Humax 1000S Signal Problem

Dunflittin68

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have started using my Humax box after some time abroad. I have Plusnet now so different IP address. I tried to connect the Humax Box up but it keeps saying that the signal is weak and when viewing the network connections I see there is an old IP address stored there but I can't see how to change it. Do I have to somehow change the network settings? Also I have to use TP Link Adaptors, one connected near the router in the hallway with an ethernet connection and another close to the Humax Box on a separate socket but as I say it says the signal is weak or not connected. What else can I try ?

Last edited:
First question is have you connected it to a working satellite dish LNB?
Do you have working TV pictures from it?
The no/weak signal is usually an indication of no satellite signal or wrong LNB type ($ky Q LNBs don't work with these old boxes, if you have moved into a new dwelling cf your last time in the UK).

The 1000S doesn't have wifi ethernet, so needs a wired ethernet connection (via powerplugs if necessary) or a special USB wifi dongle (possibly??).

I'd normally advise reading the manual - but it seems a bit sparse for the 1000S.

You'll need to find the Setup Menu about internet connection and, if you assigned a fixed IP address in the past, just change the box to DHCP and it should get one assigned from the new router.
A 'factory reset' aka 'default settings' will likely reset everything and go back to a first time install and need for entering a postcode etc.,. Including IP DHCP assignment.
It won't delete any old recording.

But if there's no usable satellite signal you will be snookered.

When you say "working satellite" do you mean, do we subscribe to Sky because we don't and never have although there is a satellite dish outside our bungalow which the previous owners had put in. There are black leads coming in through the wall and we couldn't remember if we had to connect to these leads and with what as we seem only to have an aerial lead which we did connect from "SAT IN 1" to the aerial socket. Also I don't know what you mean by "change the box to DHCP"? I can try changing the setting to "default" to see if it resets but does this pick up the IP address we currently use automatically? As I said, we do have powerline adaptors (2), one connected to the router in the hallway via an ethernet cable to the back of the router. I know the Humax Box was working before we went to Spain a few years back and we had Virgin Broadband then but have never subscribed to a TV service, if that makes any difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask the mods to move this to Satellite and search there, it's not a Freeview receiver.

The first step is to connect the machine to a non-SkyQ LNB on a satellite dish directed at 28 degrees East.

If the people that lived in the property before you had sky the the LNB (the bit at the end of the stick on the dish) most likely will not work with your Humax 1000s.

If the people that lived in the property before you had sky the the LNB (the bit at the end of the stick on the dish) most likely will not work with your Humax 1000s.
It did work though when we first moved here, we used the Humax Box for a couple of years before we went abroad and then we disconnected it and stored it as the property was being rented out. We have just tried to connect the Satellite leads to the Humax box and it is still saying it is either a weak or no signal at all. I think I am going to have to get a satellite engineer or an aerial repair person.

Did you rent your property out or anything while you were over seas?

Yes we did. When we got back we had to have the original aerial reconnected as the tenant had cut the aerial in the loft and resited into the middle of the room and had a wall TV but we had to get it reconnected. We have since had a new Smart TV but they (John Lewis) set up the TV for us to the wireless but I seem to remember at the time they said the signal was weak and they did something in the hall (where the router is sited) and then the TV was OK. The new TV was obtained after the aerial in the loft was resited back to its original position so I know that the aerial is not the problem.

You need to have a satellite installer to check the dish.

If the people that lived in the property before you had sky Q, the the LNB (the bit at the end of the stick on the dish) most likely will not work with your Humax 1000s.
Corrected that for you.

You seem to have missed the bit where I said we DID use it for 2 yrs before we went abroad with the same equipment i.e. Sky, LNB etc.

You seem to have missed the bit where I said we DID use it for 2 yrs before we went abroad with the same equipment i.e. Sky, LNB etc.
If you rented the property out how do you know that the LNB was not changed?

If no one has been in the property for 2 years it might well be the the dish has come out of alignment.

If you know anyone who has sky q borrow their box and see if it works.

alternatively if you know someone that has a humax freesat box take yours there and see if it works

We don't have much to do with the neighbours and either side they don't have Sky dishes, in fact not many in our street do seem to have dishes unless they are all on the back of their houses and they can't be seen. Also I can't see me knocking at doors asking if they use a Humax Box when I hardly speak to most of them normally except to say hello to the immediate few either side. Even the one opposite has never spoken to us or us them! In any case, I have already asked an Aerial/Satellite Technician to come down and take a look. As you say it might just be a case of the Sky dish is out of alignment but it is very old by the looks of it and the wiring or indeed the dish may need replacing.

It did work though when we first moved here, we used the Humax Box for a couple of years before we went abroad and then we disconnected it and stored it as the property was being rented out. We have just tried to connect the Satellite leads to the Humax box and it is still saying it is either a weak or no signal at all. I think I am going to have to get a satellite engineer or an aerial repair person.

How many outputs does the lnb have ?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Problem solved! Humax Box is caput ! Only used it for 2 yrs before we went abroad for 3 yrs and the technican showed us that the Tuner 1 is not working. He said everything else is fine, the LNB is 2nd generation and about 8 yrs old and the dish is not much older he said and is fine. So the Humax only lasted 2 yrs ! Rubbish. He did suggest either buying a Freeview box which is via the broadband and doesn't use satellite or get an upgraded Humax as he says they are now better and have wifi built in, so I will take a look, but not impressed if they only last 2 yrs. So much for trying to live in a "Green" society and told to "protect the environment" when you are forced constantly to bin these gadgets in the recyle bin !

The box can be used in single tuner mode.

He is wrong.

A Freeview box still requires an aerial, not a dish, broadband is optional. No Humax Freesat boxes have or had Wi-Fi and they are no longer in production anyway, the replacement is the Arris produced Freesat box but it has issues see the relevant owners threads. Humax Freeview boxes are still in production and the two models Aura and FVP-5000T do have Wi-Fi but they also have issues see the relevant owners threads.

Sorry, yes he did say the Freeview would work off a normal aerial. Didn't know that Humax did Freeview Boxes but the most populat on Amazon seem to be a fraction of the price (£36) and seem to have very good reviews. So which would people on here recommend, for recording movies off TV which is what I wanted it for?

Sorry, yes he did say the Freeview would work off a normal aerial. Didn't know that Humax did Freeview Boxes but the most populat on Amazon seem to be a fraction of the price (£36) and seem to have very good reviews. So which would people on here recommend, for recording movies off TV which is what I wanted it for?
That along with many other on Amazon and E-bay are incorrectly listed. It will not have the Freeview licenced EPG, it's just a general DTT receiver, probably just now and next EPG.

Current Freeview capable devices are listed (minus a lot of TV's) here:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom