1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humax 17" freeview LCD is 15:9 not 16:9

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by cybersoga, Jun 7, 2004.

1. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/dtv_lcd17.asp

The specifications say that the screen is 16:9, but it's not, it's 15:9, so
    some of the picture will be cropped from the sides when watching 16:9
    broadcasts. I sent an email to humax about it, here's the reply...

----
    Dear Customer,
    Thank you for your email.
    Our screen size on the LB-17E model is 15:9, this is due to the manufacturer
    of the Panel.

In fact, almost all of the Widescreen TVs in the TV industry that are stated
    as 16:9 are accurately 15:9.
    If you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards
    Michael Caughey
    Technical Engineer
    Humax Electronics Co. Ltd.
    Unit 1 Jubilee Road
    Newtownards
    Co Down
    N. Ireland
    BT23 4YH
    ===============================
    Tel: +44 (0)2891 824983
    Fax: +44 (0)2891 812932
    E-mail: MichaelC@humax-digital.co.uk

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Interesting, they are based about 5 mins down the road from me..... Dont know I believe them!

ad

3. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Most small widescreen LCD's seem to be 15:9 (1.6:1), but most widescreen CRT, Plasmas and larger LCD's are 16:9 (1.78:1). I think Panasonic is one of the few doing small 16:9 LCD TVs. Combining a freeview tuner with a 15:9 panel doesn't seem like a good idea to me because most of freeview is 16:9.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll havce to keep that in mind because I was looking out for a small LCD for a bedroom....

ad

5. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Almost all LCD's are 15:9, big or small. Black bars are the norm, or vertical stretch.

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    why may i ask?

ad

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    A hangover from the PC industry, the resolutions are all PC based. 1280x768, rather than HD video friendly 1280x720

9. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'm not making any assumptions. I've played with one in John Lewis. It crops the sides off 16:9 broadcasts by default, I don't know if it has an option to watch it with black borders.

10. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    If your looking at TV's, the easiest way to tell is bring a tape measure. measure the active area of the screen and divide the width by the height, it should be 1.7777777777777777777777777777778:1 which is equal to 16:9. if it's not, 16:9 pictures are being compromised whether that's cropping, stretching or black bars.

11. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I believe that Humax are using the same panel from LG that is also used in LG's own 17 inch LCD plus JVC's and Sony's (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I presume that means those models are 15:9 too?

12. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,232
    I was at a Panasonic training day a couple of weeks ago and we mentioned about the panels being 15:9, The main reason was that it was more economical due to large LCD panels being split into smaller units equally where as if they made them 16:9 they wouldn`t be able to make as many from one larger one ?

Note this was a Panasonic technical expert saying this !

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That sounds like farmyard odour to me, it's cos they buy in their panels from PC screen makers. I will be drinking champagne the day someone comes up with a 1280/720 panel. I have a projector that res, wish I had a small monitor to match.

14. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Well obviously Humax don't make the actual LCD panel, but that's beside the point. They know it's 15:9 yet the TV's specifications say otherwise, they are deliberately deceiving the public.

Sony's website says the 17" is 16:9, 1280x768. One of those is wrong because 1280x768=1.6:1 (15:9), I suspect that it is infact 15:9. The 23" is also 1280x768 but they are correctly saying it's 15:9.

Phillips quote the wrong aspect ratio in their spec sheets. They are also using 1280x768 (15:9) panels, but say they are 16:9 in their spec sheets.

Samsung are also using 1280x768 (15:9) panels, on their website, the 17 inch they don't mention the aspect ratio but the 32" they incorrectly say it's 16:9.

Panasonic's 15inch and 22inch (non digital tuner models) are 854x480, which equals 1.7791666666666666666666666666667:1, almost the same as 16:9 so they are correct in saying they are 16:9. I'd need to measure them for sure, that might not be the LCD's native resolution that they are quoting in the spec on their website. I don't know what AR or resolution the new ones with the digital tuners are...

LCD screens are usually square pixel so as long as you know the native resolution you can divide the number of pixels horizontally by the number vertically to get the aspect ratio.

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I expect Panasonic's new LCD's are either their own 852/480 or they will be 1280/768, it's all that's out there. I can't find one that will actually accept 1280/720 as a resolution from a PC, I have to change resolutions when switching between projector and monitor, a real pain.

16. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    So, what you are all saying, then, is that my Samsung 22 inch set, which has a 1280 x720 panel doesn't exist?

MAW: You can stop waiting. In fact, you didn't need to wait in the first place.

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    From you, I'll take that as fact, but no, I had no idea, never deal with samsung, I'don't sell much LCD, most of my customers want big stuff, and of course LCD tv's dont need installation, and are bought mega discount on the web. I will have a look. In fact it's way too big for my application, I want a monitor not an alternative display, just to cue up the dvd for projection.

18. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You've probably watched it in one of the "stretch the image to fill the screen" modes.

The particular example I'm thinking of is the JVC 26". If you put it in "Full" mode (the mode for anamorphic video) when watching an anamorphic 16:9 framed DVD, you get a 16:9 (1280x720) image with bars above and below (from your remaning 48 horizontal lines of pixels), but most stores leave this (and all other sets I've seen) in the zoom modes (think it's 16:9 zoom on the JVC... it's a while since i sent my last JVC back so i can't remember what the other modes are) which fill the whole screen with the image. You can normally notice this because the image looks slightly stretched vertically (until I realised that LCD's do this, I thought there was something wrong with all the LCD's I'd looked at)

19. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Would you want a 15:9 LCD with freeview tuner built in, most freeview broadcasts being 16:9, if you have perminant black borders? seems like a waste, they might as well cover up the top and bottom with the bezel!

20. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have to say that, on the JVC 26" at least, I didn't realise there were black borders in "Full" mode until I was close up to the screen (although i was demoing a rather dark film if I recall correctly).

Personally I think it's just a trade off. If you don't like it, don't buy it and wait for however long it takes for a true 16:9 screen with the built-in freeview and the rest (which doesn't look like happening any time soon). Otherwise check if it has a proper 16:9 mode which puts black bars above & below, and demo the set to see if this will be annyoing during normal viewing. If it is, don't buy, if not it's up to you.

21. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ditto.

Just don't buy it. If enough (not likely) of you guys stop buying they will have to do something. The general mass market audience don't care if their screen is 0.1111111111 out of aspect. Or that they have a few bars at the top and bottom. They are the ones that make way for more research and development in to newer tech.

Also the added bonus for the pc friendly resolution is good.

Koing

22. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I got this second reply from Humax:-
    ---

I will inform our development team of this and hopefully we will change this to the correct information in the future. The screen sizes come from a different manufacture, and these are the screen sizes that they produce for other brands of LCD TV.

I apologise for any confusion.

Best regards

Michael Caughey