Huge loss in performance, only in the last 24hrs!

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by kayzee, Jun 1, 2008.

1. kayzee

kayzee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Since last night, my PC has been running very slow, almost unusable.

I hadn't had much protection in the past, but today ran CCleaner, then SpyBot, then AVG and have defragged it too. No change, in fact you could almost say it's worse.

It mainly seems to be online, for instance some websites are fine, some are not. This forum, drbforum.co.uk and hotukdeals.com are all fine. However corsasport.co.uk, yahoo.co.uk, ask.co.uk wont load... google wont get past the front screen. lostpedia.org loaded, but took forever.

This is happening with both IE and Firefox.

I checked msconfig for startup, and there were a few strange entries I stopped. One though, wouldn't stop. So I deleted it in safe mode, it's:

Startup Item: BM637d7a93
    Manufacturer: Unknown
    Command: Rundll32.exe "C:\Users\kz\AppData\Local\Temp\rrgdmajt.dll",s

As soon as I restarted, it was back :rolleyes: I would google it, but unforunately as I said I can't get past the front screen on google!

When I was on lostpedia.org one page wouldn't load and down the bottom lots of advert names seem to be loading, but I would of thought SpyBot or AVG would of caught this? I'm going to run Norton in the morning.

Any ideas!? It's driving me mad, think it may be a reformat time :(

2. Boon72

Boon72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    id clean out all the temp's
    *c:\windows\temp
    *C:\Users\kz\AppData\Local\Temp\ for all users
    * temp internet files folder for all users

3. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    go into a dos command window and run

wmic startup list full

pipe the output to a dataset.

4. Plissken

Plissken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you have the new AVG 8, it may be worth checking that it is not doing a full scan behind the scenes. I have the spyware scan running weekly and noticed a significant slowdown with everything whilst that was running.

Of course this suggestion is a long shot, but my girlfriend was complaining of a slow PC and this was the problem. The spyware/virus scan was running for hours in the background whilst she was browsing the Internet and burning a DVD.

Double-click on the AVG icon at bottom right, choose computer scanner on the left and check the settings in there.

5. Plissken

Plissken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ...Which leads me to think that it would be worth pressing CTRL + SHIFT + ESC to see which processes are using up the most CPU time in task manager.

6. Codehead

Codehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,158
    Does it always have the same name? It looks random and Google only has one hit (this page :rotfl:)

However, If it is the same file name each time, do the safe mode delete thing again and create an empty, read-only text file called rrgdmajt.dll in the same place before restarting. That might trip it up enough to get yourself back on track and stop the thing getting into memory next boot.