Hum From Turntable to Soundbar over Optical

Eddy555

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I've recently purchase a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable and this is connected through a Pro-Ject Phono E box which outputs to a Samsung Q950T soundbar over an optical cable (The only way I get get audio into the soundbar).
The turntable is connected to the Phono box by the supplied phono cables, and I've used the incorporated ground wire to connect the turntable to the phono box as well.
All the devices (turntable, phono box and soundbar) are connected to the same 4 way adapter.
However there is still some hum evident from the turntable.
If I disconnect the ground wire from the phono box, the hum is very noticable, so this is doing something to help.
Is there a way to completely get rid of the hum?
I've tried the soundbar plugged into a different multiway from the turntable and phono box but it made no difference.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers

As the reviews for the Phono E on Amazon UK seem to confirm, the Phono E is not adequately earthed when used on it's own or when using just the optical output. Normally you would connect the Phono E to a stereo pre-amp or stereo integrated amp using screened cables from the RCA/phono sockets on it's back panel and assuming the pre-amp or integrated amp are correctly earthed it would get a reliable earth connection via the screens in the cables. Using an optical cable does not provide a wired electrical connection to a reliable earth point. You need to try connecting the GND terminal on the back of the Phono E to an earth connection (as well as it's current connection to the turntable). This should reduce the hum significantly.

--
JB

Thanks for the reply, that makes a lot of sense so I'll look at how I can do that. When I touch parts of the turntable (like the arm) the hum gets a bit worse, like it's using me as part of the ground as well. I'll investigate how I can properly earth the setup.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom