1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humax 8000 owners........

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by jonathan, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope someone can shed some light on this problem.
    Purchased one of these for my mother for Christmas & she loves it for its ease of use over her old VHS. For the second time now however "Record" has disappeared from the top of the Menu screen, to be replaced with "Games" at the bottom. When this happens there seems no way to be able to retrieve her recorded programmes list, therefore she cannot access any recordings to watch, nor set the machine to timer record any new ones. She has no idea as to why this happens, or whether she unknowingly presses a button on the remote. The manual does not refer to Games at all so is no help whatsoever. The previous time I reset the unit to default which cured the problem in the menu but lost all her stored recordings. Help!

2. Mr Hoppy

Mr Hoppy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the same issue, but as it's only happened a couple of times I can't really tell you what causes it.

However, when it does occur, try switching the unit off and then back on using the rear mains switch instead of performing a system reset.
    This causes a 'reboot', and you should then be able to view your previously stored recordings without losing any.

Hope this helps...

3. bowler

bowler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have a look at radioandtelly.co.uk for lots of info on the Humax

4. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,572
    This seems to be a relatively common problem on the Humax. Humax's response is:

"Thank you for your email; Please turn off the unit using the switch on the rear panel and turn it back on after a few seconds. Please make sure that at least once a week you switch off the PVR at the power source using the rear panel switch. Do not put the machine into stand-by first as this will result in loss of scheduled programs as you already know. Your PVR 8000T is a digital video broadcast receiver with an integrated hard disc drive not dissimilar to what you would find in a regular home or office PC. Because of the nature of digital television, interactive channels etc, it is important to reboot and initialise your unit at least once a week to avoid running into problems such as the Games Icon replacing the Record Icon."

It happened to me twice in the first week of ownership but hasn't re-occurred since (desperately searches for wood to touch). I haven't bothered switching off once a week as this has the faint odour of BS....

5. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys :smashin: I knew you'd have the answers. So can we put it down to a sort of "minor glitch" with the unit.........ie. it's not something that anybody is unwittingly doing?

6. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,572
    I think it's just one of those little bugs that Humax won't actually own up to until such time as they've fixed it in a software update. On both occasions, powering down by the mains switch at the back brought the record option back & I didn't lose any existing recordings.

You can always get your mother to try the weekly power down, there's nothing to lose.

In the meantime, keep an eye on Humax's web site for the next OTA update.