• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Hum from Sub.

CaptainSEO

Standard Member
Have a budget AV system. Yamaha RX-V371 and Tannoy SFX5.1.

I recently heard a low Hum from the sub. If I pull the lead out the back of the amp, it hums louder. If I pull it out the back of the sub, silence.

I have to assume a dodgy lead right?

I have trunked the lead in, filled and painted, so need a confirmed diagnosis before I pull it apart.

mannyo

proberbly the lead, I had exactly the same with my setup and in the end replaced the lead with a nice expensive screened one and the result was silence.

You can work around it and mask the hum a bit, by turning down the volume on the back of the sub and then increasing the sub out setting on the amp to compensate. The hum will still be there, but will be less noticeable.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
I recently heard a low Hum from the sub. If I pull the lead out the back of the amp, it hums louder. If I pull it out the back of the sub, silence.

I have to assume a dodgy lead right?

I have trunked the lead in, filled and painted, so need a confirmed diagnosis before I pull it apart.
Get hold of a shielded coax lead and test by simply laying it across the room. If it works, you'll have a confirmed diagnosis and resolution, and then you can start on the hard installation work.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom