1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humax 32" LCD PVR Twin IDTV + 40GB HDD @ Empire Direct

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Xelon, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
  2. MilesR

MilesR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah - they've finally released it then.

I was really looking forward to this set a few months back when I first saw it.
    However, based on some reviews of the 26" LCD screens I'm not so sure now. The quality of the picture tends to be mediocre according to the reviews.

However, the specs do look very very good (Especially for < £1500) - but I'd have to see one in person to take a proper look at it.

Personally I'm holding out for the new 32" Vieras - then I'll make a decision.

3. twin_decks

twin_decks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Flying Bosun

Flying Bosun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at this one and emailed Humax about UK stockists. They put me in touch with DD distribution. In short, apparently there are no stockists in the London area. They think that one outlet in Leatherhead may have taken one (how can they not know?). I certainly want to see one before I decide.

5. twin_decks

twin_decks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, the features sound good - but unless it is matched by a good quality LCD panel then it may not be worth the investment.

6. tsnavi

tsnavi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too got in touch with Humax last week and was informed of the outlet near Leatherhead (Ashtead Televisions). I also live in London but decided to drive there this morning in order to have a look at the 32" Humax LCD they have on display. I was very impressed with the functionality and thought the menus and operations were very intuitive. However, I was sorely disappointed with the screen. Unfortunately I am no expert on the various different LCD qualities available and could not state whether the setup had been done correctly but I found the picture to be very grainy. I watched quite a few channels on the freeview system and could not find one I'd be happy to sit in front of. I watched a small amount of football and found that it was quite hard to concentrate on the ball as there was very little clarity at all.

I have a 17" Sony LCD screen in my kitchen and can not fault the picture on that at all. I have also been looking at 32" Sharp LCD screens (Widescreens and Titaniums) and find them to be miles ahead of the Humax. Very unfortunate as I thought the Humax would be the one for me.

It is worth stating that the owners of the Ashtead Televisions store are incredibly nice and very helpful. They only setup the system last night, knowing I was coming, and were very open to spending a long time demonstrating things (without a sale). They had the price set at £1,599.

If anybody else has experienced the Humax 32" LCD in person and disagrees with me then I'd very much appreciate some feedback. As I said, I'm no expert and the system may not have been setup correctly.

7. Flying Bosun

Flying Bosun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Were you able to compare it with another LCD on the same setup (Freeview)? That would have indicated whether it was the signal or the set. I wonder if anyone knows the response time for this set - I don't recall seeing it in the specs.

8. twin_decks

twin_decks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The respone time is listed as 16ms, but beware of specs.. as a number of other threads in this forum point out, the standard for response time measurement is not very consitant across manufacturers.

> LCD
    Type Colour active matrix TFT-LCD
    Display Area 32" Wide
    Aspect Ratio 16 : 9
    Driver Element a-si TFT
    Display Color 16.2 M
    Resolution 1366 * 768
    Pixel Pitch 0.51075 (H) * 0.51075 (V)
    Contrast Ratio 1000 : 1
    Luminance of White 500 cd/
    Viewing Angle (CR10) 170° (H) / 170° (V)
    Module Size 760.0 (H) * 450.0 (V)
    Depth (D) 50.0 mm
    Response Time 16 ms

9. tsnavi

tsnavi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately there were no other flat screens connected up at the time so I couldn't make a comparison. I did ask if they had any other screens available but as the only others they sold were 17" screens I didn't ask for a demo. I guess in hindsight that would have been the right thing to do to check the signal. Oops :rolleyes: