1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Huge bit of console news!!

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by CAS FAN, Mar 16, 2004.

1. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    This could be a hugely influential move in the toppling of Sony's supremecy in the console market! According to games radar KCET have announced that PES4 (although maybe a different version to the upcoming PS2 PES4) is to be released on X-Box! Check out the link below!

http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=28977&subsectionid=1586

The PES series is many peoples reason to own a PS2 along with the other giant Gran Turismo. I personally feel that they could do a much better version of the game on the X-Box than the PS2...and if they do I will simply have to bite the bullet and buy one! This move should inject some life back into the stale console market if nothing else!

2. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    If GT4 switched to xbox, I'd do the same :)

3. supersonic87

supersonic87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not to offend mate, but this was the big news four days, and is even on this very page.

linky

Rich

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I think that it'll be pretty hard for GT4 to be worse than GT3 which is rubbish compared to GT1 and GT2.

Besides, XB has the best racing game in PGR2, and GT4 will have to be one of those 11/10 games to come close. And theres no chance it will have the same level of online play as PGR2 unless Sony buck the trend.

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Aye I know Supersonic87, read it on ISSEXTREME on the 12th i think but couldn't see it on this forum after a quick scan so thought i'd post it. Appologies if it's repeated, your link just goes to the home page though.

I do agree though Gaffer74, if GT went to X-Box then that would pretty much do it for me. When it comes to console games in the racing and footie genres the Gran Turismo and PES games are way ahead of the competition. Personally i'm a game fan not a fanboy of one particular console so I would always welcome these games on the best console (currently the X-Box).

The X-Box HD would allow for easier patching of the game (pain in the arse on the PS2, having to patch and burn a CD on a PC), should have better graphics and sound and with X-Box Live it would be superb! Yep I reckon I may have to grab myself an X-Box come August - can't wait, it should be the best version so far by a country mile!

6. 2manyconsoles

2manyconsoles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    worth mentioning that GT is made by Sony so its never going to be even a remote possibility

7. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,150
    Polyphony- the compnay that oversees the development of the GT series is nominally independant although not really making waves with the other two consoles.

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    not actually true, it's made by polyphonic digital who are currently licensed, exclusivley to Sony. This doesn't always have to be the case. If you go back only a few years people would have said that Sonic appearing on a Nintendo would never be a remote possibility. I agree at the moment it looks highly unlikely that GT will appear on an X-Box, especially as Sony dominate the console market with around 65%!! of the TV console market to themselves (I say TV as GBA also has a big slice but handhelds are a different market).

One this about the video games industry that is certain...is it's uncertainty!

9. Seb1

Seb1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :laugh: PGR2 is one of the worst racing games I have played. It is soooo boring. The graphics are quite poor also. Okay there are alot of polygons and the cities are detailed, but the cars look sh*t! They have no reflections and lack detail. GT3 in my opinion is better as the the cars look like their real life counterparts and the handling is more refined and subtle, but it does suffer from terrible AI as does PGR2. PGR2 is probably great online, but thats it!

Rallisport challenge and Moto GP are both better racing games than PGR2.

Oh and look out for TOCA: Race Driver 2 it has the potential to redefine racing games forever...lets pray! :rolleyes:

10. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    :confused: me thinks you are a bit confused.

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    GT3 is better than PGR2, IMO. It's not really fair to compare them directly though as PGR2 is an arcade racer, more akin to the likes of Burnout, NFSU and going back a bit the Ridge Racer games. GT is more a simulation which strives for realistic handling and graphical representation of the cars.

It's almost like comparing PES to FIFA (although may I add that PGR2 is a better game than FIFA)...one is a realistic, deep and hugely rewarding interpretation of the sport and the other one is a highly polished but shallow 'arcade' game with better graphics and sound, but limited and unrewarding gameplay. If i need to explain to you which one is which then there really is no hope!

Currently PGR2 has online play with X-Box Live, which is great fun and the reason that this game does so well. GT does not yet have online play (until GT4 is released) so it's not fair to compare the games on this level until GT4 is released. To be fair to PGR2, it's probably the best home Arcade racer so far and the online aspect adds a lot to the game but personally my games to be deeper and more involving.

I personally think that GT4 could well be one of the fastest selling, and best selling video games of all time with the PS2 user base now over 70 Million, it's a universally liked game and will be bought by the bucket load in all regions (USA,EUROPE & ASIA), the wait has been a long one, it's got online play. I personally can't wait!

12. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    :laugh:

GT3 is not close to PGR2 mate. Plain and simple. How can it be?

Mate, PGR2 is anything but shallow, and to lambast it and such is foolosh. It isn't an "arcade" racer in the extent that ridge racer and sega rally are arcade games.

It is as deep and involving as they come and anyone who has played it online will testify to its greatness.

Unless GT4 is fully online then it simply CAN'T come close.

13. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    each to their own GG...your obviously more of an arcade racer fan. IMO PGR2 isn't in the same league as GT3 as I much prefer the 'sim' type of game.

GT4 is fully online with 6 player races, the details are not secret and have been in the public domain for a while. PD are however sitting on something very special with GT4 that they are not letting on until release. What is for sure though is that the online additions should be something amazing.

The thing with GT3 is that yes the AI is pretty poor on the cars but it's the satisfaction from mastering the courses that is second to none. Whilst yes there are better "racers" with better AI and car racing action, such as PGR2, the level of skill, accuracy, ability to read a track and how the car behaves is just awesome on GT3. I agree that GT3 can't compete with PGR2 when it comes to wheel to wheel racing action but that's not what I play it for. 2 player races over 30-40 laps on GT3 are just heavenwhen you have two well matched drivers - when you have this online then it will be the best Car racing experience on a console to date.

14. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Who cares about GT...... Well not me anyway. But it is fair to say footy games are a major driver of console sales. Over time Sonys dominance over the major gaming titles is begining to wane.

I wonder how long people will be willing to buy a vastly inferior console just because of the name and a couple of exclusive titles.

Better sound, better graphics much better online capabilities. Each to their own but I will be sticking with xbox.

15. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Football games are big sellers in the European market, Asia comes second and as for the US, I doubt any soccer game would sway a trueblood American :p

A console needs a good breadth of games.

Besides what really shifts consoles is RPGs (both in US and JP) you should see the queues that occur when a new S-E game is released in Japan :)

Final Fantasy titles shift more units than any other game I would bet over the entire world.

Each market is different.

16. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    All of which are infinitely more important than the quality of games? :rolleyes:

I don't want to be seen as a troll but some of the pro-Xbox comments on this board are laughable. Do some of you actually believe what you are telling people?

17. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    there we go again, people rubbishing other consoles. I quote "...and to lambast it and such is foolosh". Comments like these are inflammatory and not needed. Besides, I'm still trying to figure out what "foolosh" means :D

Children children children......A few things to consider:

a: PGR2=arcade racer, GT4/3=Racing SIMULATOR.
    If I owned a TVR tuscan, GT would give me more realistic handling characteristics which I could compare to my actual car whereas PGR would give me the fantasy arcade racing view. Completely DIFFERENT ways of making a racing game imho. You either like realism (GT) or arcade (PGR), which DOESN'T make the other defunct or less worthy whatsoever.

b:ALL current consoles are 128 bit and are virtually identical. Without using the special characters, most NORMAL people cannot tell the difference between the consoles if they played Soul Calibur 2 across all three consoles (I know 'cos I've done so).Of course, anoraks who sit there with a magnifying glass , pausing the game continually, and comparing all the different screenshots with eachother MAY see slight differences, but the majority of us have one console and therefore this is a moot point. We tend to just get on with it and enjoy the game.

c: The MOST important thing about consoles (imho) is NOT the console itself, but the GAMES. Further, the most important thing about the games is THE GAMEPLAY, which is roughly the same regardless of console. What I mean is, a beautifully rendered game which plays like sh@te IS NOT AS GOOD as an amazingly addictive game with inferior polygons (pacman/galaxian etc etc - yes they STILL stand the test of time).
    This means that things like PES being made for other consoles IS an imortant topic because Games help SELL consoles (not the other way round maybe?)

d: YET AGAIN, another perfectly decent thread ruined by children (in mind if not age) clogging it up insisting that THEIR console is better (you know who you are). Please post somewhere else, please MODERATOR- start a new thread where those of us so inclined can go and abuse/molest each other (to leave the rest of us grown ups to discuss things intelligently over here).

e:has anyone noticed how only 1 specific type of console causes its owners to spend inordinate time worried about what OTHER people own. The other two consoles don't really have this effect.....hmmmm.....must be a bug somewhere. Overall : EACH TO THEIR OWN - there is absolutely NO NEED to keep trying to convince everyone else you've bought the right console. It's OK. WE BELIEVE YOU. Satisfied?

e: Apologies to Gthom3 but I thought that by deviating from original point a bit, it might nip it in the bud now...:smashin:

Rant over:lesson:

PS If you STILL wanna fight 'bout it, read the 'Mine's bigger than yours' thread first. 'Nuff said:laugh:

18. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    I already tried that :( It is a sticky at the top.

It lasted for a little while :p

One more console argument on this thread and I am afraid it will be snip snip close time :)

19. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Well...going back to the original topic. I'm buy PE4 when it does come out on XBOX. Great fun :)

Jus.

P.S. Haven't bought PGR2 or GT3. Owned GT1 & MSR and played them to death. Don't mind playing them round friends but I'm not paying £40 for a tweaked game I'm already bored with :D

20. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    how do you explain fifa beating the almighty pro evo in the sales charts then ??? lmao if its not pro evo it aint footie :) IMHO:devil:

21. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Sinzer & Gaffer74 & fully agree. The purpose of this thread was to discuss the potential impact that the release of PES4 would have on the console market.

I for one have stated that which ever console I own is not a factor to me and should the best PES game become available on the X-Box, then I will buy one.

I feel that this forum would generate far more productive threads if people stuck to discussing console games not consoles themselves. I mean what's more interesting...discussing games or discussing how many polygons a console can throw about.

Anyway regarding Jus's comment...if you don't buy updates with little tweaks then why buy PES4...surely you will be sticking with an earlier version be it ISS Pro Evo on the PSX, PES1 on the PS2? After all each subsequent version of PES has just been an improved version of the previous one. GT4 will be far more than a tweaked game as well...it will have full online play, stacks of new cars & tracks and a load of stuff they haven't even announced yet.

I do agree sith Sinzer in that a console does need a good varied selection of games. If history has tought us anything it's that the most successful machines have a great game in all the main genre's. Currently PS2 has PES3 (footie), GT3(Racing), Final Fantasy/Everquest Online adventures (RPG & MMORPG), VF4Evo (Fighting). I guess that the console will start to lose it's supremecy if it starts to lose these 'killer apps' to the opposition. This is esspecially so if the console they lose them to has more power and can do the game better, such as you would expect with the X-Box.