1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hum from the subwoofer!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Sllimsher, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Sllimsher

Sllimsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys! I wanted to know if somebody can help me with this problem. I've searched an answer by google, and have found myself on your forum archive page. I've read a topic about this sort of problem but found out that it was too old for renewing.

So, my problem is: Humming sub. I noticed that if change the position of the cables a bit the humming stops, and then if move them again it renews... What should i do? Go to the store and stick the warranty in their nose, or try and solve the problem by myself?

:)

2. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Hello and welcome to the forum , the problem your having sounds like a sheilding problem.Upgrading to a better cable might solve the problem or just relocating the cables.

3. Gman85

Gman85

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What sub have you got?

Maybe check all cables are connected tightly and properly. I can only recommend as slimmsher and get a new interconnect, but even still this may not cure it 100% as some subs are just poorly designed!

4. Spyro

Spyro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hello Sllimsher. Is it a passive or an active sub? If it is active, the transformers in all subs I have heard give a very slight hum with no input. I have an M&K 350THX and even that has a very slight hum. If you disconnect the input cable does this cure the hum? If so it is probably a poorly shielded cable or it could be run too close to the power cable. Another cause could be a ground loop fault.

5. Sllimsher

Sllimsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, actually i haven't got such a sofisticated and professional sub, just a simple "Altec Lansing" audio system!
    And also i found out that on the head(part where it is connected to the sub) of my "RIGHT" cable there is some kind of a blue mark.. it's appearance is not uniformal, it's like some kind of fungus.. =) guess that most have some relation to the problem.. And considering "shielded cables" i heard that men fixed this problem of mine by buying some of these cables. I'm kinda' new to these audio-technical terms =) ... plainly: What does a "shielded cable" mean? =)

P.S.: What do you think about the company which i bought my audio-system\sub from? Is it a reliable firm? What kind of reputation does it have?.. In the shop i'd been told that this audio system had the finest quality sound from all of their products, so i had decided to buy it...

6. Gman85

Gman85

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what altec lansing??? In terms of PC speakers they're fairly good, up there with creative. But for home cinema and music use.........

Not the greatest-you get what you pay for. The shop might have been giving you the lyrics trying to sell you them, just like Richersounds tell you how good the Gale speakers are (cough cough) :)

What audio system shop did you buy it from?