Humax 1000S Signal Problem

It specifically states on Amazon Freeview Box here "HD Freeview Set Top Box – August DVB400 - Watch, Record, Play and Pause Live TV in 1080p High Definition", and states in the same item description "With a 7 Day EPG, you can swiftly browse through the Television listings for the next weeks programming, then easily set up scheduled recording or auto-channel changing so you don't miss your favourite shows. Your favourite channels can be stored in easy to find categories to customise your channel surfing and streamline your viewing." So is this a lie? If so they could be sued under the Sales Description Act surely ?

Your money, your choice. Being Amazon, returns are easy.

If you have an issue complain to Amazon and Freeview.

No point is getting into a dispute or legal proceeding for £36.

Just looked at the Humax Play and the Humax Aura you mentioned but they are still only Freeview which means I presume you still only have access to the same number of channels? If so what is the difference which justifies £240 for a Humax compared to the one I quoted for £36?

Just a short list, Licensed product, Freeview Play not just an EPG (7 day or now and next), HDD fitted, future firmware updates, Aura has Android OS (jury's out on that), Chromecast capability, UHD capability for Apps.

FVP-5000 has most of above plus Streaming Internet channels capability (not sure about the Aura).

List goes on and on.

Your choice.

I picked up my brand new FVP-5000 2TB for £140 earlier this year there are sometime offers around.

Last edited:
Crikey, that was a bargain, cheapest I can find one is £240 ! Will have to think about it but I am trying at the moment to try and find a Humax Repair outlet. All the guff the government spouts about "Green policies" and not chucking stuff out to protect the environment but I see very little in attempts to avoid people having to do that. I hate throwing away perfectly good equipment that could be repaired.

Just looked at the Humax Play and the Humax Aura you mentioned but they are still only Freeview which means I presume you still only have access to the same number of channels? If so what is the difference which justifies £240 for a Humax compared to the one I quoted for £36?

Crikey, that was a bargain, cheapest I can find one is £240 ! Will have to think about it but I am trying at the moment to try and find a Humax Repair outlet. All the guff the government spouts about "Green policies" and not chucking stuff out to protect the environment but I see very little in attempts to avoid people having to do that. I hate throwing away perfectly good equipment that could be repaired.
Yes it was hence the impulse purchase.

Try these people, not used them myself but I'm sure they have been recommenced by others:

The spec for the Amazon unit is light on details. Guessing it has only 1 tuner so is likely you cannot watch another channel while recording.

The humax units have 3 tuners so both the Aura and FVP-5000T have 3 so up to 4 recordings at the same time (subject to MUX).

The FVP-5000T is slow to respond to the remote. The Aura is much faster. You can watch live TV and recordings on Mobile Phones and tablets connected by WiFi to a router.

The spec for the Amazon unit is light on details. Guessing it has only 1 tuner so is likely you cannot watch another channel while recording.

The humax units have 3 tuners so both the Aura and FVP-5000T have 3 so up to 4 recordings at the same time (subject to MUX).

The FVP-5000T is slow to respond to the remote. The Aura is much faster. You can watch live TV and recordings on Mobile Phones and tablets connected by WiFi to a router.

Well I don't find the FVP remote a real issue, appears some do some don't. Also it can play SD recordings over local wired or wireless network, (shame the HD capable adapter for it is no longer available new, but SD or HD it would have limited use for me anyway). Either can stream over local wired or wireless network to tables or phones, but not over Mobile networks or non local networks. Some Slingbox's (although support being phased out next year) when connected to a suitable device have has this capability for years.

I'm sorry but most of what you said there went right over my head, I am not tech savvy and s only understand basic functions of these machines. All I want is something to record movies or TV series occasionally, which has a 7 day channel guide I can look through like the old Humax 1000S had and twin tuners (like the old Humax 1000S) had so I can watch one programme whilst recording another and a good selection of channels like on Freeview Play . Suggestions? Not bothered about all the other bells and whistles.

So go for one of the Humax Freeview PVR's, the Aura is the newest one. Or one lf the Manhattan Freeview PVR's. Bit cheaper, T2-R has less apps, T3-R more if required.

Not used the Aura or Manhattan PVR's, so they are suggestions not recommendations.

See the relavent owners threads for more info.

Including:

And others.

Sometimes lack of use of devices means the next switch-on they fail.
You've been unlucky with your unit.
I have 3 Humax PVRs all are working, two must be over 10 years old and the other one is coming up to 8 years old. I gave a 9200T away to a Charity in 2016 still operational.

eBay and some Charity shops may have second user Humax freesat PVRs for sale. Note that Channel 4 is SD only since they threw their toys out of the freesat pram a few years ago. HD via Freeview and $ky, though :censored:.

Humax twin - tuner 1 dead! is an old thread where a (now ex-/retired) repairer of such kit suggested the most likely cause was a simple to fix power supply to tuner issue.

Freeview reception and TV channel line up offered will depend on the LOCATION and the transmitter used, it also needs a working UHF aerial Note there was another frequency shuffle a couple of years back that required TV aerials replacing in some areas.

T

Thanks for the info, will take a look. Did go onto the Freeview Play site to see how many channels I would be able to get for our post code and it was 140, so that's not too bad. We have the same aerial in the loft as when we used the Humax before so hopefully it would work with a new unit.

the humax was satellite so would not have been using the aerial

Problem solved! Humax Box is caput ! Only used it for 2 yrs before we went abroad for 3 yrs and the technican showed us that the Tuner 1 is not working. He said everything else is fine, the LNB is 2nd generation and about 8 yrs old and the dish is not much older he said and is fine. So the Humax only lasted 2 yrs ! Rubbish. He did suggest either buying a Freeview box which is via the broadband and doesn't use satellite or get an upgraded Humax as he says they are now better and have wifi built in, so I will take a look, but not impressed if they only last 2 yrs. So much for trying to live in a "Green" society and told to "protect the environment" when you are forced constantly to bin these gadgets in the recyle bin !
Chances are your box has a software version is way out of date, Updates via the satellite connection stopped a long time ago, (nothing to do with Humax) . Now you have to update by by a broadband connection over the internet,

Connect your box to a UK router. Check it has a UK IP address . Look for a update from the menus.

If it has a connection post the date of the latest software update. you have.

Just thought I would update everyone. After contacting the Digirepair Company about doing a repair, he suggested I first do a factory reset which I have carried out and whallah! It has now activated Tuner 1 and it is now working. I did however have to attach a second ethernet cable to the back of the box to the first TP Link home adaptor which is plugged into an electrical socket at the back of the box as a message was saying that the network was not connected through the LAN, so together with the ethernet cable going from the second TP Link adaptor to the router in the hall means it is now fully functioning. All I need to do now is to check if it needs the software updating. Not quite sure how to do that but will check later. Amazing though that neither the aerial repair man or the Humax customer services advised me to do a factory reset ! Still not sure if I need both the ethernet cables connected but what the heck it is now working.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me. Much appreciated.

Latest Software for G2 boxes. Update is now only over a internet connection.

Attachments

• G2-Box-Software-Details.jpg
    G2-Box-Software-Details.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 36
I did an update on the box to 300.98 although obviously I don't know what the date was of that, it just downloaded it. How do you check for updates on the internet?

If you have the software I posted the photo of then you have the latest.

Box checks on boot for new software. This was released in January this year and is the latest.

Channel changes are automatic when the box is on.

Check you have your local ITV-HD region on 103.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom