1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HUM on 5x100

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by jayla, Mar 23, 2005.

1. jayla

jayla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I have a strange problem with my 5x100 AMP. If I switch on channel L/R I have nearly no hum in my speakers. Once i add the center channel or one of the surround channels I get a soft hum on all of the channels. If I activate all channels I still have this hum on all channels but a little bit softer than before. Its not a very loud hum at all but I find there should be no hum at all in such excellent AMP.
    Is there anyone who knows where this hum could come from :lease:
    (It is independently from all the other equipment; I have an own current-circle for my equipment).

Best regards
    Joachim

2. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Sounds like a small ground loop problem. To be honest in modern houses it could be coming from anywhere and its unlikely that the amp is the culprit :) It will be due to an interaction somewhere, its usually a signal cable crossing the path of a power cable. I had a similar problem with a big 200WPC Rotel amp I bought second hand. In the end it turned out that the power lead the guy gave me wasnt the original. The one he gave me was earthed and it didnt need to be. As soon as I disconected the earth the buzz went away :thumbsup:

3. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I had a couple of those 200W Rotels and can not tell anything good about them. Crap IMHO, both RB991 and RB993. I spoke to some people in German B&W-Classe-Rotel distribution and all they could tell me was sorry for Rotel, buy Classe and you won't have any problems! (That may also be the reason why they appointed a clueless kid to be Rotel product manager at that time)

On the top of that Rotels do tend to produce hum in some cases. Original models (before -THX certification) were isolated and THX models got then earthed. Even with correct power cables hum was there, especially with sensitive speakers. Also the gain of these amps used to shift up and down a bit although specs were claiming 29dB. In short words it was matter of luck, what piece you get.

So my advice to anyone would be to go elsewhere.

4. Raphie

Raphie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I just sold my Rotel RMB-1095, tomorrow i get my 100x5R, i expect this one to be a lot more silent