Humax 1100S x 2 not working in one room

I have two Humax 1100S boxes in different rooms. Very recently one became very intermittent in response to the handset, and is connected to a Samsung UE48JS8500T via the Samsung HDMI connection box. After changing batteries in handset and checking all connections it is still intermittent. I have now replaced it with the other box which is working perfectly on a Samsung T32E310EX. It is behaving in an identical intermittent manner, using its own cables and connections. This suggests a connection problem somewhere. I have tried the other HDMI connections on the the connector box, which work fine with Firestick etc., but the intermittency still remains. The original 1100S works fine when connected to the Samsung 32.
Any suggestions as to what to check next gratefully received.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Need a bit more to go on really.

Both Humax handsets on the 'dodgy' room and same Humax box react the same?

Sound and pictures OK on the dodgy room?

What do the boxes report for satellite Signal and Quality on the two locations? Both locations good and similar or vastly different?

Big candidate for remote control issues are IR emitting devices flooding the PVR's IR sensor. Low energy fluorescent lamps, leds when failing, sunlight... etc.,. IF that's the problem.
Test via a 'hood' to shield the sensor from other light sources and using the remote closer.
NB infra red light is invisible to the naked eye but some phone cameras can see it (some have IR filters though).

Thanks for the swift reply R53. In turn:
Yes.
Yes.
Signal quality settings in dodgy room are good on both channels on each box.
I have switched off any other possible IR source, eg Alexa, Blink camera and other two boxes connected.
I can get handset buttons to operate almost normally if box is shrouded in foil and handset touching the box receiver sensor. Does this suggest there is some strong interference still?

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
The 1100S has no front panel display that could be used to test operation with the TV hdmi removed in that room, sadly.

Do you have a small TV you can take to that dodgy room for testing?

If so try disconnecting the big set and powering it off, then use the small test TV. Any different?

Do check for any other remotes in the room, e.g. one with a key stuck down.

I get you, see if they behave the same on a different set. will do.
Strangely, using the Samsung Smart handset, I can control the Humax box normally. I assume this is being controlled via the Tv, but not being a tech expert, I’m not certain.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
HDMI CEC may well pass some control functions? But something in that room is upsetting the Humax IR input and - assuming it's a relatively new issue - something has happened to cause that. You need to be methodical to find it.

Pretty sure my Foxsat-HDR and -T2 don't play hdmi cec like that on my setups though ;) (but the Chromecast TV does).

Carried out further trouble shooting today, switching off everything else in the room including iPhone and iPad Bluetooth. At this point the Humax worked perfectly, so re-introduced each item in turn. BUT, it still worked perfectly!!! , then, after about two hours, back to sI have zero confidence it will continue to do so, given my experience over the last two or three weeks, but further fault finding will have to await further failure. As usual I am completely baffled, ….and very annoyed. I guess there must be some sort of intermittent IR causing this, but, given that the boxes both work fine on the other TV in another room, it implies that the IR is local to the dodgy room. I find it hard to believe that the TV is an intermittent IR transmitter.
Thanks for your help R53.
PS I like the Herc avatar.

Sorry amendment got garbled.
This is driving me potty.
At no particular time, the Humax boxes (both) either work perfectly or completely intermittently. During the latter periods, by sitting holding (either) handset next to the box sensor, it is possible to operate the box, albeit often with multiple button presses. Then at no particular interval later, the box will suddenly operate completely normally. This behaviour is the same for both boxes on the 48” Samsung, not yet checked with another TV in this room, but both work normally on a smaller TV in another room. Is it possible to get intermittent IR interference from the TV itself?

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom