Humax 2000t Picture quality

Arkon

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Bought my mother a Humax 2000t.

The picture quality is awful with the image/sound constantly freezing and breaking up.
But, when watching tv through the Humax its perfect!
Tried changing leads etc.

Hi,

The picture quality is awful with the image/sound constantly freezing and breaking up.

Humax boxes generally have pretty sensitive tuners. You may have too high a signal level, in that case a simple attenuator will fix it. Alternative is that auto tuning has picked up two transmitters and stored the weaker ones at the lower channel numbers. If you have channel numbers above 800 you need to use manual tuning to set up the box.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
The picture quality is awful but watching TV is perfect?

Hi and welcome to the forum.
The picture quality is awful but watching TV is perfect?

Not sure what this means ? The TV is likely to have less sensitive tuning, so can cope with higher signal levels than the Humax.

Last edited:
How is the Humax box connected to the TV. Can we assume it is a HDMI cable? And the main aerial lead goes to the Humax first and then on to the TV?

Hi,

Your post seems to be saying that when the aerial is plugged directly into the TV tuner, the picture is rubbish, but when the TV signal is supplied to the TV via the Humax recorder (either via scart or HDMI lead) the picture is perfect.

If my interpretation is correct then the fault would appear to be in the (built in?) Freeview tuner in the TV set.

Vin Blanc

Last edited:
Thanks to all,

I'll try the attenuator/manual tuning.
HDMI cable.
I need to check the set-up re the cabling.

That I didn't understand the OP, and still don't.
He is saying the picture delivered to his TV from the HDR2000T is constantly breaking up. The TV using it's own tuner and the same aerial is fine. IE. The HDR2000T can't give a reliable video output (the error rate is too high for the built in digital correction), the TV using the same signal is OK.
It's a common issue where a high sensitivity tuner and a lower sensitivity one share the same signal. It could also be the auto tune on the Humax finds a usable signal on autotune from another transmitter using lower UHF channels for the MUX so stores them before finding his preferred transmitter. The TV could well ignore these if it's sensitivity is lower.

Both are possible reasons.

The post is in the wrong thread, the HDR2000T is a Freeview+ box, not a satellite one.

On the asuption that the diagnosis of overload in the Humax is correct:
What DB for the attenuator?
First if there are any aerial distribution amplifiers (boosters) before the Humax try it with them by-passed to reduce the signal level.

Another user with the similar BT-branded Humax box found doing that AND a 6dB attenuator worked for him. Freeview HD break up via BT TV box

10dB is another good value to try ... or get a variable one... Always ensure they are connected with short fly-leads. Otherwise - in long term use - that can put strain on the receiver connections and cause expensive damage.

@GLT
That's the opposite to what Vin Blank interpreted. But I'm closer to you on this one than VB. But as there is confusion, I think that logi's question was justified, even if the question was not very clear what he was asking.

So what was this (Arcon's post No.1) supposed to mean then Arcon????

Vin Blanc

So what was this (Arcon's post No.1) supposed to mean
It can be read many ways... even to suggest that only recording made are breaking up. But I've just had a light-bulb moment.... !!!!
Arcon has maybe not enabled 'RF pass-through in standby' on the Humax! (or whatever it is called - it's a power saving feature).

So watching live TV via the Humax box is fine but put it in standby and the TV's own Freeview tuner is breaking up due to lack of signal as the aerial signal is effectively cut off?

@GLT
That's the opposite to what Vin Blank interpreted. But I'm closer to you on this one than VB. But as there is confusion, I think that logi's question was justified, even if the question was not very clear what he was asking.
I think the OP's opening post is a "contradiction in terms". If he, ("Arcon") is incapable of wording his question accurately, how can he expect the rest of us to guess what he is talking about?

Hopefully, I think "Rodders" has now provided the answer thus partly supporting my earlier TV Tuner theory i.e. Not exactly a faulty tuner but a tuner not receiving a signal! - Thanks Rodders.

Vin Blanc

Last edited:
Ok Blanc, sorry if there is some apparent confusion in my first post didn't mean to upset you:
(Its Arkon by the way.)
I need to go to my mothers tomorrow to check out the situation again.
How do you enable "'RF pass-through in standby'"?

I'll report back...

I think the OP's opening post is a "contradiction in terms". If he, ("Arcon") is incapable of wording his question accurately, how can he expect the rest of us to guess what he is talking about?
Agreed. Hence logi's question.
@Arkon.
You only need to enable the "RF pass-through in standby' if:
A. it's not already enabled:)
B. You get a crap signal on the TV when connecting the TV aerial through the box to the TV but an OK signal when you connect the aerial directly to the TV.

Make a specific note of how the aerial is connected to TV and Box and how the box video output is connected to the TV. Is the PQ OK when playing back a recording?

No the recordings are as bad as when watching tv through the Humax

Last edited:
If the recordings are bad, then it's not the RF pass through.
Arkon in Post #1 said:
Arkon in post#18 said:
No the recordings are as bad as when watching tv through the Humax
. Well, which is it when "watching the TV through the Humax"? Perfect or bad?
We really need to bottom out exactly what is what and how you have the stuff connected here. It's really difficult to know what to suggest with conflicting info.
Once you make some accurate info available, then it will undoubtedly be possible to make some positive suggestions as to a fix.

My last post vanished!

Anyways, this is it again.
Thanks for all the feedback, I need to visit my mother today to check the configuration as I have it seems got a bit confused.

Post back soon...

Arkon - There are a number of people here trying to help you but they are hampered by inadequate information.

Please try to give a full and accurate description of the connection set up and a clear explanation of what is working as it should, and what is not. - Thanks

Ok,

The problem is solved:
1) Did a manual download.
2) Did a power down for 2 mins.

All works fine now.

(incidentally, the RF out of the Humax to the tv gave the perfect picture and the HDMI out to the tv was the problem one for viewing and watching recordings.)

Thank you all for your advice and patience

Ok,

The problem is solved:
1) Did a manual download.
2) Did a power down for 2 mins.

All works fine now.

(incidentally, the RF out of the Humax to the tv gave the perfect picture and the HDMI out to the tv was the problem one for viewing and watching recordings.)

Thank you all for your advice and patience
Did you have both RF and HDMI connected to the TV at the same time? Normally, it's either one or the other, at least on my 2000T!

Vin Blanc

Did you have both RF and HDMI connected to the TV at the same time? Normally, it's either one or the other, at least on my 2000T!

Vin Blanc

If he wanted to use the TV's own tuners he would have to. Unless he means the analogue video and audio out (which is about as far from rf as you can get). The box does not have an internal modulator so it is not possible to view the box output by rf without adding an external modulator.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom