Huge FPS drop while playing any game

Chuck N0r1s

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have recently bought a new graphics card MSI GTX 460 Hawk to play battlefield bad company 2 properly. However I have noticed that the FPS suddenly drops down immensely and after few seconds it shoots back up to normal which is around 55+. I have tried different games and this problem is occurring on them as well. I have even tried playing on the lowest settings as possible and even then the FPS will drop. This is really annoying me to bits so please guide me through on how to solve this problem.:lease:

list system specs :smashin: as the Gpu is not a decider of all the Pc as everything works in tandam,
could be cpu not fast enough for the card you have i.e bottlenecking or even drop-outs on the severs your using with high ping, even the Psu not giving enough power.

My specs are :
Processor : Intel Core 2 Quad [email protected] (Stock)
Memory :DDR2-SDRAM PC2-5300 (333MHz) - [DDR2-666] (3072MB)
Motherboard: Asus Berkely
PSU: Coolermaster 750W
Display: MSI GTX 460 HAWK(default clocks)

i would say overclock the 6600 but looking at that Mb , it does not look the best for this , was that board out of a pre-built system? also i would see if you can get a bios update for that board as well , even better replace the board there is some really good 775 boards out there you can get second hand you could even get a aftermarket cooler (look on classifieds) then overclock the q6600 which can do 3.2 24/7 if it is the GO version that is.

i take it the first dim is 1gb? as your mixing ram take that out and just run at 3gb for now and see how you go. what windows are you running as well?

Last edited:
Hi thx for your reply and yes it is GO version and I am running Windows 7 Pro 32bit. In addition I was thinking of replacing the Mobo and getting one of those artic coolers for the CPU. However I am broke after purchasing the PSU and Graphics Card but I will try my best to get it soon as possible. I think RAM is also a let down, its 1GBx2+512MBx2 at 667 Mhz. However you really think these things are what causing FPS drop. I have always played on low settings on almost all games on 8500 GT which might explain why I didn't get the FPS drop as the CPU usage wasn't maxed on those settings. I will do further testing on low settings and see if I get FPS drops. Once again thank you for your replies.

not 100% on mem mate, but if you had serious mem issue you would get bluescreens and system freezes, just mixing all types of mem with that mb may not be that good at usage of allocating well, one reason i said just use the 3gb mem as it is worth a try, power regulation maybe an issue on that board i.e feeding the 460 via the pci slot as well .

i have run games on 1gb that recommended 2gb and all you get is load times that are faster, but in game i get no Fps drop, but i have always clocked the cpu if i had a beefy gpu.

also you may have programs running in the background ect that can give you a huge hit as well, Fraps is one of them or windows trying to update ect.

at least your looking at an Mb and cooler :) try and get a mem dual channel kit thrown in as well :devil:,

i can recommend a gigabyte X38 DQ6 mb as i use to own one with that Go and it run at 3.2 24/7 with a Dual 4gb kit.

Last edited:
I had a problem like this in the past and it was solved by installing my games on a seperate physical HD. What was happening was that whilst playing a game some OS task, AV or other app in the system tray was accessing the disk and causing a temporary drop in fps.

Your system specs are OK but as suggested I would sort out your RAM. Try and get 2 or 4 PC6400/DDR2-800 matched dimms that can run in proper dual-channel mode (if your motherboard supports it). There's plenty of 2nd hand ddr2 in the classifieds section of this very forum!

Hi thx for your reply and yes I will try with just 2GB RAM and also will try your method Clav, for reference the 460 is not just running on the power from PCI, its also connected with two 6 pins connectors to feed it. I will post back the results of both methods thx.

OK this seems to be bit weird but I didn't get any FPS drops while I played for solid hour on high settings. I think this could be because I shutdown lot of process such as windows update, MSI software, Skype etc. To my surprise the game is working fine so I think this issue is memory related so therefore I will buy some new memory with higher frequency. Thx for all your help case closed.

Seeing as how newb I am at computer I would like some help on selecting what RAM sticks I should buy. My mobo supports the following:
Memory upgrade information
Dual channel memory architecture
Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
Supported DIMM types:
DDR2-800
DDR2-667
Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
Supports 2 GB DDR2 DIMMs
Supports 8 GB on 64 bit PCs
Supports 4 GB* on 32 bit PCs

You want to get ddr2-800 which can also be called pc2-6400 memory. You've most likely got a 32-bit OS, and so you should aim to get a 4GB kit consisting of 2x2Gb dimms.

Something like this should sort you out.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom