Hue Play HDMI Sync box

Had a reply back from Phillips:

“Hi there, thank you for your message. That function will be compatible with any infrared remote control. Do keep in mind that this function is available by the end of spring. Hope this info helps!”

I’m considering purchasing the hdmi sync box, but I don’t have a separate audio amp - I set the Xbox one x and ub820 to output Dolby bitstream, so I can pass through to my tv which then passes through to Sonos playbase and surrounds via optical.

Would the sync box still pass through Dolby bitstream? Thanks for any help!

You've made me feel guilty now for the "Steamer" photo so, although I can't specifically answer your questions, I'll share my thoughts...

I've had the Sync Box for a couple of months and really like it with the following set-up...

Hue Lightstrip (On top of/behind the TV)
2 x Hue Play Bars (Left and Right of the TV)
4 x Hue Blooms (2 to each side of the room, 2 in the rear corners)
Samsung QE65Q90R TV (No Dolby Vision, just HDR10)
Arcam AVR550 Receiver

I have the Sync Box connected to the 2nd HDMI output of the Receiver and it seems to work fine (and sync ok) with Dolby Vision enabled films from my Apple TV, although my display, which is connected to the main HDMI output of the Receiver, doesn't do Dolby Vision.

Although the "Extreme" setting can be fun and good for demos, I find "Subtle" to be the best for me.

I usually have the brightness set at 50% for daytime viewing and 25% for nighttime.

The only annoyance is that the syncing usually stops for about 20 seconds, one or two times, when watching an average length film but will resume again on its own with no need for me to touch anything.

So basically you've just plugged the sync box in the 2nd monitor HDMI port and thats it? Nothing else?

I have the Denon 3300, but this is also connecting to a power amp, I have a spare 2nd HDMI on the Denon.

Sources into the Denon are, Xbox, 4k player.

I want it for gaming really.
Cheers

So basically you've just plugged the sync box in the 2nd monitor HDMI port and thats it? Nothing else?

I have the Denon 3300, but this is also connecting to a power amp, I have a spare 2nd HDMI on the Denon.

Sources into the Denon are, Xbox, 4k player.

I want it for gaming really.
Cheers

Yep - That’s exactly what I’ve done. The 2nd HDMI out mirrors what’s being output on the primary HDMI out on the Arcam. I’m not sure if that’s the way it works on a Denon too.

Yep - That’s exactly what I’ve done. The 2nd HDMI out mirrors what’s being output on the primary HDMI out on the Arcam. I’m not sure if that’s the way it works on a Denon too.

£208 quid this box, I'm sure I read somewhere when it was coming out it would be 150. Hardly anywhere sells it. Dunno if it's worth that much.. I'll have to see ha.

Hi everyone, odd development yesterday. I’m using the dongle method on a denon x2200 amp. Everything has been fine, but now when using the hue sync - output from both HDMI sources on the amp is limited to 1080p? If I turn off the sync then 4K instantly returns? To be clear whilst the sync is plugged into the HDMI source 2, the amp will only output 1080p via both outputs. It’s almost like the sync is limiting the 4K output? Anyone else noticed this development? Nothing else has changed at all, it worked one night and now it doesn’t?

Hi everyone, odd development yesterday. I’m using the dongle method on a denon x2200 amp. Everything has been fine, but now when using the hue sync - output from both HDMI sources on the amp is limited to 1080p? If I turn off the sync then 4K instantly returns? To be clear whilst the sync is plugged into the HDMI source 2, the amp will only output 1080p via both outputs. It’s almost like the sync is limiting the 4K output? Anyone else noticed this development? Nothing else has changed at all, it worked one night and now it doesn’t?

I wish I hadn't seen your post 🙂

Whilst checking to see if I had the issue (which I didn't, initially), I saw that there was a software update for the sync box. After updating, I now have this exact same problem. I wonder where we can find out what's been updated and who's the best person to complain to?

I wish I hadn't seen your post 🙂

Whilst checking to see if I had the issue (which I didn't, initially), I saw that there was a software update for the sync box. After updating, I now have this exact same problem. I wonder where we can find out what's been updated and who's the best person to complain to?
Arghhh sorry bud. I thought it must have been an update that caused this! I tried a new hdmi and it didn't change so I've now placed the sync between amp and TV and the problem has gone, but still I preferred it the other way!

Ok, seems to be a HDMI copy protect issue? I’ve returned to the dongle method, and I’ve connected the sync box to an unused hdmi port on the back of my tv and this seems to have sorted it

Arghhh sorry bud. I thought it must have been an update that caused this! I tried a new hdmi and it didn't change so I've now placed the sync between amp and TV and the problem has gone, but still I preferred it the other way!

On the Hue subreddit I've just read several people having the same issue.

Not sure if this helps but a couple of people have reported if you connect a spare HDMI input on your TV to the sync box output it resolves the issue. It would appear a recent update has made it necessary to have a path in and out of the sync box to work. I guess the sync box has changed the way it deals with HDCP and EDID data in some way.

Edit: what @CHOMPO said, we must have been posting at the same time.

Last edited:
I was hoping to do the same zone 2 trick as well. I have a Denon x3600 and it only outputs 1080p when it’s hooked up to zone 2. What is the “dongle method”?

Thanks!

I was hoping to do the same zone 2 trick as well. I have a Denon x3600 and it only outputs 1080p when it’s hooked up to zone 2. What is the “dongle method”?

Thanks!
Hello, dongle method is what your doing, using the 2nd output. Before the update you didn't need to do anything else. Since the update you now need to run an hdmi from the sync to an unused 4k hdmi port on the back of the TV. If you only have one such port then it appears you have to integrate it between the amp and the TV. This is an "improvement" Philips just implemented.

Hello, dongle method is what your doing, using the 2nd output. Before the update you didn't need to do anything else. Since the update you now need to run an hdmi from the sync to an unused 4k hdmi port on the back of the TV. If you only have one such port then it appears you have to integrate it between the amp and the TV. This is an "improvement" Philips just implemented.
Oh I see. Thanks for the reply. Does the HDMI have to go to the tv or would hooking it up to an unused HDMI port on my Denon work? My TV is wall mounted and it’s a pain to run another up to the TV...

Oh I see. Thanks for the reply. Does the HDMI have to go to the tv or would hooking it up to an unused HDMI port on my Denon work? My TV is wall mounted and it’s a pain to run another up to the TV...
Hmm, that I don’t know. Give it a go and report back?

Hmm, that I don’t know. Give it a go and report back?
So I’m having issues getting my Apple TV 4K/Shield to output any 4K HDR signal anymore. The way I have it hooked up is:
Devices plugged into the Denon, Denon to the tv, sync box plugged into the 2nd monitor out on Denon, and a spare HDMI from the out of the sync box to the TV.

Any idea why it isn’t working? Are there any certain way the settings in the hue sync app should be?

Excellent, I've been hoping Philips would produce one of these for ages:

Does anybody know if it has any problems when connected to an AMP rather than directly to a set top box, or if it has any problems with copy protection\HDCP and the like?

Has anybody tried it with SkyQ or Virgin media?

So I’m having issues getting my Apple TV 4K/Shield to output any 4K HDR signal anymore. The way I have it hooked up is:
Devices plugged into the Denon, Denon to the tv, sync box plugged into the 2nd monitor out on Denon, and a spare HDMI from the out of the sync box to the TV.

Any idea why it isn’t working? Are there any certain way the settings in the hue sync app should be?
Well all my devices go into denon. denon to Arc HDMI 2 on tv. HSB connected to HDMI out 2 on denon and then HSB connected to HDMI 1 on tv. All my HDMI inputs on tv are 4K hdr inputs. All are set to receive 4K hdr. It all works as it did before.

After catching up on this thread I have just disabled the auto update on my sync box. The firmware update looks to need the hdmi out on the box to be actually connected to a hdmi 4K input to avoid restricting everything to 1080p. In my case I do have the synch box output going back to the receiver for my Apple TV only so that I synch lights with audio. For all other sources I use the 2nd hdmi out on my denon to drive the box. I’m hopeful that having the output from the box connected to a 4K input on the receiver will mean that it all works as before. Can anyone confirm that synch box to receiver even when the receiver is taking input from other direct connections will allow it all to work?

After catching up on this thread I have just disabled the auto update on my sync box. The firmware update looks to need the hdmi out on the box to be actually connected to a hdmi 4K input to avoid restricting everything to 1080p. In my case I do have the synch box output going back to the receiver for my Apple TV only so that I synch lights with audio. For all other sources I use the 2nd hdmi out on my denon to drive the box. I’m hopeful that having the output from the box connected to a 4K input on the receiver will mean that it all works as before. Can anyone confirm that synch box to receiver even when the receiver is taking input from other direct connections will allow it all to work?
If I’m reading your post right, it should because the HSB is in the chain. The issue seems to be that you now have to have a HSB output going to a 4K input, whereas before you didn’t need one.

My sync box is connected between my Denon amp and TV, with all my devices connected to the amp. After the update it would not pass through Dolby Vision from either Apple TV or blu ray player. Even after disabling Dolby Vision on both devices. Resolved it with a full power down of everything and a fresh set up of the sync box. The update appears to have done a very good job of trying to turn the sync box into an electronic paper weight!!

Well all my devices go into denon. denon to Arc HDMI 2 on tv. HSB connected to HDMI out 2 on denon and then HSB connected to HDMI 1 on tv. All my HDMI inputs on tv are 4K hdr inputs. All are set to receive 4K hdr. It all works as it did before.
Interesting. This is my exact same setup and I for the life of me can’t get any HDR to work!

So I thought that maybe the HDMI from the out of the HSB to HDMI 1 on the TV wasn’t good enough. I switched it with one of my good ones. That didn’t fix the issue.

This is what my Apple TV is doing:

Any ideas?? I have about 2 weeks left to return this thing to Best Buy!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom