Huge difference between audiolevels in games vs BR films

Fjorko

^^ Yep, noticed this too !

winstano

It'll probably be down to the BD mastering process...

With games, everything's always set at a loud volume, whereas (with DVD at least), the loudest possible sound will be set at -0.4dB... This will mean that as there isn't a compressor applied, the sounds will have much more dynamic range (ie, scenes that are quiet will be very quiet, whereas explosions will be VERY LOUD etc...)

vallhall

^^ Yep, noticed this too !

Hi

Do you thinking change your VSA-AX10i to some HDMI amp?. I replaced my VSA-AX10i with Yamaha RX-V2700 and get tru "HD" sound through HMDI from my PS3, its amazing, btw i still have my Pioneer amp, and honosly i cant hear much difference in SQ between these amps:clap:

Fjorko

Hi

Do you thinking change your VSA-AX10i to some HDMI amp?. I replaced my VSA-AX10i with Yamaha RX-V2700 and get tru "HD" sound through HMDI from my PS3, its amazing, btw i still have my Pioneer amp, and honosly i cant hear much difference in SQ between these amps:clap:

:) Funny you should mention it. I am considering it, but cannot jump ship just yet. As you know the AX10i was a VERY expensive piece of kit, and I'm not sure if it's worth selling, coz you'll never get back even half of what you paid for it - however if you don't sell it and just store it, what do you do with it ? Difficult situation I know ---> plus there's the missus that will question the need for another AMP ( although I did hint !)

I may wait for the new Denon HD amps to come out before I get a new amp.

BTW, does the PS3 output True-HD yet ( I know it supports it ) ? Or are you getting LPCM over HDMI to your Yammi ?

Cheers m8 !:hiya:

vallhall

:) Funny you should mention it. I am considering it, but cannot jump ship just yet. As you know the AX10i was a VERY expensive piece of kit, and I'm not sure if it's worth selling, coz you'll never get back even half of what you paid for it - however if you don't sell it and just store it, what do you do with it ? Difficult situation I know ---> plus there's the missus that will question the need for another AMP ( although I did hint !)

I may wait for the new Denon HD amps to come out before I get a new amp.

BTW, does the PS3 output True-HD yet ( I know it supports it ) ? Or are you getting LPCM over HDMI to your Yammi ?

Cheers m8 !:hiya:

Hi again Fjorko

Yes, the PS3 output and decode trueHD sound to my yammi and the yammi shows MPCM on the panel wich means i getting looseless sound, so no need waiting for HDMI 1.3 amps, to me anyway:)

Stinja

Distinguished Member
Is this percieved sound you're talking about?

I'm guessing its much like adverts on TV seem to be "louder", but its due to adverts (and games) needing to be less concerned with the difference between low and high volumes.

With a movie you need to have the average volume set for people talking and so on, reserving enough volume for the user-setting to get a big "bang" when needed, and similarly make whispers quiet. If the movie studios set the average volume at the same as adverts/games then there wouldnt be much difference between someone talking and an explosion, thus lessening the explosions impact.

kevin_irl

I was watching a bluray a few days ago and I had the volume in my samsung up to the end and it still was fairly quiet! If I had it that loud for sky digital then it would blow my ears - just shows you the difference! Must get a nice 5.1!

williemaykit

Don't know if this will help?? I did notice it yesterday when watching Pursuit of Happyness. When I switched the sound to PCM 5.1 Uncompressed, it was alot louder and clearer

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom