Humax 8000T 80Gb now available

AOD

Established Member
Reaction score
Ordered mine weeks ago from 247electrical and am still waiting, been told stock arriving on the 22nd :(

seems promosing :devil:

by the way can someone tell me if the 8000t has composite video out?

oxygenuk said:
seems promosing :devil:

by the way can someone tell me if the 8000t has composite video out?

I'll check mine (it arrived Friday afternoon) in the morning and let you know.

Composite is an option on the VCR scart, there may also be a dedicated composite output but I'll check.

Initial impressions are favourable, seems reasonably intuitive and managed to set some programs to record without even opening the manual. Always a good sign. :smashin:

First not so great feature, if you have a schedule of programs set to record and the unit loses power or is completely powered down (eg unplugged) then you lose the entire recording schedule. Duh! Why not just dump a copy of the schedule to the hard drive??

Something tells me that this is probably a known issue for this box, off to check out the various threads now.

UPDATE: Yes it does have a dedicated Composite output. It shows this on the quick setup sheet.

So there's no other differences between this and the 40GB version?

I had bought a 40GB last week, but its going back under the 14-day return, and i'll get an 80GB for cheaper apparently! Good spotting and informing us AOD :smashin:

No other differences that I'm aware of. It seems identical, just with the benefit of a bigger hard drive.

Does this 80gb model have a twin tuner?

IE. so you can watch one channel while recording another?

The 80 gig version of the PVR 8000T does not have a second tuner. Aside from the hard drive size it is identical in terms of hardware to the 40 gig model and therefore you can only watch what you're recording.

Not an issue for us, but it may be for some. To be honest at the price, it didn't bother me one bit.

It would be nice if you could playback a recording at the same time as recording something else, but they should really focus on getting the core functionality working well before attempting to add such features.

The latest software seems to be reasonably stable, but still with some quirks.

The major one I'm experiencing at present is a corruption to *all* scheduled recordings made when the unit is on standby. EG Leave unit on standby, it turns on automatically to record and then goes back to standby when finished.

Playback a recording and 4mins in without fail, it skips and jumps forward by a minute or so, as though the bitstream has become temporarily garbled. This has now been observed on at least half a dozen recordings. If you leave the unit on and it starts a scheduled recording, it seems to be fine.

Having spoken with Humax they were not previously aware of this issue (but they are now :) ) and they've asked me to try a couple of things to see if it makes a difference.

I am new to the forum and found you while checking out this unit. My interest is in the higher Freeview transmission rates for DAB radio stations. My plan is to connect the receiver to my active hifi speakers (B&O Pentas) and wonder if I can record radio broadcasts and perhaps even CD's, maybe that last one is asking too much!

Appreciate any info.

Thanks

Michael

I bought an old stock 4Ogb model for £89 from QVC yesterday. The only problem I currently have with it is it has an older s/w version and so can't record the radio.

So, does anybody know when the next lot of ota updates will be broadcast?

The new software is out, version 2, just go into the menu and tell it to do an update.

thudspud said:
The new software is out, version 2, just go into the menu and tell it to do an update.

NO!

Do not do this.

The version 2 software is an update that was wrongly posted by another manufacturer. If you try and apply this update to your Humax the results will not be pretty.

I would suggest an email to Humax technical support (can't recall it off the top of my head) asking when the next version will be broadcast OTA.

Napoleon, how exactly did you get the humax for £89? I went to the www.qvc.co.uk website but couldn't find the humax anywhere. I'm looking to get a freeview pvr ideally with twin tuners but am willing to go for the humax at that price.

QVC sold out there next stock supply, so it will probably be after Christmas before they have any more. I think they were selling them for about £160 but payments over 2 months.

Well I have just been given a Maxtor Diamond Mas Plus 9 200GB and a Seagate Barracuda 160GB to try out, will let you know my results!

We have a QVC shop in Shrewsbury.

I think, but don't know for sure, that it only sells old stock, returns and products that were not popular/never made the grade. Anyhow, a few of us bagged some for £89 per unit. A couple of guys couldn't make their mind up. After we had endlessly raved on, for a couple of days, about our purchase they decided to return to the store and buy, only to be told that they were now £129.

What ever it is they have sold me, I'm more than happy with it and will be even more so if the 120GB maxtor conversion is a success.

My only dilemma is whether to upgrade from v11 of the software. I really would like to be able to record radio broadcasts but I have other, less convenient, options for that. Therefore, I'm not sure that the bugs/problems that would appear to get introduced by upgrading to a later software version make the process worth while.

:clap: The 80GB version is in stock today at www.qed-uk.com for 139GBP incl delivery.
Ordered mine 3/11/04, arrived 6/11/04. 1st impressions, ...its fantastic!

Got mine from QED for £139 too, but they've been and put the price up! They now want £20 more.

Mind you it's still good value, records beautifully. Well impressed.

Crips

Bought one today for £155 incl p+p Hughes online if anyones looking for one. John Lewis are £180.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom