Huge explosion in Beirut

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
I'm surprised there's not a thread about this, an absolutely enormous explosion has taken place in Beirut. I've not seen any level of urban destruction on this scale since 911. It was apparently heard over 150 miles away in Cypress.

Currently no real details on the cause of the explosion or number of people dead/injured.

richp007

Distinguished Member
You just beat me to it mate.

That second explosion is unbelievable.

Sadly a lot of people dead or seriously injured by the sounds of it too :(

arenaman

Sadly Beirut+ explosion= partially expected

TheHighFlyingBirds

Has anyone seen the clip of the view from a boat on the water, which shows the shock wave travel across the water, its scarily fast? Also video knocking around of someone filming from the building next to fire work factory when the big one went off. Looks like a bad one, and the coloured cloud/smoke doesn't look good, hope people were evacuated before it went off.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Just watched the video on the BBC - if it were an airstrike then it is either two impacts or a very large secondary.

If you look at the view from the boat there is already loads of smoke which normally would look bad enough, then there is flames immediately followed by the doughnut shaped shock wave.

Even the Lebanese government seems to be saying it is a warehouse known to be holding very explosive materials. That fits with the video.

The unknown is what triggered the secondary explosion.

Cheers,

Nigel

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Anyone know what the building is that's on fire.

You can see in the footage nearest above this post, tiny explosions that look like fireworks going off (Note that I'm not saying that's what they are, just what they look like)

BB3Lions

Distinguished Member

The president of Lebanon said on Twitter that 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate was stored in a warehouse for six years without safety measures.

BigA1

This and the comments are worth reading.

If you watch the buildings closest to the explosion in foreground they simply disintegrate and dissappear almost vaporised...

To think people would have been there.... that is horrifying.

sbriggs

One to not speculate about I think .

The location in itself just fuels speculation however accidents happen even in places with a history of trouble

nheather

Distinguished Member
Governments everywhere, whatever political persuassion.

”Yes we have been aware of this huge amount of highly explosive material being kept unsafely in a warehouse for many years now”

The typical after the event comment.

Why the fudge didn’t you do anything sooner.

”This is an extremely dangerous situation but let’s do fudge all and hope nothing bad happens”

Not a dig at anyone in particular, governments and their departments are pretty much the same all over the world.

Cheers,

Nigel