Humane Mouse Traps. . .

Digger

Have some mice droppings in the garage and discovered some more on the third floor too!!

Anyone tried humane mouse traps such as this? I know there have been some threads posted a while back but wondering where rodent-removal technology has got to! Not very good at killing things hence prefer to trap and release.

For a laugh I might try this:)

Sonic67

Banned
Problem is like any other humane trap. You need to check it regularly or the animal inside will starve to death and it will be an inhumane trap.

Digger

They can be checked daily. Out of interest I just read that if you discover holes large enought to poke a biro/pencil into then it needs to be blocked. Can a mouse that small really squeeze through a hole that small?

GW43

Not very good at killing things hence prefer to trap and release.
With a conventional mouse-trap you don't have to be good at killing things - the trap does it for you!

I accounted for around 30 of the blighters when I had an infestation in my garage. I could hardly clean the traps fast enough.

BTW, Kit-Kat was excellent as bait!

Digger

With a conventional mouse-trap you don't have to be good at killing things - the trap does it for you!

I accounted for around 30 of the blighters when I had an infestation in my garage. I could hardly clean the traps fast enough.

BTW, Kit-Kat was excellent as bait!
OK badly phrased. . .meant not good at killing and having to deal with dead things (rodents). . .squeamish me! :rolleyes:

highly_defined

I looked into humane traps when we had an infestation but frankly they were a complete waste of time so I picked up a few old-skool mousetraps. I was very squeamish about dealing with dead rodents too, but once I'd seen the first dead one I didn't look back. And yes - another vote for Kit Kats here - Ferrero Rocher also work well! If you do go the humane route bear in mind you'll have to take the rodents miles - and I mean MILES away otherwise they will return.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
There's been a thread on this here recently. I voted for the humane tilting trap. Just sprinkled a little flour as bait. Probably worth getting more than one if you have quite a few, and drop them more than one mile from home lest they return...

Kieron

Distinguished Member

MonkeyKnuckle

Novice Member
Tried everything - only thing that worked was this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300218908279

... on the HIGHEST setting. Not seen a mouse since. Also not seen a spider, bugs since either!
We've got one of those but don't use it because the sound it makes can be heard by anyone under the age of 25 (I think that's the right age) and it's a right pain in the ass. :D

I read a story a while ago about shop keepers using them to keep kids from hanging around outside their shops.

Digger

Right then. All sorted now (hopefully). Just returned from Robert Dyas armed with two humane tilters, 4-pack of snappers, and a mop in case it gets messy (actually we needed a new one anyway). On the way back stopped off at Waitrose and bought the killer product. . . .Waitrose Organic Crunchy Peanut Butter (its all they had).

Hopefully (for them) the critters will head for a snapper, as I'd feel a bit guilty if they were caught in a humane one for more than a few hours.

As for letting them go, I live about 700 yards from Regents Park across several busy roads. Surely they wouldnt find there way back if I let them go in the Park somewhere. . .unless they sneakily follow me home :)

Kieron

Distinguished Member
We've got one of those but don't use it because the sound it makes can be heard by anyone under the age of 25 (I think that's the right age) and it's a right pain in the ass. :D

I read a story a while ago about shop keepers using them to keep kids from hanging around outside their shops.
We've a two year old, a five year old and an eleven year old. No complaints from them.

I think if it were true the companies would have been out of business long ago.

No we tried the lot. Every morning my wife was letting them out of the traps humanely, every other day I was filling holes - the buggers just kept coming.

Turned on the sonics and not heard a peep since. Brilliant!

Digger

Two peanut-buttered humane traps and a snapper in the garage, plus a snapper on the alleged route up to the third floor.

Kieron, do you keep it switched on all the time? How far away was your wife letting the mouses out?

Message to the meece if they are reading this: I would REALLY prefer you to investigate the black plastic rectangular (follow the smell) objects rather than the weird rectangle of wood and spirally metal with newspaper underneath and a small wooden mouse-shaped coffin lying nearby.

Astraeus

Don't worry about being squeamish around dead creatures. The first time I killed a squirrel, it was disgusting - the blood was seeping from its eyes and mouth - but I've since killed upwards of fifty and now it doesn't bother me at all. What does bother me is seeing them caught in these "humane" traps, knowing they've been stuck there for hours wanting out. We now see one scuttling about as often as a blue moon. A year of effective pest management has absolutely got rid of the problem. I'd suggest doing the same with mice, be ruthless and just have it the simplest, quickest and cleanest way...with an old-school trap.

Digger

Call me pathetic, but whats bugging me now is that out of the two humane traps available I chose the black plastic opaque version rather than the semi- transparent dark plastic versions. Why? Because there seemed to be many returned ones (design fault) of the latter on the shelf which were not in their original packaging. If I was going to be trapped I'd opt for a view and some light. . .:suicide:

Kieron

Distinguished Member
Two peanut-buttered humane traps and a snapper in the garage, plus a snapper on the alleged route up to the third floor.

Kieron, do you keep it switched on all the time? How far away was your wife letting the mouses out?

Message to the meece if they are reading this: I would REALLY prefer you to investigate the black plastic rectangular (follow the smell) objects rather than the weird rectangle of wood and spirally metal with newspaper underneath and a small wooden mouse-shaped coffin lying nearby.
We keep it switched on - works wonders on spiders. She was letting them out far away, but it was the hundreds of babies she was catching every morning! :eek:

Digger

Hmmm. . .nothing last night. Been advised to leave traps there 48hrs before resetting with fresh produce.

Digger

Seemed to disappear for a few days having cleared droppings etc from the garage. Have had one snapper and two humanes in their for a month, plus a snapper in the top floor kitchen inside a cupboard (evidence of droppings). Droppings returned fairly quickly.Saw a few extra droppings in the cupboard this morning but the trap still set. So since I last posted haven't caught a single critter. Going to see if I can work out their route upstairs and try and block it off, wont be easy as its a large property.

Guess I am going to have to buy some of those horrible sticky sheets, similar to large Post-It notes with extra glue on, and lay them along their paths.

EDIT

Tried everything - only thing that worked was this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300218908279

... on the HIGHEST setting. Not seen a mouse since. Also not seen a spider, bugs since either!
No harm in trying one of these. I am relying on you here Kieron ;).

Last edited: