1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humax 8000 and ITV2

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by browsking, Oct 24, 2004.

Tags:
  1. browsking

browsking
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Noticed a problem tonight with ITV2. After about 30 secs of viewing picture freezes, then goes black, 'scrambled' message appears.......tune out, then back, picture restored, 30 secs later.....same again..anyone else had the same problem? :lease:

2. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Probably the weather, ITV was playing up during the Brazilian GP today for just this reason, a switch to analogue solved the problem. I know that you can't do this for ITV2, but it is on the same multiplex and will therefore display the same problems.

3. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,334
    Hmmm... i get something similar.

I start up all channels are fine, generally 67% signal strength 100% quality, then sometimes after 30mins or so i will swap channels and i get a "no signal or scrambeled" message, which says 67% signal 0-10% quality.

Some channels always seem fine when this happens (Sky News and Channel 5) but ITV and channel 4 always seems to go and often BBC1, BBC2 and BBC24 give this message also. Turning the Humax off and rebooting sometimes resolves it. All the while viewing channels 1-5 via analogue are fine.

Yes its been a bit windy and nasty outside, or maybe its heat buildup related, but seems odd?

4. browsking

browsking
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I forgot to add that the Humax runs through a Panny TV with built in digi decoder and this was not affected (I kept flicking between the two)........

5. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I have two boxes, the Humax pvr8000T and an old Pace On Digital box. For my set up (and it could be different for yours) the Humax is a lot better than the Pace for pulling in the signal under difficult conditions. That the weather can affect the signal qaulity is a well known phenomena. It does not even have to be cold and wet or windy, other factors such as the air pressure can have a big effect, and not all multiplexes behave in the same way.

Another thing is the way that the boxes deal with poor signal quality, the Pace just breaks up badly for both sound and vision, the Humax tries to hide the problem by not displaying the corrupted frames. If the quality becomes low enough it will just not display a picture and may stick up the 'This channel may be scrambled' notice.

6. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I just discovered this thread after doing a search as I now have a similar problem. I found when I turned my Humax PVR on yesterday it would not recieve any ITV or Channel 4 related channels including the teletext ones. It just says 'Bad signal or no signal', however all the other freeview channels work fine and my old Pioneer Ondigital box still picks up everything. In the signal menu the Humax gives 85% signal but 0% signal quality. I think I will give the Humax helpline a call later today as I am sure this cannot be right. Up to yesterday it had been working fine.

7. Repo

Repo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Got my Humax PVR8000T yesterday & watched ITV2 for well over an hour without any problems whatsoever. Sounds like you problem is with the signal quality - I've no idea what my signal quality on ITV2 as I didn't check but on BBC1 it was 100% quality & 29% signal strength which made me think that the Humax does a pretty good job of decoding.

By contrast my old Nokia OnDigital box (got rid of ages ago) was awful for decoding weak signals.

8. thxultra

thxultra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    any one had any problems with cbeebies and cbbc channel , they show a picture for about a second then the screen goes blank with only the press red in the corner showing.Signal strenght is 43% so dont think it's that.

only happens to these two channels , although they work fine with an old on-digital philips box and both are connected to the same ariel.

Re-tunning works but only for around a week then they go again , any idea's

9. apepper

apepper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I (and others) have/had a similar with the 8000T - I was getting 69% signal strength but occasionally, usually around 10mins after turning on, the signal quality would drop to 0 or 10% on the BBC and ITV channels. This would last for around 30mins then it went back to normal. I went back to Currys and swapped the unit and so far so good, sounds like the problem is more widespread than I thought...
    -Andrew

10. buttyharris

buttyharris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Getting more and more hacked off with 8000t box. Has had me doubting my sanity. Others are having similar problems, and coming up with all sorts of reasons - am now convinced is problem with 8000t.
    ITV Channel Strength 56/58% (good enough) - Quality wavering around 48% (****e). Every time I change/disconnect a cable it goes fine for a while. Strength stays about 56/58%, Quality 100%. After time or motion, goes back to garbage again.
    Bought a Humax Fox 200T - tried both boxes on same connections (two different aerial feeds from dist. amp) and each time Fox is fine, but 8000t drops off either after time, or with ANY movement of box/cable connections/switching off/on. Basically, I think they (Humax) have a problem dealing with ITV and CH4 on 8000t that they won’t admit to. All other channels are fine, and because I am able to compare conditions for both Humax boxes on two different setups, I can see for definite that it is not related to cables/signal strength/quality/TV/DVD equipment attached. The lowest common denominator is the 8000t.

Any other views welcome, in meantime I will be asking Humax what to do – have not bothered with firmware version/software version here as I am not convinced that it is relevant (and I don’t have it to hand!), but will provide with subsequent posts.

11. buttyharris

buttyharris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have had same issue - have posted details under this thread - am convinced its 8000t problem

12. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Since it is ITV and CH4 that are affected, which both use mux2, the problem may be related to the transmission standard.

mux2 transmits using the 64QAM standard which can carry more channels than the 16QAM standard that the BBC uses on mux1, but is much more prone to reception problems, especially at lower signal strengths.

13. buttyharris

buttyharris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hear what you are saying but why should one Humax box (8000t) be affected and not the Fox 200T - any ideas?

14. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Different chipset, tuner module, other circuitry etc?

I have to say that I have not seen this problem myself with my 8000T over the last year, although I get a similar difference in performance difference between the 8000T and the old Pace OnD box that I have. Where the 8000T deals well with poor signal strength and quality, the Pace is very flaky. :)

15. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Joining this thread a fortnight after the last post as I've got the same problem with my new Humax 8000 and I was hoping that some of the earlier posters might have found the solutioin by now....
    ...my signal strenght is usually about 80% and quality is 100% most of the time but every 10 or 15 minutes the picture dissapears and the message that others describe appears, check the signal indicators and quality has droppped to zero. Interestingly seeing what others have said here is that with mine it doesn't happen on ITV but mostly on BBC. Is this an aerial problem or a Humax one? The machine is only 2 days old so I can send it back if it's a Humax one.

16. dogonwheels77

dogonwheels77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    had what sounds like the same problem (from 100% to 0% quailty 15mins after switching it on then ok 5-6 minutes later). Rang Humax who told me it was a known problem that effected a small number of units when using the crystal palace tranmitter. My box has gone back to them (about a week ago) and i'll be interested to see if they've fixed it.

17. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    I spent most of Monday back and forwards on the phone to Humax and they didn't say anything about it being a known problem to me!
    They got me to do a manual retune then remove all equipment thet was daisy chained on the RF lead upstream of the Humax then another manual retune. Nothing worked so the Humax is going back to the retailer for a refund.
    I think I'll get the Panasonic Freeview hard disc recorder instead. Has anyone seen one in the shops yet or know when it will be available?

18. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Sometime this century, if you are lucky. :rotfl:

19. buttyharris

buttyharris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have detailed my issues on 8000T versus Fox F2 in previous posts, where F2 works fine with ITV Ch4, but not 8000T. Thanks for responses so far. 8000T is 5 months old, and Fox one month. They are now BOTH hanging frequently (once a week now on average), needing to switch off to rectify (not easy to do as they have no On/Off switch, only Standby), so if plug is behind 35Kg of widescreen TV/Stand as I have, this is a pain. Other strange problems:

BBC3 & 4 – sound disappears randomly – mains switch off required
    CBeebies – disappears altogether – mains switch off required

Will now test the quality of my supplier, to see what they are prepared to do to resolve (24/7 Web Based supplier out of South Wales).

20. thxultra

thxultra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cbeebies used to disappear on mine if you have a favourites list made up.
    Only way to cure it is to leave the channel list the way it stores them on installation.

21. mwjdavidson

mwjdavidson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also experienced this problem (unfortunately, when I first got mine I couldn't find any mention of it on any of the forums, so did not really consider the unit to be at fault). When it works, it's perfect (usually 80%+ strength and 100% quality), when it doesn't, the quality sits at around 0-10%. I have also found that Channel 4 tends to be the worst culprit.
    I was advised that it was probably down to having an indoor aerial (despite the fact that I can see the Crystal Palace transmitter from my window!) After persevering for some time and experimenting with signal boosters, etc., I've finally got around to fitting a decent aerial in the loft, only to find it made absolutely no difference!
    Bizarrely though, having moved the whole setup about a meter across the room in order to do the work necessary to hide the RF cable now trailing down my wall from the loft, the box has now been working perfectly for the last couple of days. :confused:
    I'm going to wait a few more days before drawing any conclusions, but it definitely seems much more reliable...
    However, annoyingly, it now seems to have developed another problem in that a recording I scheduled yesterday wasn't there when I came to watch it later. It was definitely recording at the time, as I double-checked it, and the signal was fine.
    I do think it's a great product in theory, but having to cross your fingers each time you come to try and watch that recorded 'must see' episode kind of takes the shine off it!

22. mwjdavidson

mwjdavidson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dogonwheels77 - I was wondering if you got any sort of reference from Humax that I could throw at them to stop them fobbing me off, as it sounds as if there is some disagreement between their staff as to whether it's a 'known' issue or not!
    Cheers

Mark

23. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Mark
    I agree it would be useful to pin Humax down on this one. When I was having trouble with mine and talking to Humax they seemed very unwilling to say what the cause was even when I told them that there was a thread on here and several people were having the same problem. In my case it certainly wasn't the aerial as I have a top quality rooftop system. Humax asked me to do a manual retune (which didn't make any difference) and I wonder if the box isn't locking onto the signal correctly, but when I explicitly asked what was wrong they said they didn't know.
    In the end I gave up and sent the box back for a refund, quite sad about that bcause I liked it - apart from it not working!

24. mwjdavidson

mwjdavidson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Siamese Cat, Did you send your box back directly to Humax or to your retailer?
    Thanks

Mark

25. dogonwheels77

dogonwheels77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my box back from humax yesterday and it seemed to be working fine last night, although I haven't given it much of a test. I think I got lucky - it was only the first person on the help line that knew about the "known Crystal Palace transmitter problem", the other two didn't know anything about it.

By the way it took three weeks from collection to return, they arranged for Parcelforce to collect and deliver - didn't cost me anything.

There was nothing in the returned box explaining the repair or giving any indication of what the problem was, but they've obviously opened the uinit as there's a new seal on it, the signal strength/quality is the same so I don't think they've put an attenuator in it - and it's definitely my box as it's still got the same recorded programs on it.

26. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    I returned it to the retailer. When you buy something the contract is with the retailer, not the manufacturer, so it has to go back to the retailer.
    Dogonwheels, interesting that you've got your box back, let us know whether it keeps on working. If Humax has found the cause of the problem and are prepared to be open about it - and know how to cure it - I'd be prepared to get another one rather than wait ages for Panasonic to release theirs.

27. Crispin

Crispin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I started another thread on this same subject before I saw this one.
    I'll re-post it here asit seems a better place to have it:-
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Have just bought a 80Gb Humax PVR-8000T from Dixons to replace a Pace DVTA (which worked fine - I just wanted the extra funcs).

Two problems.

1) Recordings play back in mono. This can be fixed by frigging about with the playback sound option each time a recoding is selected. I'm not impressed but can live with it.

2) However... Major bummer is dreadful reception. My old Pace DVTA worked fine - but the 8000T reports 'bad signal' randomly on various channels at various times and for various durations for no good reason I can determine. Very disappointed at this. Makes the unit unusable.

I understand that I'm not alone here as these problems have been noted by other users on various forums.

I have written to Humax on both these points and will post their responses as I receive them.

I really want to like this machine but these faults make this rather difficult.

Unless I get satisfaction this thing goes back to Dixons.

+++++++++++++++

Regarding the reception problem - I spoke to the Humax helpdesk today and was advised that the signal from the Crystal Palace transmitter is too strong, and is overwhelming the sensitive Humax tuner.
    They suggested I tried an atttenuator on the aerial input.
    I did (12db) and it made absolutely no difference.
    Will now be returning the unit to Dixons for a replacement.

To be continued......

28. Crispin

Crispin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Full marks to Humax.

Continuing from my previous post, Humax arranged for Parcel Force to collect my 8000t and return it to NI for a hardware fix (new tuner, presumably).
    Returned in approx 1 week - problem fixed.
    Also downloaded the new software update that fixes the stereo playback bug.
    When it all works this is a nice product that does what it says on the tin.
    Comments, if anyone's reading; it would be nice to have the day 'name' on the 7-day EPG.

Crispin.