Humax 1100S only sees one cable - anything I can do?

pressure

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My 1100S has stopped recording shows (mainly BBC One HD / Match of the Day and BBC 4 HD documentaries).

In settings it says it only has one cable connected (Tuner 1).

Investigation seems to show that coax input Tuner 2 does not work.

Both coax outputs at the wall work when connected to Tuner 2. Both coax cables work from either satellite connection to Tuner 1, but not Tuner 2.

So it looks to me like Tuner 2 has broken somehow.

Anything I can do about this or anything else I can try to diagnose? I assume not.

Have you tried a freesat tune and/or a factory reset of the box?
Single cable mode is invoked when tuning and only one working connection is found. Repeating the retune may find two working connections now you have 'fettled' the wiring.

Make a note of all recording reservations before you do either though!

Graham has a system of proving both tuners are working OK in single cable mode (via the internal linking wire) by recording one programme and then a second one in the same polarisation/band...

A File that can be opened in any Web Browser can be downloaded from here.

It;s colour coded so you can see all the channels in the same band and polarisation.

Never seen a Humax satellite box tuner fail other than water getting into the coax cables due to either poor sealing at the lnb or the outer coax covering abrading due to routing over a sharp edge and not properly secured.

Thank you both.
Just tried a freesat retune. Before doing so settings said there was good signal on tuner 1, nothing on tuner 2. I could see and record BBC 1 HD and all channels seemed available (not sure about BBC 4).

Channel search started by saying antenna signal was detected, “LNB only”. Then the next screen of channel search said the box wasn’t picking up any signal on either tuner and the graphic showed neither tuner was working.

At this point I backed out of the process and all channels are still there, and signal info still says only tuner 1 is working.

Since both coax connections work, using either coax cable, on the 1100’s tuner 1 socket but not tuner 2 socket, I think the issue is inside the freesat box.

I’m afraid that html file doesn’t open on chrome, Firefox or safari. BBEdit analysis seems to show it’s a frame for a link to an excel spreadsheet.

Thanks again

Thank you both.
Just tried a freesat retune. Before doing so settings said there was good signal on tuner 1, nothing on tuner 2. I could see and record BBC 1 HD and all channels seemed available (not sure about BBC 4).

Channel search started by saying antenna signal was detected, “LNB only”. Then the next screen of channel search said the box wasn’t picking up any signal on either tuner and the graphic showed neither tuner was working.

At this point I backed out of the process and all channels are still there, and signal info still says only tuner 1 is working.

Since both coax connections work, using either coax cable, on the 1100’s tuner 1 socket but not tuner 2 socket, I think the issue is inside the freesat box.

I’m afraid that html file doesn’t open on chrome, Firefox or safari. BBEdit analysis seems to show it’s a frame for a link to an excel spreadsheet.

Thanks again

Something very odd is happening. Excel Exporting to .htm is not working properly . I will try and sort it out. You should see a file like this

Attachments

• Foxsatstatic.jpg
    Foxsatstatic.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 158
Not sure what is happening to Excel, However more than one way to skin a cat

So you haven't actually retuned, as you backed out before doing that.

On system info > signal at the foot of the page it should confirm how many feeds it detected (last time you tuned/installed).
One or Two ?

Can you also confirm the firmware on your box is the latest? Humax as older firmware had a tuner display 'foible' I have read (elsewhere).

It says freesat box connected with one cable.

13177ABE-9848-444F-9F8B-3CA9804EF86E.jpeg
Software is 3.00.96 - system says no update available.

0AB1F695-C016-426C-AAE4-73C9B9B0CCD4.jpeg

When I try retuning it says no cables connected

101D8DBE-792E-4EC1-9447-5EB562876CD6.jpeg

Last edited:
Just now it was working ok with one tuner. In a bid to get both working I’ve now done a full reset.

It now cannot detect any signal. So it has gone from partially working, to completely non functional, while doing a reset of channels.

Given that it was previously picking up a signal, and now does not, indicates to me that this box is in fact faulty.

018F0224-FC74-4332-A743-759954E230CB.jpeg
image.jpg

Not sure what to do now...

Edit: I tried it in STB mode which works, but not freesat. Again both cables work with the tuner 1 input but not with tuner 2. I’ve tried manually tuning to other transponders suggested in other threads - 11428.00 H DVB-S QPSK 27500 2/3 - but that doesn’t pick up anything, channel search finds 0 channels.

Last edited:
My guess is that the LNB has developed a fault. On a freesat tune / Reset it firstly only looks for the freesat transponder to detect the number of feeds. If the LNB has lost the horizontal frequencies it will not find the feed.

Gotcha. Think I need find a good satellite installer to do some maintenance work.

A quick addendum. A satellite installer visited this morning and replaced both the LNB and the dish (it was held together with sticky tape!).

AFAICT the Humax box is now working perfectly.

Many thanks to the incredibly knowledgable people in this forum for their help with resolving this issue.

As I have found out, and as has been pointed out to me on this thread and others: the Humax is surprisingly unlikely to go wrong, unless the hard drive fails, and your issues really are almost certainly external to the unit.

Have you tried a freesat tune and/or a factory reset of the box?
Single cable mode is invoked when tuning and only one working connection is found. Repeating the retune may find two working connections now you have 'fettled' the wiring.

Make a note of all recording reservations before you do either though!

Graham has a system of proving both tuners are working OK in single cable mode (via the internal linking wire) by recording one programme and then a second one in the same polarisation/band...
One of my cables is suddenly not recognised even with new LNB. Seems one cable needs replacing, but I think one port also dead ? When I put the cable which works into the second port, no signal detected. I understand ports can switch off, but factory reset and attempt to channel search (which doesn’t work - no signal received!) doesn’t fix this. Ideas?

Hi. Similar to above…one of my cables is suddenly not recognised on HUMAX HDR-1100S even with brand new LNB. Seems one cable needs replacing, but I think one port also dead ? When I put the cable which works into the second port, it says no signal detected. I understand ports can switch off, but factory reset and attempt to channel search (which doesn’t work - no signal received!) doesn’t fix this. Ideas?

Doesn't the box only use tuner-port 1 for initial setup? Home Tp tuning, postcode etc.,. If so a dead cable in that input may well give 'no signal', regardless of a good cable in tuner-port 2.

Change the cable (re-terminate the F-plugs on it first in case it's a simple connection issue - a stray whisker shorting inner to outer, for example). New cable should be all copper construction - WF100 or WF65 for example.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom