interference. An electric motor can produce a band of white dots on an analogue picture, but you can still see the picture, the same interference will wipe out a DTT picture. I have seen recommendations that you should use a single length of low loss double screened coax all the way from the aerial to the input of the DTT receiver, if possible, to minimise interference, but the DTG booklet says screened wallplates are ok. If the signals are weak a mast-head amplifier may be needed to overcome cable losses.

Oh, and just for the record, distortion in an amlifier will degrade the signals passing through it, intermodulation products are extra signals that are produced when 2 or more signals pass through a non-linear circuit - amplifiers become increasingly non-linear as the signal get stronger, noise is the snow you used to see on a TV with no signal (modern TVs blank the picture when there is no signal) - some noise comes from the aerial but amplifiers add more, and interference - well I'm sure I don't need to explain what interference is - it can be picked up by the aerial and also by the downlead, and mains-born interference might picked up in any equipment the signals pass through.

Regards, Ian

15. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Maldonian, Calm down, I'm not arguing with what you are saying.

It was just a gentle hint that many of the individuals that come to these forums looking for advice will not understand the jargon that you are using. Anything for a general audience is best written in easy to understand language. It's not a criticism, we are all guilty of it from time to time. Help and advice for those enquiring is always welcome. :)