1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humax 8000 pvr

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by GCDB, Jan 24, 2005.

Tags:
  1. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi
    I am thinking of getting the humax 8000 pvr.I only need a single tuner as i have a basic sky box as well.Anyone know a good price from a good on line dealer?
    Also what do people think of it, and are there any downsides of it?

2. spm

spm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  3. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone got any input on the humax 8000 or experiance of buying from qed?

4. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    must be rubbish then if no one got one

5. spm

spm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've got one and consider it very good. It only has one tuner which is a disadvantage in comparison with other pvr's. I bought it as it was the cheapest pvr I could find and has an optical ouput which is useful for mini disc recordings (radio). From reading other forums the EPG guide is perhaps more friendly than some others but it is only 7/8 days while I think you can get 14 days now on the Fusion.

I stand to be corrected but I think some of the other pvrs have limited upgrade in as much as they only recognise up to about 140 gig whereas I understand people have put 300 gig without problems in the Humax. There is lots of info around if you search either on this forum or forums on www.digitalspy.co.uk or www.radioandtelly.co.uk

I'm pleased with mine but a second tuner was not important to me and I've never tried the other pvr's that are on offer.

6. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for replying, i thought i was talking to myself :p
    Anyone else recommend the humax?

7. ivanwilson

ivanwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I do - as do loads of others on similar threads ;)

8. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    I've got one, with the 20G HD that is.

My first purchase of this kind and I think it's great.

Ok it has it's limitations (single tuner, can't watch one channel record another etc etc) not that theres that much on tv anyway.

I love the fact that recordings are virtually identical to the original broadcast (on my smallish 29" tv anyway)

It's also great in the fact that it automatically records the channel your on (buffer size is about an hour i think) so if you nip to the loo whilst Match of the day is on you can just zip it back if you've missed a goal :)

9. martin.s

martin.s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had mine around six months now and would not be able to live without it now. Fantastic piece of kit and could not be easier to use (as long as you completely disregard everything in the manual) as this is not very clear at all. Have had to reboot a few times for a few quirky probs but you dont lose any data. PS I personally think it is a nice looking piece of equipment too! PPS I got mine off DABS site next day geat service for £145 40gig but theyre probably cheaper now, go get one!!!!

10. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    GCDB, did you know that you can do a search for threads on your desired topic? Just click on the search button at the top of the page and enter your key words. There is lots of info on the PVR8000t to be had. :zonked:

n.b. Only buy from DABS if you are prepared to only contact them by email - what ever the reason. :mad:

11. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,337
    Ha ha! Yeah when i was re-wiring the lounge i got a bollacking from the woman because i told her to record something on the VCR (tape), as the Humax wasnt hooked back in.

But yes there are a number of owners about, i have a 8000T 80GB, a workmate has the 40GB. He finds it excellent as he cant get a decent normal TV signal (he's by Docklands, London) but the Humax gives him all channels well. I like the quality playback, and really could not go back to tape.

As said it isnt perfect - single tuner, ergonomics could be better in menus etc - but for the price it is astonishing. Some people have bought two, as that way you get two tuners for less than some other PVRs!

12. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    went to bed early last night(newborn in house!)hence also reason for getting pvr,so just read all replies and thanks for input.I have done a search on humax and read it all and been on humaxdigital to read specs but that dont say what oair updates have improved the box.Will probably order one from qed this weekend.Anyone hooked the rf outlet to a 2nd tv though? I was looking at satcure?.com to provide remote control from the bedroom through tvlink+.This 2nd tv is a must though as i cant afford two humax 8000.

13. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    I had one but had a problem with it so it went back. It's a problem that others have reported on the forum. The signal strength was around 80% and signal quality - most of the time was 100% but then and for no apparent reason the signal quality would drop to zero or 10% and I'd lose the picture entirely for a few minutes. This happened every time I used it without exception and on every recording.
    The Humax help line had me manualy retuning it and removing all equipment daisy chained on the Rf upstream of the Humax, all to no avail. There's a thread all about this on this sight titled, if I remember rightly, Humax and ITV2. No one seems to have found a solution. Others report that humax told them that this is a known fault on a minority of the machines but they didn't say that to me.
    It's a shame because whilst it was working the picture quality was terrific and I did like the way it operated.
    I'd suggest that if you do buy one hang on to the packaging and be prepared to return it pronto if you have the same problm.

14. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    While it's a good idea to keep your packaging for anything like this, I wouldn't worry about the above problem. While it is obviously serious for those that it affects, judjing by the minor amount of traffic on any of the forums that discuss the PVR8000T, it only affects a very small number of units.

Faults such as this often appear more prevalent than they actually are on forums as they are a 'forum' for discussion of problems. If it does play up, like all new electronics there is a guarantee. Just buy it from somewhere easy to contact in the event, some Internet suppliers are not.

15. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,475
    I've ordered from QED today with delivery scheduled for Saturday at no extra charge. It's the best price I could find once you include delivery (£146.72). I received e-mail confirmaition immediately together with a phone number.

If you want to wait until the weekend, I'll let you know if it turns up.

16. jimbobaggins

jimbobaggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    You won't regret it and QED were great with me.

17. BillC

BillC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had one for 3 days. Can't recommend it because
    1. it won't work with the TopUp channels (I asked about this in Currys and was told it would 'probably' work)
    2. terrible user interface.
    3. manual very hard to follow.
    4. Its already let me down by not recording a preset program - and the record function totally disappeared until I removed the power and went through the whole setup again.
    5. it has NO inputs (except RF) - won't record from anything except its internal tuner.
    Bill

18. Tellyfiend

Tellyfiend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    No PVR accepts Top-up and you believed Curry's !!!!

No PVR has any other inputs and none will record from any other source except the Sony 500 DVD Recorder with built in freeview which is usually in the £330 - £350 range

19. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,475
    QED delivered yesterday as promised & the PVR8000T was up & running in no time. Picture quality is fine as is the time to change channels & navigate BBCi. Remote's a bit pants & it's too soon to comment in depth.

20. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Regarding the inputs thing on the Humax, would it take a signal from an ntl cable box? If not, what do other ntl/cable users (who probably aren't reading this thread) do for a PVR?

21. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mine arrives tuesday,though only will be able to connect up by rf at present,only one scart on tv so will need scart switcher.You cant daisy chain the box like a sky box can you(ie rgb pass through?)

22. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,475
    The manual doesn't specifically mention pass through but the unit does have 2 scarts. Thinking about it, you need to configure the 2 boxes the other way round & pass the Humax through the Sky box. Otherwise, when the Humax is recording you won't be able to get Sky via scart.

23. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The dvd player is going through the sky box.
    Anyway, will be buying a lcd 37" or plasma 37"/42" very soon,just still cant make mind up.So i will be able to have more inputs to tv.

24. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Got my humax.Easily set up.Rf output interferes with analogue channel 5 wherever the rf is set to,ie 21-69.
    My main concern is that every 15-20 mins or so the picture freezes or blips and then carries on ok.Signal strength etc seem ok.Is this a common fault with freeview or just this box?Have read humax problems on forum and they relate more to lost signals etc.
    Quite happy if i can resolve this and glad i went for the 80gig one as 15% used already.

25. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    The picture freezes are more likely to be siqnal quality rather than signal strength. Have your aerial / cable setup checked out, condition, type and precise direction are very important..

You can change the analogue output channel in setup if it is causing interference.

26. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for reply.
    I have my aerial coming in then through an adjustable booster(which produced a better analogue signal) then now one of thess outputs to the humax.Is it ok to use the booster before the humax?The signal quality seems ok around 80 and 100%.

27. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    The booster should not present any problems and Freeview will often work on a lower signal strength than analogue.

A good analogue picture does not mean that you will neccessarily get a good Freeview picture. It can be something as silly as trees in the signal path moving in the wind that will make the SQ drop occasionally, even if the signal strength is unaffected.

28. Repo

Repo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have a Humax 8000 & it's damn good! Wouldn't be without one now although it's a very simple solution. Can't wait until the 9200 twin tuner version comes out sometime summer/autumn though :)

29. Martin68

Martin68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Ive owned a humax8000 for only a few days before i gave it back to Dixons, i had the following problems with it: firstly the picture quality in rgb mode was not right, i found that bright whites looked kind of greeny blue, this was not so in composite mode, humax put blame on my tv, i used it on my Sony KF-42SX200, lcd projection set, other free view boxes give superb pictures on my tv, but the 8000 gave an over exposed look, the other problem i had was the program reserve timer, i set it to record programs that i wanted to see, but after it had recorded them, i found that often the last few minutes of the program was missing, it appears to stop recording too soon.
    the other thing that is not so much a problem but looks cheap is the remote control, the metal facier plate tends to peel up on the edges and im guessing its just a matter of time before it falls off or curls up!
    After i returned the unit back to Dixons, i missed not having a PVR so i decided to purchais the Dijifusion model, only to find that it wasnt down loading tv listings, so it was totally useless for timed recordings, apparently it relies on a signal sent over night on a certain channel, i never had that channel in my channel list. I took that unit back too, the only other option was the Thompson model, but it looks so UGLY, so i decided to give my first Humax 8000 the benifit of the doubt, hoping it was faulty, so i bought a second 8000, and i had all the above problems all over again, so im totally put off with the 8000.I took that one back too for a refund!
    Im currently looking for a DVD/HDD recoder with a digital tuner integrated, why is this not available? why are manufactorers so slow at integrating digital tuners in dvd recorders and tv sets after all they are so cheap to buy as stand alone units, it couldnt cost too much to build them in as standard!

30. Ayrton

Ayrton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I bet the staff at Dixons love it when Martin68 walks through the door :eek: